Hi Top or Extended Cargo?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with Patrick on keeping copies of your certs on hand.

I'm currently trying to convince my boss that he should look into hiring a couple of workampers to make repairs and improvements to his second property in the coming months, as it is a nice site in a temperate winter climate and he can offer safe parking and many amenities (elec, water, wifi, tank dump), plus maybe a stipend in exchange for labor. He, unsurprisingly, wants to know if workampers have any mechanical skills or are just day laborers. Yes, I explained.

He, and many other potential hosts/employers, would be blown away by someone who brought a small binder showing their training and certs, who was willing to trade their skills for parking, amenities and a stipend.

Ok, I went and made copies yesterday and put them in sleeves in a binder. I didn't think it would matter so much. Thanks for the feedback.

just a ramble as i pass through...

Waaaay back in 1980 i purchased a used chevy hi-cube van that had a cab pass through. The box was 12 feet long and the typical 8 feet wide. I kept the outside totally stock. It looked like a plain old delivery van and i could park it nearly anywhere in total stealth mode. I lived full time in it for about 18 months. The lifestyle totally rocked. I think if you were to do some searching you could find several examples these types of vans for some real bargain prices for the room you would have to build a studio apartment on wheels!

On regular sized vans? . . .
_TGL-AWD_11-2013.jpg

My wife and i have a regular body chevy 1500 awd van with a high top. It is set up with a bed, fold-out bathroom/shower, and a portable kitchen. IMO, one person could live in an extended body van with a high top.

Great discussion on the kind of vans to consider. This is exactly also my debate of the moment. Do I want height or length or both. What kind of engine. Do I want AWD. --- assume living in full time.

The key is to be really honest with yourself about what you need. If you need to stand upright to some degree, buy a high-top. If you are a little bit of a pack-rat, buy a extended van. If not, then buy a regular low top.

The problem is most of us don't really know what we need because we have never done without it. One way to find out is go camping as often as you can. How happy are you with minimum comfort?

Or rent a van from Home Depot or U-Haul ($20 a day) and live in it in your front driveway for a week. Was it awful or a grand adventure you loved? If it is awful buy either a Class B or a high-top extended van. If it is an adventure you love get a regular lowtop or minivan.
Bob
Bob

I have decided to go with an extended van over a hightop, at least for now anyway. I don't actually "live" in the van so to speak. I sleep in it and carry my stuff. The decision was made mainly due to the load out of tools I plan to carry. I am not on any type of disability, social security, or any other type of check so I have to work while I travel. Most of my skills require tools, so there you go.

Good definition. SLEEPING IN IT versus many others who LIVE IN IT

I see you've made your decision already; congrats I hope it works out for you.
however, for those still looking; if you live up north and plan to live in a van a
hi top is a huge advantage I think. The ability to stand up inside when the temps
are uncomfortably cold outside is a huge advantage. Just my opinion though. I
seriously like my hi top. Another advantage is that it is easier to haul things in
with my living stuff in it too. 2x4's can be put in at an angle and what- not.

To be honest, I really never even "lived" in my home. Especially after my divorce. That was one of the reasons I decided to stop paying rent and start sleeping in the van in the first place. I was just going "home" to sleep. Why waste $1,000 a month on rent, electric, water, cable, and internet just to go home and sleep? Maybe do a little cooking, but not even much of that. I was a homebody while I was married, but after that I was never home. I have been like that for a long time though. To the point that back in 95 I got rid of my land line and went strictly with a mobile phone. Why have a land line? If people want to call me they would have to leave a message and hope I checked the machine before I went to bed. Didn't make sense. Now I feel the same way about paying rent.