Pop top or not?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan

Reaction score
I'm 6'1" and I hate having to hunch over to move around my van. I'm seriously thinking about getting a pop top so I can have the benefits of a high-top but the aerodynamics/fuel efficiency of a regular van.
The question is: are they worth the money and effort? Are there gas savings with a pop top over a high-top or is the difference negligible?

Also one more question:
I live in North Carolina. Do you guys have a recommendation on where to get this done?

Thanks,
Bryan

I had several old VW vans with them and loved them in good weather. They did require more maintenance and didn’t affect fuel mileage that much at speeds below 50 MPH although at 60 I did start to notice a mile or two per gallon drop. There was more maintenance and care required when taking down camp as canvas and screens must not rub hard surfaces or they will wear out prematurely. Very difficult to stay warm in without a high out put heater in cold or windy weather. Made a great stealth hunting blind for urban pigeons! Lol!!!

I do not have a pop up top van but I do have a pop up top vintage fiberglass trailer. The company that made my trailer in the late 1970’s sold this same pop up section to the people that put it onto the VW pop up top vans.

I like it very much! It is over the kitchen area which is where you really need the extra height for stand up chores.

It remove excess heat build up on hot days. It reduces the volume of space that needs heating on cold nights. I did add extra removable cross bracing inside for really windy days. I do not leave it up on rainy days as the damp fabric would just add to humidity issues inside and the pop up roof sections do not have a lot of overhang so the screens area has to stay zipped up to keep the rain out.

Screen tearing is not an issue. The new generation of screen material I used is made with fiberglass that has a vinyl coating. It was made to be dog resistant to claw tearing damage for use on household windows and screen doors. It is also rated for no seeums.

I have no idea if it improves gas mileage in a shorter van versus owning a taller van but reducing gas cost is not the primary point of adding one. Reducing cross wind lane changing issues would certainly be an advantage but again is not the primary point. The point is simply adding headroom to a vehicle you could not otherwise stand up in. And sometimes also adding sleeping space up top.

If you are full timing in an area with a lot of rainy weather, in a cold winter area or a constantly strong winds location just get a tall van. Less hassle than a pop up top. If you can afford to, then just get a tall van. The advantages to a tall van having full time standing headroom outweigh a bit of extra gas cost. Plus another huge advantage to not having a pop up top is a whole lot more space for solar panels on the roof.

So there are no real significant positive advantages for a pop up roof van versus buying a taller van you can stand up in. That does not mean do not get one, it just means it is your choice to make.

Last edited:
Even though you'd get a little less gas mileage, a solid raised top would be a better way to go IMHO. Keeping speeds down would minimize the loss of MPG.

A fiberglass top would be better in cold weather, plus possibly give you some better storage options and I think you'd have a greater resale value.

Lastly, a poptop and installation would probably cost about the same (or even more) as a solid top. But then everything is freakin' expensive now.

My 64 Ford Travel Wagon van had an all metal pop top that was fantastic but they're no longer made. Up or down in 10 seconds and no fabric to rot. The van is long dead but I kept the pop top which is now on my truck camper. Very clever design that still works after 58 years.

I travel with a pop-top pickup camper 5 - 7 months a year. My soft side is made out of is the same material as white water rafts. Still weather tight after 45 years. After traveling with a topper on my pickup for a couple of years, standing was high on my priority list.

A couple of downsides:
- There is no noise abatement: you will hear outside noise similar to in a tent.
- Temperature control: the soft side does not offer much insulation against heat or cold.

As to gas milage: mine cost about 1.5 mpg; but that is because of the square, flat back of my camper. If your pop-top is low profile and at least 1 foot back from the windshield you should see no degradation of gas milage. The windshield will push the air over the front edge of the top.

We went from a pop top truck camper (Four wheel Camper brand) to a raised fiberglass top with 6' 4" in interior height.
For us, the only benefit with a soft pop up was a bit better mileage.

I got tired of raising the top (heavy) which had a rack and several solar panels on top. It was heavy to raise on a 8' long bed truck. As others have mentioned, noise and lack of insulation are noticeable. They do make a winter wrap that can be added though.

We love stopping and walking around without any work to increase interior height.

Here in California a pop top for our van ran 3000.00 more then our fiberglass top which was ordered with every option. We did camp once where we were concerned about needing to lower the pop top due to high winds. Probably around 40mph. Haven't camped yet with the raised top in very high winds.

I do like the possible increase in MPG but that didn't outweigh the benefits of a fiberglass top for us.

