Here we go!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cjay1947

Reaction score
Well the Sages say “a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step”. Today I took the first step. I bought a 2017 Chevy express van, low roof, 2500 LWB, 4.8L V8. I plan to convert it over the next couple of months. I have a friend who is a experienced handyman to assist. I have learned a lot over the past year from reading this forum and hope that I can continue to draw on the experience and knowledge found here. I will try not to ask questions that have been answered countless times. I very much value the opinions of those who have had problems that they found a solution to. I’m excited by the thought of hitting the road but, tempered by having a plan and timetable and preparing properly. I may live in the van for a month before I leave and continue to work. I work at a small hospital and can stay in the parking lot. Showers are available. I have rolled the dice!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
totally awesome. I am looking for my first van as we speak. I'm just going to jump in with a no build build. So glad you could take that step :)

I am too. I have some time to find out what works for me. I’m older and like my creature comforts. I’ll check on your progress. Have fun.

Congratulations! I'm looking to get a similar van. What made you decide on this one? What sort of mileage do you get in the van? I hope you will share more pictures soon.

Good for you! Building can be enjoyable and sometimes frustrating but always educational. Don't worry about asking questions that have been asked before; their are always a variety of opinions here and therefore a variety of answers. Some times an "expert" will answer a question and then a year latter answer it in a totally different way as the "expert" is always learning too.

Thank you.
I started out looking for a high top van. After awhile the choices seem to come down to a Ford Tansist or Dodge Pro Master. They cost more than I wanted to pay. I have a flexible budget but decided that I would rather have more comfort items. The Chevy Express has a good reputation for reliability and I saw numerous ones for sale with well over 200,000 miles. I owned a 74 Chevy 3/4 Short bed and found it tolerable for traveling with kids or hanging out with friends. We will see how in works out now that I'm in my 70's. I plan on spending a lot of time outdoors. I'm currently in the materials gathering stage. Ive ordered wiring, LED lights, Switches, fuse box, connectors, etc., an Pro Air fan, an Aplicool T-36 dual zone compressor fridge.
I will buy the insulation foam board, plywood, 2 x 4's, hardware locally.  I will buy solar panels from Santan Solar (520 watts) in Gilbert AZ, I'm thinking Universal 100 AH batteries (4 each). Trying to decide which Solar Charge Controller and 2000 watt pure sine wave converter to purchase.
Sometime in the next two months I will consider adding an instant propane portable hot water heater, a boat hatch in the passenger real window and a 5000 BTU A/C on a slide out tray. A micro wave to be added.
The plan is to move into the Van around the 1st of August, continue to work and hit the road after labor day. A 30 day shakedown cruise if you will. I won't have to worry about stealth parking except maybe to practice.
I will post pictures as the work is completed in stages, I would appreciate any suggestions you or others may have, I'm all ears.

Oh I forgot the mileage isn't good. 10.2 mpg city streets. I have a rather heavy foot at times.

jsudlow said:
totally awesome. I am looking for my first van as we speak. I'm just going to jump in with a no build build. So glad you could take that step :)
I was tempted to do the same thing but find out the hard way it doesn't always work for me. Good luck and enjoy.

Well it was so easy to sit down and whip up a timetable for my van build. However reality gets in the way and adjustments are made. I've gathered most of my materials and hope to get
fully started next week. I'm working extra shifts to put a little extra money away. I have only two big ticket items left solar panels and batteries. I'm leaning toward a 400 watt panel from Santan Solar. I was planning on buying 4 100 AH AGM batteries, either Universal or Wieze. I then saw on Aliexpress a Chinese LiFePo4 200AH battery for $$791.00. I'm learing of Chinese made products and the delivery time was first week in August. Considering that the US-China trade disputes seem to be heating up again. It might not be wise to buy from there now. I may try some 75AH deep cycle batteries from Batteries Plus, they're $117 with core return. Suggestions are welcome. I'm still planning on hitting the road after labor day hopefully.

first off, congrats.

no 2x4's. there is zero reason to use 2x4's in a build. use plywood, 1x2, and 2x2.

congrats again

highdesertranger

I built out a 2015 Chevy Express 3 years ago. It's been a great van so far. It only had about 23K mi when I bought it. My suggestion...buy a couple of rolls of Fat Matt Apply to the interior before you start the build. You don't need 100% coverage. 60-70% will yield great results. The sound deadening abilities are amazing. It's a little pricey, but I have never regretted using that as my very first step before building in the glamorous stuff. Also, agree about the 2x2 instead of 2x4 comment above.

Thanks, I have bought some 80mil kilmat for sound deadening. I hope to start next week. Yes using 2"x2" makes sense. I can see were weight can be a concern. Still looking for carpenter/electrician to help with the more detailed work.

I started installing the Kilmat this morning. It is easy to work with but I won't win any prizes for looks. The humidity and heat have driven me indoors. I will finish on Saturday and start installing the insulation. My 2 universal 100ah AGM batteries have been delivered and Santan Solar has shipped my 400 watt panel. my work schedule is out through the middle of August so If I'm going to make my September 4 departure date  I need to get busy and pick up the pace.
Does anyone have suggestions on a portable propane water heater that operates above 2000 ft? Its one of my comfort items.

Attachments

• Kilmat installation.jpg
    Kilmat installation.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Drivers Side.jpg
    Drivers Side.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 9
It has been a busy few weeks. Ive been working more than usual but finally have a few days off and I found a experienced and dependable handyman.The insulation is completed. I bought 1" foam board with an R-5 rating. On second thought I now understand why 1/2" or 3/4" board is easier to work with. Nevertheless Its done. I used vinyl planking for floor. Looks nice if I do say so myself. The wiring has begun and hopefully will be finished by tomorrow. When the wiring is complete I will do the paneling and then the work of installing the max air fan will begin.This is an area I don't feel confident of doing myself. Next will be installing a 1000 watt portable A/C. I will mount a 400 watt Jenko solar panel I bought from Santan Solar and assemble the solar charge controller and a 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter. I have two 100ah AGM universal batteries and I hope they ares adquate . I'm still planning on heading west after Labor Day. There is a lot left to do and I'm beginning to feel a sense of urgency about getting out of the H-town insanity over the "pandemic" It is very comforting to know that so many of you have been at this point and worked through it. Keep it up.

Hello Folks
It has been a busy few weeks as I've been working more than usual. I've had a few days off and with some content help I've completed the insulation and flooring. We have started on the wiring and hopefully will be finished with that task. Next is the max air fans and a 1000 watt portable A/C. A lot left to do but still planning on heading west after Labor Day. Im begining to feel a sense of urgency concerning leaving the big city madness. This site has inspired me and it's nice to know others have successfully completed the process. Thanks.