Help me choose a next vehicle to build from scratch. Thinking diesel, 4wd...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
As I've been in my van for several years now, there are things I think of that could be improved and ideas that I mull over in my head. I have always had a tentative vision for a next home, that I would build from scratch, and make it the way I want it. I'm thinking I'm nearing the time to do that, and I'm asking for some help in choosing a base vehicle.

I'll remove the body from whatever vehicle I choose, weld up a steel frame that will be attached to the vehicle frame, and build a conventional house to my specifications.

My thought is to start with an older mechanical diesel truck. Diesel, because the thing will be heavy, and also because this would convenience me to use some diesel appliances such as wall heater and stove top. Something that, worst-case scenario, five years or ten years down the line, I could drop a new Cummins engine into, rather than spend thousands on diagnosing problems with a newer electronic diesel.

I have been looking at pick up trucks and flat beds, and I'm willing to travel to pick up the right vehicle. What make and year range would you be looking at if you were making this choice? What are the "good" years on vehicles/engines like this?

Are any step vans available in diesel and 4wd?

How much trouble am I going to have starting a mechanical diesel in cold weather, if I choose to?

Also, here's an intriguing option from my home state, but I'm not sure I want to go this big:
https://vermont.craigslist.org/cto/d/1970-military-m35a2-bobbed/6429655321.html

Gary68 said:

Neat. That's not gonna be 4wd though right?

I think no matter what I get, I'm going to scrap the body and build my own. One of the mild irks I've had with my van is that, due to the curved walls, the volume inside is not as great as the footprint its surface area should allow - and, this inhibits placement of furniture and leaning against walls that curve inward.

I would go with a step van for its square walls and the body that already exists, but again, I don't know that I can find one in 4wd.

I realize I'm being finicky, but, I have no reason to go through the trouble and expense of building a new house if it isn't exactly what I want.

check out chevy kodiak,they come in 4x4 and i believe diesel

nothing wrong with being finicky.  if choose wisely,  you only choose once.  you mentioned the Cummins,  great engine but it's on a Dodge.  a buddy of mine is a supervisor for Caltrans(CA road dept.)  he said the trucks would fall apart around the engine.  the engine would still be strong but the truck was done.   if you want a diesel the older mechanical injected are the way to go IMO.  very simple engine.  decent fuel economy.  what about one of these,

id_m1010_cucv_ambulance_700.jpg

great running gear,  in fact IMO the best.  6.2/6.5 diesel engine been in production since 1982.  same engine that's in the military Humvee.  by far the least expensive,  and easiest to work on diesel.

if not then a Ford mechanical injected 7.3.  although not as simple or cheap as a GM it's a solid engine.  whatever you decide do a lot of research.  get a 1 ton truck not a conversion. 

Gary it's to bad there is not more info on that add.  the only diesel GM had in 1980 was the POS 5.7 very light duty and they only came in cars and 1/2 ton trucks.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• id_m1010_cucv_ambulance_700.jpg
    id_m1010_cucv_ambulance_700.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 11
highdesertranger said:
what about one of these,

[Picture]

great running gear,  in fact IMO the best.  6.2/6.5 diesel engine been in production since 1982.  same engine that's in the military Humvee.  by far the least expensive,  and easiest to work on diesel.

I think that's about what I'm looking for. Something that size, and easy to work on down the road. I just don't know what the "good" years are. What model/year is that?

The only problem with older diesel engines is the new ULSD fuels. And that can be dealt with.

As far as starting a cold diesel even without glow plugs, I've started them in minus 20 with nothing but a few shots of ether into the intake. 

Ah the good old days...nothing sounds or smells like an old diesel coming to life in sub-zero temps...

:cool:

highdesertranger said:
'84-'87 here is some background.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_Utility_Cargo_Vehicle

highdesertranger

I've been searching these trucks since you suggested them. I'm planning to search one out and check it out in person. Some of these are listed for $15k and more, but I'm not looking for someone's princess since I'm probably going to scrap the body anyway. Mind looking at these links and telling me if you have any first impressions? The ambulance versions are interesting since they already have a pass-through cut.... not certain if the dimensions of the box would work for me or not.

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/d/chevy-military-4x4-with-boss/6394031773.html

https://york.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-chevy-1031-contact/6438108861.html

https://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-chevy-m1031-contact/6411661278.html

https://fargo.craigslist.org/cto/d/cucv-4x4-diesel-military/6443215766.html

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/military-cucv-4x4-for-sale/6425458801.html

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/cto/d/military-pick-up-m1010-4x4-gm/6403391533.html

https://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-m1028-cucv-k30/6442376467.html

going to make me work on this one.

