Hey everybody

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhereverIMayRoam

Reaction score
Signed up to say hi. I got the weird idea to live on the road full time back in August. Once I started doing research on the web, boy was I surprised to find out how many people were already doing the same thing. So much for being original. But hey, it's been extremely helpful to read all of the tips on this site and others.

I went with a cargo van - Ford E150 to be exact. I took out the junk and put in upholstered wall panels and a carpeted floor. I'm building shelves next. It's a total amateur job, but it's mine. Still debating on the electrical setup. I don't need much, so I might just do a single spare battery with a small inverter.

I'll be full time on the road come Jan 1. I thought it would be interesting to join some of you down at the RTR, so see you there, hopefully. I'll be driving down from NorCal

Dan

Welcome to the group and the lifestyle.
In your planning don't forget a safe source of heat like a propane Buddy. Even down here in Q it can get quite cold at night.
Your van sounds good, hope you included some insulation too.

Good luck

Thanks for the welcome.

I did put a little insulation in the van, but not much. I don't plan to spend too much time in cold places, and I suspect that my carpeted walls might be enough, but we'll see. It's a work in progress. My main insurance policy against freezing at night will be my coldweather-rated mummy-style sleeping bag. And long-johns, heh.

There are going going to be hours upon end that you won't want to be bundled in a sleeping bag, believe me, you'll want heat.
I've lived past proving to myself how tuff I can be against the elements. The overall cost of a bit of comfort is well worth it in my opinion.

If you are going to travel in the States you're going to have to deal with cold at some point...even in the southern desert.

"If you are going to travel in the States you're going to have to deal with cold at some point...even in the southern desert. "

Yes, but there is cold and then there is COLD. I have no intention of being in the parts of the US in the winter where it gets COLD. Quartzsite should be a good test for whether I need to add something more or not.

WhereverIMayRoam said:
"If you are going to travel in the States you're going to have to deal with cold at some point...even in the southern desert. "

Yes, but there is cold and then there is COLD. I have no intention of being in the parts of the US in the winter where it gets COLD. Quartzsite should be a good test for whether I need to add something more or not.

Good deal. I sure don't wanna tell you what you need or how to do things, but I will offer this...
I'm sure you're aware it got down to 17 a couple times last Jan and that was just the lows. We were at 28 the other night eventho its back to low 40s at night for now, but our winter is just beginning. Changes can be quite sudden in this part of the country.

Thus far this year, I know 2 newbie vandwellers who threw in the towel and went back to beg a warm spot from family/friends where they came from. I don't want anyone to walk away with a distaste for this lifestyle for lack of knowledge.
I don't want to discourage anyone either...I simply want folks to be informed and prepared. Now in a motorhome, things haven't really changed much when it comes to providing this simple creature comfort, just costs me more :dodgy:

Just my opinion...YMMV

17 is a bit chilly. Originally I planned to line the walls and ceiling with styrofoam, but the carpeted panels I put together seemed to be holding in the heat pretty well by themselves. But then again, I haven't had the van in anything lower than 35F or so yet. When I get the electrical part set up, I may have to throw in a little heater just to be sure. The van heater also works great if all else fails. I'm sure you vandwelling veterans emphasize this stuff for a good reason.