Help Me Decide: Dodge 318 V8 'finished' van VS Ford E350 barebones cargo van high top

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Awesome Inch

Reaction score
1997 Dodge Ram 318 V8 'finished' camper van VS 1999 Ford E350 barebones cargo van high top

Pros for the Dodge
80% finished... would want to add insulation, cover all windows in the living area and replace the carpet with lino.
Has toilet, stove, sink, fridge, furnace
Has rear seat (with seatbelt for my daughter)
Likely cheaper on gas(?)
Has regular 'non-sliding' door on the side. Love that.

Cons for the Dodge
Not as stealthy as a Ford cargo/hightop(?)
Furnace might be useless to me if it sucks batteries dry
Dont really need the toilet (dont want to pay dump fees)
Dont think I really need the fridge (I get by fine with a good cooler and 'blue' ice packs which I freeze up at work etc)
My gut bias is that Fords seem more reliable
The dodge has 30000 more km (155000 km)
Here's the big one... the dodge is $6000 more
I have read the transmissions on these Dodges are 'dodgey' hehe.

Ford Pros
WAY cheaper
30,000km less than dodge
Engine has 125,000 km
Less windows (I prefer no windows... more privacy, insulation easier)
As I would be building from the ground up again I have a few ideas that would make this van 'better' ie insulate the floors, room for a small recliner etc.

Ford Cons
My current van took almost 400 hours to build. **Really** not thrilled to start all over
It has a sliding door which I dont like (hard to insulate etc)
Has a cng tank which would either have to be removed or would cause mpg to decrease even further because the tank likely weighs alot depending on its size
10 mpg is likely... not good!
No 3rd chair for my daughter means I cannot take my kids out

You forgot to mention that the Ford comes with a neat, flashing orange light already mounted on the cab!

I like the ford better. If the price difference included a decent solar set-up on the Dodge, that might tip the scales...but otherwise it sounds like stuff you don't need very much.

Is the Ford CNG fueled?  That would be a deal-breaker for me.
I feel the 'stealth' thing is far too overblown, and even then there's precious little difference in these two vans in that regard.  Non-issue.
You can install a third seat with seatbelts into the Ford.
Biggest difference is price.

Why replace your current van?  Problems?

No problems with current van. I have the money and want to be comfortable with stand up height etc. The ford is duel gas AND cng.

Adding a seat may or may not be an issue. In your neighborhood the VIN may or may not allow it. (Not OEM) Dunno ...
You have a bunch of experience on a conversion so that isn't a big deal with whatever you choose.
I wouldn't want to venture a guess on either vehicle mechanicals but the Ford's mileage is good.
Yep, overall, I agree with wagoneer, find a third choice.

Since as you say, you have the money and there's nothing wrong with your current van...  I vote for keeping what you have and look for something else/better.
"Plenty of fish in the sea", as they say. :)

Curious....

What exactly is it that you dont like about the Ford? (aside from the duel CNG /Gas)

The seller says it has been well maintained and has all records to prove it... supposedly.

Given the orange light on top I am assuming it was some sort of fleet vehicle.

It has 78,000 orig miles and $5500cdn (which I think is a fair price?)

I'm just not sure I'd find something easily with that low of miles with a high top etc

I guess for me its biggest drawback is tackling the amount of hours it would need to convert it, but then I'd have that with any barebones cargo van. One guy on my youtube channel made a good point.... the Class Bs are way more expensive because of the stuff they have in it. I could add all the stuff **I** need... if I get up the gumption to go thru all of that again.

So is there anything about this hightop cargo van you dont like? What would be better?

Things could go quite nasty if your CNG and gasoline are dueling.......    :(

Could be, since you like your current van but need a higher top, it would be a lot cheaper and quicker to buy a topper and have it installed.

True. But the Ford above is also extended... another two feet would be so nice.

Plus my current van is pushing 217000km.... almost 90,0000 less than the Ford Hightop in question.

I should say that whatever I get will likely be my last van/home for at least the next 10 years.

be patient,wait for the perfect rig then attack

b.t.w. dont think your ex might know someone who knows someone that saw your vid? keep the personal personal