Help me find the right cargo trailer. Divorce finalized need ASAP!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
What I think I want is a cargo trailer 6 X 12.  From reading older post it looks like it should have Dexter axle or dual axle.  It should also be made mostly of aluminum.

I would like it to have RV door on side, roof racks installed I can add solar panels on and  a window on side away from door.  I have not decided what kind of rear door style.  Probably barn doors rear.

I live in Saint Augustine Florida.  I don't mind driving several hundred miles to pick up the trailer.

When searching on line I really don't know what is good and what is junk.

Would some of you that know cargo trailers help point me to dealers in Florida or maybe Georgia?

I need to find this as quick as possible.  In my divorce I was granted sole use of the property while repairs are made (new roof is the big one) and the house is sold.  I just want to load up my stuff like tools and head out.  I am not going to stick around and deal with contractors and house showings.  I am done with houses, let the Ex-wife deal those details.

Please help me find a cargo trailer.
A Seeker

You might try

FB Trailers 
(904) 371-9791
1076 Blanding Blvd
Orange Park FL, 32065
http://www.fbtrailers.com/

or

Watnow! Trailers, Inc.
ph: 904-384-7259
6248 Blanding Boulevard
Jacksonville, FL 32244
http://www.watnowtrailers.com/enclosed_cargo_trailers

Just found them on-line, know nothing about them.  There are some other dealers around but did not see enclosed trailers in inventory.

Thanks for the info given so far.  I am waiting on some call backs with more details offered.

I am a little overwhelmed with picking the right axle, frame and other choices also.  Any advice in those kind of items?

I spent a bunch of time on the trailer showroom site speccing one out, but ended up going a different dirrection. I liked all the things they were willing to do and that the price was relatively reasonable considering you could pick one up all done an ready to move into.

Guess the ones I talked to have plenty of business as no one called back to answer questions that said they would.

I am not keeping that much stuff but it will not fit in the van and I hate paying for storage.

Might have to pay storage for a couple months.

I think you will have the best luck going strait to the manufacturer. I don't know who's back east I think Wells Cargo has manufacturing all over the country. some hints Dexter axle is a good choice. if you plan to drive off road do not go with torsion axles and over rate your axles. in other words if you plan on a 7k rating on the trailer don't go with two 3,500lb axles better to go with two 5-6k axles. don't let them use OSB. brakes on both axles are better. if you ever want to sleep in it a RV door is a must. highdesertranger

Personally, I won't have anything behind me except a Wells Cargo.

I'm on my second one - the first was destroyed in a serious accident on I95. It rolled on it's side and the roof and body got kinda twisted but they towed it away after having to use a pair of slings to right it.

If you can't afford new then look for a used one.

Back when I got my first trailer one of their advertisements went something along the lines of 'we want to make it so you don't know you've got anything behind you.

With an 8' high 15 x 7 box behind a regular height cargo trailer, I DID know I was towing something...but it handled like a dream...well except in a cross wind buy nothing larger than a car does well in a crosswind. :rolleyes:

The second trailer, a standard 6x10 box has been towed with a standard cargo van, a 35' Class A and an Astro mini van and quite truthfully, I did have to remember to remember that it was back there.

Dexter axle and independent torsion suspension as well as having a trailer where the tongue is the correct length and the trailer properly designed makes all the difference in towing. There is a reason they hold their value and are more expensive brand new.

seeker said:
What I think I want is a cargo trailer 6 X 12.  From reading older post it looks like it should have Dexter axle or dual axle.  It should also be made mostly of aluminum.

I would like it to have RV door on side, roof racks installed I can add solar panels on and  a window on side away from door.  I have not decided what kind of rear door style.  Probably barn doors rear.

I live in Saint Augustine Florida.  I don't mind driving several hundred miles to pick up the trailer.

When searching on line I really don't know what is good and what is junk.

Would some of you that know cargo trailers help point me to dealers in Florida or maybe Georgia?

I need to find this as quick as possible.  In my divorce I was granted sole use of the property while repairs are made (new roof is the big one) and the house is sold.  I just want to load up my stuff like tools and head out.  I am not going to stick around and deal with contractors and house showings.  I am done with houses, let the Ex-wife deal those details.

