Hi Top or Extended Cargo?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth_Muerte

Reaction score
After living in my Dodge conversion van for the last year, I now know I want to do this "permanently". My current van is not conducive imo though. So, let me ask the experts. What is more important, more horizontal space? or more vertical space? Note that I am only 5'6". Being able to stand up would be a real plus, but as a mechanic I am leaning toward a vehicle that can carry most of my tools without strain. I have found a good 1989 Ford E150 with a 300 Straight six(my personal favorite motor). It has a beefed up suspension and is very long. It is plain white, which seems to be the stealth color of choice.
While all of the above is great, I must admit that the creature comforts offered by a high top conversion van have their allure. OTOH, I can build my bed and storage facilities fairly easily in the cargo van.

My plan is to finally hit the road on or about June 1st. I have a grand total of $2150 in debt left to pay off. I have enough cash to buy the van outright, and then I can sell my current one.

Darth...DEATH???? (I'm sure there's a story behind that one!) :)

I guess the big question is: How many tools are your planning to bring along with you out on the road??

My buddy is a truck mechanic, and he'd need a small semi trailer to carry all his tools with him...but of course, he's got his welders, torches, floorjacks, jackstands, drillpress, all kinza rolling carts ect, and 3 walk-in toolboxs. (I call 'em walk-in models as they're nearly that huge!) He's also got his diagnostic machines, and a wall chocked full of repair manuals spanning many, many years, makes and models of cars and trucks.

There are also several other questions that you need to consider...
how much room are you comfortable in??
Are you going to build a kitchen or cupboards inside?
How much 'other' stuff are you bringing with you? (bicycles, canoes, moose heads, large ferns, airplane wings??)
Will you be traveling alot, or parked most of the time??
how important is fuel economy to ya??

I'm a big fan of box-trucks and stepvans mysself. I like being able to carry what I want without feeling like I'm overloading my rig, plus, I'm a big cat and I like being able to stand up to put my pants on.

...but those are just my likes. Your's very well may vary from mine.

Keep us posted on what direction you do choose to go in! Welcome to the forum!!!

...oh, and we like pictures too!! :D

What tools will I bring? Hand tools mainly, along with 2 cordless drills and a 24v cordless 3/8" impact. I will likely leave my air tools and electrical tools at my brother's house. As for "other stuff"; just clothes, camping gear, laptop, "jump box", boots, sneakers, flip flops, collapsible chair, all stuff I already carry in my current van. I will move my inverter over to the new van so I can charge my laptop, cellphone, rechargeable batteries, jump box, and my cordless tool batteries.

Has anybody tried using a small solar panel in the windshield to recharge a jump box while parking?

I have no plan to build cupboards, I use sterilite boxes instead. I do want a table, whether permanently installed or a folding one. I lean towards a folding one so I can also use it outside, same with the chair. I will put some carpet down and insulate the van. The other thing I want to install is a vent cap with a battery powered fan to pull the heat out in the summer time. I am considering using screen with velcro to cover my windows so I can open them without inviting the mosquitoes in to dine on me.

The problem is everything is a tradeoff so you just have to decide what your priorities are. I have an extended van and it has an incredible amount of space in it!

There are extended high top vans out there and that will give you the best of both worlds. Many wheel chair vans are extended high-tops so that would be a good thing to look for. If it still has the lift on it you can sell it and make some money.

You can also buy an extended low-top van and add a high-top later. However, that will cost you quite a bit unless you can get the high-top at a junk yard (buy the donor van, cut it off and then sell the junker) and put it on yourself.
Bob

Why not both? You can buy an extended van now, and later on down the line if you have the cash and the inclination, add a high top. Check out discountvantrucks.com for inexpensive high tops. You seem like a handy guy, so if you order from that site they can ship it to you and you can install it yourself (with the help of a few buddies to lift it) and save money on installation.

There's a guy at RTR right now bemoaning the fact he has only a 6-cylinder engine. He was reduced to crawling along at only 15MPH up the Grapevine on I-5. He's also loaded up with heavy stuff.

I thought I wanted/needed an extended van. I couldn't find one in my price range that wasn't beat to crap. So I got a regular length van. I've found it has enough room, and I've been getting rid of things along the way that I once believed I had to have.

I met a guy who's using only the steel storage units that came with the van, a couple of small plastic containers and a roll-out mattress. He says, "The van looks practically empty, but people are amazed at what I have packed in here."