What kind of van do you have?

a pop top...are they worth the money and effort?..
We had three:
* a Winnebago Minnie-Winnee with a crank-up center section
* a FourWheelCamper
* a Coleman 'pop-out and up' trailer.
With the FWC in Wyoming, we were warned by rangers about night-roaming bears shredding our rubberized curtain (the flex material between the sides and the top).
But we are tenacious, so after we sold the FWC, we got the Winnebago.
The fabric shredded -- without bear assistance -- during a breeze in Arizona.
We tapped directly into the duct-tape warehouse for that temporary fix.
But we are still going to make this work, so we got the 'pop-out and up' trailer.
During SCUBA Weirdo Week in Monterey, California, the Velcro® finally decided to retire, offering views of our intimate moments to curious passers-by.
Hilarity ensued!
2003, for our ExpeditionVehicle, we went hard-side.
Fact is, we had a second FWC.
On Interstate Five just north of Sacramento, we were crossing the raised freeway section above the Delta over-flow.
A brutally-windy day, a gust caught the camper just right, and it blew off the back of the truck.
Off and up; in the rear-view, I watched it soar as high as a telephone pole.
It crashed into the fast-lane... without impacting another vehicle.
At our 50mph travel speed, the FWC factory estimated that gust would probably need to be at least 50mph to blow all the hold-downs simultaneously.

Hugemoth, hey it sounds like you have the same pop-top that I had on my '62 VW bus. How I wish I had it back. I've had class A, C, 5th wheels, & currently a vintage F-250 with homemade camper. I'd trade em all for that old VW.

^^^I had several right up to the time the only replacement parts quality went way down and the price of those parts went way up as well as the speed limits in Utah went up to 80MPH. Last I checked a few years ago Kustom Coachworks in Colorado was getting $100,000 to restore one better than new!

Bryan,

I have the same situation as you do. I am 6' and I own a 2016 Ford Transit Connect, so I am constantly hunched over. I have looked at upgrading to the high top van, but they are over 40,000 new. It would also no longer fit in my garage and renovations to make that possible would be another $15,000. I don't like the idea of canvas tops because I have never seen one that lasts without a lot of maintenance.

I have found a company in CA that would make a fiberglass topper for my van. It would have a window on each side to allow for better air flow. It will not be as high as a high top, but it would allow me to stand up with some bending....but no longer hunched over at 90 degrees. When I checked a couple of years ago, it was priced at $2500. The addition would also fit in my garage.

I can not recommend them as I don't know anything about their reputation. Seach the net and you should find similiar companies.

I think many here are missing the point that in these situations you need to live outside the van and be inside only when sitting or sleeping. A pop top works well if only opened when necessary a few hours a day, like to get dressed or in good weather for ventilation but the same result can pretty much be had if you spend time someplace a tent can be erected at a much lower cost. It really doesn’t need to be much even a shower tent will work in most cases. In urban areas simply use public buildings or restrooms. Opening the door and get out is one solution, getting a larger vehicle or pulling a trailer works also and can be cheaper than buying a vehicle and modifying it. I went from a dune buggy and a tent to a van to pop top van to a class C Datsun truck then to a school bus and later to a short (21’) Class A motorhome all of which were used and cheaper than buying a new high top van as few were available and the ones that were were very top heavy (thick fiberglass is not light) and not fun to drive. I could go on but these all being comparable somewhat in length I considered options. Everything is a compromise and results may vary! Lol!!!

Last edited:
Hi Brian I have a high roof van and a poptop. Both have their pros and cons. The pop top is much more stealth in a city, almost twice the gas mileage, drives better for long distances, it is almost 30 years old and the roof and screens are still in excellent condition, i have owned it for eight years and have never had to do anything to it, it is a bit heavy to lift up with solar panel on it, but the newer ones are much lighter. When it gets cold I simply pull the top down if i want to stay warmer, it is easy to bring down. It is a great vehicle and poptop are a super option. That said I prefer to live in the high top as it is easier to get around more storage, less hassle. I guess it depends what your intentions are. Good luck

@

I have a 2002 Chevy express 2500. Any options if what to get and where?
I highly recommend Fiberine near Long Beach California. If that is to far, I have also heard good things about Tuffport. They show starting at 4895.00. They install in West City Utah or in British Columbia.

For a pop top for your van, there is Sportsmobile in Texas, Indiana and Phoenix. There is also Field Van in Fresno California.

not impossible to create a DIY pop up top if you are handy with tools and can do some canvas work. There are a number of versions for that on YouTube.

Even expanding hard sided roofs. The RV manufacturers have done a terrible job of producing affordable and durable live in options in my opinion. Tnttt.com has several instructional and interesting examples of what can be done by the private sector. The hardest part in my opinion is ensuring structural integrity if you modify anything.

Then again it is not all that difficult to build something stronger than a stick framed travel trailer or motorhome. Those things just about turn into a pile of broken sticks on impact.

.....The RV manufacturers have done a terrible job of producing affordable and durable live in options in my opinion.....
Not much market to justify the investment, IMO. There are a number of very nice, well built European, Australian, and Japanese RVs but nobody is importing them and they wouldn't be inexpensive.

Most Americans want luxury and space: hence the 30'rs with slide-outs, 48"TVs, full kitchens.