Please help me find a cargo trailer.
A Seeker

Was just doing some trailer searching in florida a couple months ago. Was looking for a similar sized one so that my mom could build it out as a camper.
Found this company and really like their trailer specs, not the lightest, but better construction.
http://arisingindustries.com/single_axle.htm
This was for camping in, and not just storage, so it might not be what your after.

I got mine from trailersplus.com and I've been very happy with it. They offer all the options you could possibly want including ladder racks. I have a set on my trailer now.
Bob

I was going to order a new one, but was able to find a barely used I could live with for less than half the price. That enabled me to get my trailer to where I could use it for the cash I had on hand, and I didn't have to wait to start. There is definitely a range of quality out there, and even some "good" brands sometimes go through quality control issues. There is no substitute for putting your hands and eyes on the product.

TTNT.com is a great resource for ideas. Scroll down to cargo trailer conversions. Most lean toward being more elaborate, but there are a few simpler ones in there also. Bob's build is in the "other conversions" section at the top of the page. My own is here https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Masterplumber-s-cargo-trailer-conversion. I think Bob also did a blog or 2 highlighting some builds. Low Tech built one here http://www.pbase.com/lowtech9/rigs.

The only thing I wouldn't have the factory do even if you can afford it, is the insulation. I've never seen any factory use anything other than bubble wrap or reflectex over the studs. Only a little better than nothing at all.

masterplumber said:
I was going to order a new one, but was able to find a barely used I could live with for less than half the price. That enabled me to get my trailer to where I could use it for the cash I had on hand, and I didn't have to wait to start. There is definitely a range of quality out there, and even some "good" brands sometimes go through quality control issues. There is no substitute for putting your hands and eyes on the product.

TTNT.com is a great resource for ideas. Scroll down to cargo trailer conversions. Most lean toward being more elaborate, but there are a few simpler ones in there also. Bob's build is in the "other conversions" section at the top of the page. My own is here https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Masterplumber-s-cargo-trailer-conversion. I think Bob also did a blog or 2 highlighting some builds. Low Tech built one here http://www.pbase.com/lowtech9/rigs.

The only thing I wouldn't have the factory do even if you can afford it, is the insulation. I've never seen any factory use anything other than bubble wrap or reflectex over the studs. Only a little better than nothing at all.
I looked on TTNT.com for a minute and will try to spend more time there.  My problem is lack of time.  I was going to stay in the home until sold so I would have plenty time to search and have a trailer built  with widows, RV door etc.

I will insulate with polysio my self.  It works great in my van and should be a lot easier in a cargo trailer.

I only thought of the fact yesterday that I could just choose to abandon the house fix up/sale to the ex-wife load my stuff and go.  That is why I need to find the trailer ASAP.

Since you are in a hurry, get some used furniture from a thrift store, throw down a sleeping pad and move into it. Then you can develop a plan and do everything a little bit at a time the way you want it done. Usually with a divorce money is pretty tight so that might work out well for you.

Cheap used desks and dressers both work really well in a cargo van.
Bob

akrvbob said:
Since you are in a hurry, get some used furniture from a thrift store, throw down a sleeping pad and move into it. Then you can develop a plan and do everything a little bit at a time the way you want it done. Usually with a divorce money is pretty tight so that might work out well for you.

Cheap used desks and dressers both work really well in a cargo van.
Bob

Bob,  thanks for the advice but I planned ahead.  The van is very comfortable already.  285 Solarworld  panel that finds some amps almost completely shaded or like yesterday totally fogged in, Midnite Kid controller, ARB 50 quart fridge.  Also a full size Spa Sensations gel memory foam mattress that is too big I will swap out for my twin size latex mattress.  Insulated with polysio that works amazingly well.

I need the cargo trailer for my tools and what want fit in my van.  I would like to use the cargo trailer like you use yours in the future.

If I can't get one built to my liking soon enough I may just buy something used and do something different later.  Having paid for storage before I would rather get rid of an item than pay storage as that is a financially loosing battle.

I don't mind downsizing and find it liberating.  I will be living in a standard length Chevy Express  van with a German Shepherd and need a little more room for storage.  I just can't downsize that far yet.

Latest posts