There's a guy with a Class B RV who says he's forgotten what all he has in it.

There are vandwellers I've met hauling utility trailers for their other stuff, and they talk about getting more room. It takes them a couple of hours to pack up whenever they move.

It all depends on how you want to live.

Darth_Muerte said:
After living in my Dodge conversion van for the last year, I now know I want to do this "permanently". My current van is not conducive imo though. So, let me ask the experts. What is more important, more horizontal space? or more vertical space? Note that I am only 5'6". Being able to stand up would be a real plus, but as a mechanic I am leaning toward a vehicle that can carry most of my tools without strain. I have found a good 1989 Ford E150 with a 300 Straight six(my personal favorite motor). It has a beefed up suspension and is very long. It is plain white, which seems to be the stealth color of choice.
While all of the above is great, I must admit that the creature comforts offered by a high top conversion van have their allure. OTOH, I can build my bed and storage facilities fairly easily in the cargo van.

My plan is to finally hit the road on or about June 1st. I have a grand total of $2150 in debt left to pay off. I have enough cash to buy the van outright, and then I can sell my current one.

It's amazing what I've discovered I truly need and don't need while living in a van. When I started my van's storage was packed with everything, including a 3 drawer tool box full of tools I thought were essential. A week into being in a van I cleared half of it out keeping only the things I need on a daily basis.

When it comes to my tools I simply came to the conclusion that I will carry just enough to perform common repairs, maintenance, and do a brake job. So that 3 drawer tool box got reduced to a plastic tool tote.

I cut my water capacity in half. I discovered that I simply do not need 10 gallons of water. It took me a week to go through 5 gallons, so instead of carrying 10 gallons, I bought a water purification system and a 12v pump so that I can expand the kinds of sources I can get water from.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that LESS = MORE. But thats just IMHO.. :-D With that being said my next van will be more sophisticated when it comes to batteries and solar power. Not to mention 4wd...

I want more tools so that I can use them to support myself on the road. I have experience repairing RVs and am thinking that I can make some money doing so. Am I wrong?

One thing I will be cutting down on is clothing. I plan to cut down to 2 sets of "nice clothes"(dockers Izod pull over), 2 sets of "work clothes", 2 blue jeans, 4 tee shirts, 4 shorts, 7 underwear and seven socks. Should all easily fit in one washer load. I will also keep one light jacket and acquire a heavy jacket. I plan to chase 70-90 degrees F lol, so I hope to spend most of my time in shorts and tee shirts. I should be able to empty 3 totes just by reducing my clothing count. I currently work full time and frequent many of my old haunts, so I have too many clothes in order to avoid attracting attention. I have also gotten rid of many of my books going for PDFs where ever possible instead.

One thing I will be cutting down on is clothing. I plan to cut down to 2 sets of "nice clothes"(dockers Izod pull over), 2 sets of "work clothes", 2 blue jeans, 4 tee shirts, 4 shorts, 7 underwear and seven socks. Should all easily fit in one washer load. I will also keep one light jacket and acquire a heavy jacket. I plan to chase 70-90 degrees F lol, so I hope to spend most of my time in shorts and tee shirts. I should be able to empty 3 totes just by reducing my clothing count. I currently work full time and frequent many of my old haunts, so I have too many clothes in order to avoid attracting attention. I have also gotten rid of many of my books going for PDFs where ever possible instead.

Darth_Muerte said:
I want more tools so that I can use them to support myself on the road. I have experience repairing RVs and am thinking that I can make some money doing so. Am I wrong?

That changes the matrix of what you need. If I were a professional welder and wanted to make money on the road, I had better take a welder with me right?

I also pared down the clothes I took with me. I just kinda stuffed everything I could into a duffel bag and called it good.

Exactly. I have automotive repair experience(including RVs), Golf cart repair experience(mainly Club Car and EZ Go), HVAC experience, and residential/office maintenance/repair experience. I am hoping to use those skills to support my travels and need the tools to do so. Without going crazy and just filling my van with tools; something I could easily do.

Darth you might look into the possibility of towing a cargo trailer (with tools and a workshop).

Darth_Muerte said:
Exactly. I have automotive repair experience(including RVs), Golf cart repair experience(mainly Club Car and EZ Go), HVAC experience, and residential/office maintenance/repair experience. I am hoping to use those skills to support my travels and need the tools to do so. Without going crazy and just filling my van with tools; something I could easily do.