1. rust bucket, the body is toast. needs a new body cab and all.
2. I like this one. reasonable price. note, the ones with PTO drives have the NP 205 transfer case which is the best most heavy duty TC put in light trucks.
3. again I like, little high on the price. you could scrap the genny's and sell the beds on both of these, #2&3.
4. well it sure would stand out. not bad overall as far as I can tell.
5. this one could go either way. wonder what's up with the axle.
6. lifted way to high. the front driveshaft is not in because of the driveshaft angle. I don't like trucks that other people lift because most don't know what they are doing.
7. this guy ruined this truck. the bad, lifted ad says 4" looks more to me. it has a suspension lift and a body lift. I hate body lifts more than 1 inch. then they bobbed the frame right at the rear spring rear hanger. they moved the location of the rear shocks. changer the location of the fuel tank. the good, some one swapped in a SM 465 and a NP 205 great combo very heavy duty.

a little more info. all these trucks have a hybrid 24/12 volt electrical system. the smart thing to do is to convert them to 12 volt, not a hard conversion they have 2 alternators a 24 and a 12 and a 24 volt starter. everything else is standard 12v. all these trucks have low mileage.

the weak point on these engines is the harmonic balancer. plan on doing that right off the bat. the best thing you can do is to put a Fluid Dampener on it but they are pricy about 450 bucks but they last forever and never fail.

highdesertranger

so what the diff between the military and a plain square body? just dont see the 6.2 in civilian models?

and if tmg is going this route what about any 4x4 diesel pickup and just toss the bed and build a house?

me myself and i prefer commercial vehicles over passenger because of stronger drivetrain and over all beefer build quality

4bt would be the engine i would look for and remember,without a turbo diesels are pretty gutless,non turbo 6.2 is like 140 hp and around 200 torques,less then my 305 gasser

and the big one,have you spent time around a diesel?while in liquid form it doesnt bother me but the exhaust nauseates me,i can smell my neighbors a couple hundred feet away when he starts it up

you could get the 6.2 from 1982 until 1993 in all the C/K trucks, vans, it also came in step vans and motor homes, 91-92 H1 Hummer, and of course the military hmmwv Humvee.

after 93 it was replaced with the 6.5 virtually the same engine until 2000-2001. it is still in production for the Humvee.

that means it's been in production for 36 years and still going. you can buy brand new engines from several distributors for between 5-8k, AM General is the current manufacturer. plus there is a large military surplus of used engines, making it by far the most affordable diesel engine out there. all parts are still available.

oh yeah, there is also a lot of marine 6.2's and 6.5's.

highdesertranger

Main differences between a CUCV pickup and regular 6.2l k30 is the 12v/24v dual voltage electrical system and 4.56 axle gears on a diesel, which IIRC was only on gas k30s.

Look for the M1010 ambulance if you want a prebuilt 10' box with a pass-through to the cab.

I think the 4.56 were special order only on the civy version. all the K 30's that I have come across were 3.73 or 4.10. as a side note all the CUCV's had Detroit Lockers rear and Limited slip front axles. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
if not then a Ford mechanical injected 7.3.  although not as simple or cheap as a GM it's a solid engine.

How do I know which years for the 7.3 were mechanical injected? This isn't my area of expertise. In my searching most discussion around 7.3 mechanical injection seems to be about converting newer engines to being mechanically injected. I assume the older models were mechanical at one time?

There are, of course, many more options for older Fords than there are CUCVs for sale.

7.3 IDI engines were available from 1988-1994. half way in 1994 came the 444E which is a 7.3 but a completely different injection system. I have a 444E and while still a good engine, but it's very complicated, harder to work on and parts like injectors are expensive. ask me how I know. highdesertranger

I've found an 1987 suburban 3/4 ton 4x4 with the option of Dana 60 4.10 in the front and a full floater 14 bolt 4.10 rear ( I understand spring perches will need to moved). Currently has a crate 350 with TBI and had the 400 trans replaced with a 480E trans with an after market control box so lockup/overdrive which allows manual control, and have been offered manual shifting valve body mod as well. A 205 transfer case can be offered as well but requires an adaptor. Drive lines will be rebuilt as well as new interior with a pretty well rust free body(Desert tan) and frame. 16" eight lug wheels have older worn tires and barn doors were crudely welded in place of tailgate it orginally came with but function as well as all windows locks and doors. Around $4,000 but probably more like $5,000 the way my luck goes. It currently has stock 3/4 ton axles with a 4" lift which will be removed. I'm gonna use it to pull a 24' trailer whose total weight should be less than 6,000 lbs. What you all think? Sorry if this should be a new thread feel free to move.