It may be advantageous for you to look into the old Dodge Kary-van. Its a high roof cargo van that you can divide into a living space up front, and a small workshop in the back.

PastTense said:
Darth you might look into the possibility of towing a cargo trailer (with tools and a workshop).
I did consider it, but ultimately decided not. That just seems like more aggravation then I want to deal with.

More then ever I think you need a stepvan or boxtruck. Sounds like you'll be bringing a pretty hefty mix of tools with ya. I know I will be, and I'll probably end up towing a box trailer along with me in my travels too. I'll not only need a good assortment of tools, but I'll be bringing my sales tent for working rallys, plus, I'll need to carry stock for resale. (bulky, but very lightweight...thank Heavens!!)

From the description of all the different things you've got experience working on, you should have no problem at all drumming up work to keep your systems on the road. (don't forget to ask at RV parks to trade space rent for repairs to their vehicles, their yard equipment, and their house and grounds needs...plumbing, wiring to the RV sites, ect.)
btw...if you have any certifications showing any schooling and/or degrees you've earned, you autta carry a folder to show prospective customers that you've got the experience and degrees needed to complete their jobs.
As a professional artist/customizer/fabricator...I for one have learned the value in a good portfolio.

I have my ASE cert cards and my HVAC Universal certification card. I don't plan on driving around with copies of my diplomas and transcripts though lol. I do have many references people can call though if needed.

Both. As Bob mentioned upthread, I'm liking the wheelchair van I picked up, high-top and extended.

SAM_0429.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_0429.JPG
    SAM_0429.JPG
    246.2 KB · Views: 28
Darth_Muerte said:
I have my ASE cert cards and my HVAC Universal certification card. I don't plan on driving around with copies of my diplomas and transcripts though lol. I do have many references people can call though if needed.

You only get one chance to make a first impression...why not make it a great one??

I kinda figured you were ASE cert, and I'd simply photocopy all of your diplomas and carry them wherever you go in a ring binder. no biggie. When talking to a prospective new customer, I'd have that binder already in my hands and start turning pages. When they see your diplomas right there in front of their faces, your certificates will sell your skills for ya!! (this IS a sale's job ya know...and isn't this why you got them in the first place???!!) A sheet of refrences is nice to give to them too, but then they hafta call these people, and that takes time. They want their jobs done, they don't wanna be calling strangers and asking about you.

When I'm out doing a sales pitch, I hafta be able to show my customers that I've got the experience and skills to turn out a job they'll be thrilled to have done! I show them a portfolio that has not only the kind of work they're interested in, but all kinds of other work I've done as well. This shows that if they have any other needs, or I get into a sticky spot on the job I'm already doing for them...then they'll know I've got the skills and experience to figure out how to deal with it competently.

YOU're in this same boat. Your job is to make them feel that they're in good hands, and hiring you to do the work was the easiest and best decision they've made in a long time! (this is how you'll be able to charge 'real' money for your work, and not el-cheapo give-it-away prices!)

consider this scenario:

you pull into a nice RV park, and by giving a good sales pitch, you get a job fixing their pick-up truck, and then their riding lawn mower. After they see that you do such nice, through work, they offer you more and more work until they offer you a seasonal job (complete with a nice campsite) for you to be their in-camp maintenance man...fixing leaking pipes, doing misc repair jobs, maybe even mowing the lawns. And now you've got a nice place to spend winter each year...a true snowbird....and there's even a paycheck in it for ya too!

well...this is how these things happen....it's all up to YOU!!

Why not an extended cargo van and then buy a high top from the junk yard, cut the top and install it? I'm not good at this stuff so that's why I didn't get a cargo. And cargo w/hightops are hard to find.

I have a Dodge conversion with a hightop, and that's the only thing good about it (but I still can't standup in it fully, not even close). Most of the amenities are just junk that wastes space and makes the van heavier...well maybe not the keyless entry, power windows, 3 little sliding screen doors....but that's about it IMO. All of that paneling, wood trimming, etc. extends outward and eats up significant space.

And a V6, extended van full of tools, water, food, household stuff....is going to be crawling uphill. I bet your gas mileage will be worse than a V8 even on flat land.

MK7 said:
And a V6, extended van full of tools, water, food, household stuff....is going to be crawling uphill. I bet your gas mileage will be worse than a V8 even on flat land.
LMAO! It is a straight six, 4.9L/300 cu in. More displacement than most current V-8s. It is also one of the most reliable engines ever made. and easier to service than a V-8 in tight under hood van conditions.