help figuring out solar

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaclyn

Reaction score
Hello people. So, I am looking into converting my 2003 ford econoline xlt into a comfortable living space. There certainly is enough room for it. The only problem that I forsee is that I use a lot of electricity. I have a high-end computer that I'm on most of the time and I like streaming video. I put together a list of items on amazon that I think would work pretty well for me here. The only problem that I have with this is that I have a budget of about $2000. I found some really good solar panels here at a pretty good price. Only problem is that I figure I would need at least three or four of those panels to meet my needs and with all the items all added up I wind up with a total over $1700. Any advice?

You have figured out your dollar budget, what is your energy budget? Hard to tell what a lot of energy use is. My gut tells me that the 3000 watt inverter is going to take more than one battery. I have 350 AH of battery and 400 watts of solar, 200 fixed and 200 portable. Most of the time I can get by with only the fixed until there are rainy days. I don't run anything off an inverter but have two, a 350 watt and a 750 watt if the need ever arises. I run an i7 micro pc off 12v boosted to 19.2 (only one conversion and not 2 that an inverter and step down transformer makes). https://computers.woot.com/offers/h..._sGTtqMpSDqNZSxJb5xsh-9o4LH0hNTsaAhP7EALw_wcB I run it off a car charger that works with my laptop too.

Your van, is it a 1500, 2500 or 3500. I bring this up because a 1500 isn't going to be able to safely hold much weight and build outs plus personal stuff tend to overload them. Check your driver's door jamb to see what your vehicle is rated for.

Oh, forgot, welcome. Head over to the newcomers corner and introduce yourself to get a proper welcome.

Jaclyn said:
The only problem that I forsee is that I use a lot of electricity. I have a high-end computer that I'm on most of the time and I like streaming video.

Since it seems that you are still living in stix-brix you should buy something like a P3 Kill-a-Watt meter ($25) and plug in your PC to see how much power it actually uses.  Add in other items that you may use: fridge,lights,TV,etc. to get a rough total.

I'm curious as to how big the power supply is on your PC?  A 3000 watt inverter seems overkill to me but maybe not.

Streaming video can be done on a cheap chrome laptop and use a whole lot less power. Surf the web and email to boot. Charge it in the afternoon when you hopefully have excess solar. A lot of them will go 10+ hours streaming.

B and C said:
You have figured out your dollar budget, what is your energy budget? Hard to tell what a lot of energy use is. My gut tells me that the 3000 watt inverter is going to take more than one battery. I have 350 AH of battery and 400 watts of solar, 200 fixed and 200 portable. Most of the time I can get by with only the fixed until there are rainy days. I don't run anything off an inverter but have two, a 350 watt and a 750 watt if the need ever arises. I run an i7 micro pc off 12v boosted to 19.2 (only one conversion and not 2 that an inverter and step down transformer makes). https://computers.woot.com/offers/h..._sGTtqMpSDqNZSxJb5xsh-9o4LH0hNTsaAhP7EALw_wcB I run it off a car charger that works with my laptop too.

Your van, is it a 1500, 2500 or 3500. I bring this up because a 1500 isn't going to be able to safely hold much weight and build outs plus personal stuff tend to overload them. Check your driver's door jamb to see what your vehicle is rated for.

Oh, forgot, welcome. Head over to the newcomers corner and introduce yourself to get a proper welcome.

I have a 3500, so I shouldn't have many problems with weight stuff. My pc has an 800w power supply which is pretty needed for running multiple instances of visual studio and virtual machines to do my job.

My advise would be to increase your $$$ budget, decrease your electrical usage, and (or?) purchase a generator.  And search for "Energy Audit and System Sizing Spreadsheet". 

I have a 16 foot cargo trailer, and can get four 325W panels (1300W) on the roof with just enough room for a vent fan (without shadowing).  And I'm putting together a 7.3KWh battery bank (eight 3.3V 280AH cells in series).  I would not have enough power to run your computer all day.  I'm hoping I will be able to run a 450W AC unit during the long, hot summer days and at least part of the nights.  But even with my system I will likely need to supplement with generator power if I choose to stay in a hot climate. 

There are laptops that can run multiple VMs at around 175W, but they aren't inexpensive.  But even then, if you were to run one of those 8 hours per day, that's 1400W right there.  And a solar system is not 100% efficient.  A 300W panel may only put out 260W, for example.  And then there are inverter inefficiencies, and short winter days.

I can't increase my budget. For the time being, I think I'll have to just find some way to decrease my power use.

Jaclyn said:
 My pc has an 800w power supply which is pretty needed for running multiple instances of visual studio and virtual machines to do my job.
Assuming that you run this PC 10 hrs a day at full throttle, you'll consume 8000 Wh a day.  If you have other electrical items, your total energy use could easily exceed 10 kWh a day.

To generate this solely from solar during the winter months, you'll need 3000 Watts of panels.  During the summer months, you may be able to get by with 1500 Watts if panels.  You don;t have the rooftop space for 1500 Watt (5x300 Watts) of panels.

Find a more efficient computer first.

With that kind of power usage, I would plan on one of those 1000 watt inverter generators to use during the time you are using the pc.  These can be had for about $200 and sip gas in the order of a gallon a day.  I bought a sportsman 1000 that puts out 800 continuous watts and 1000 surge.  Altitude will affect the output however. 

Sportsman 1000 CARB approved

A small solar system to augment this for nights would be a good start.  Use something else to stream, that thing is a power hog.

future_vandweller said:
Assuming that you run this PC 10 hrs a day at full throttle, you'll consume 8000 Wh a day.  If you have other electrical items, your total energy use could easily exceed 10 kWh a day.

To generate this solely from solar during the winter months, you'll need 3000 Watts of panels.  During the summer months, you may be able to get by with 1500 Watts if panels.  You don;t have the rooftop space for 1500 Watt (5x300 Watts) of panels.

Find a more efficient computer first.

Definitely a good idea. I wasn't interested in gas or diesel generators at all because I though they far less fuel efficient. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to look at a large generator and small solar setup.

Jaclyn said:
Definitely a good idea. I wasn't interested in gas or diesel generators at all because I though they far less fuel efficient. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to look at a large generator and small solar setup.
The generator linked by B&C will run for 6.3 hrs at half power of 400 VA, which is a little less than 400 Watts.  It's rated at 1000 W (should be VA) peak & 800 W continuous.

To generate a steady 800 W (900 VA) with a gas generator will require one rated at 1500 Watts, which will consume about 1.5 gallons a day.

I suggest also considering the Champion 2000 watt inverter/generator. I have one and it runs about 9-10 hours or so on a gallon. Fairly quiet in ECO mode.
As I understand it, the prior version can charge batteries with included cables and also provide 120v output at the same time--- but I have not confirmed
this on the newer model. It is a little more money ($450+/-) but it has about twice the output as the 1000 watt units. I can run my 6000 btu
Window AC and lights and fridge in my cargo trailer when I don't have an AC plug in available, but burns more fuel as more things are draining.

js

you need to stop guessing and run some numbers.

1. get a realistic daily usage number
2.size your battery bank to number 1
3. size your solar to number 2

now you might have to do this over and over to find a 1,2,3 that adds up. we can help so lets start with number 1.

highdesertranger

she has already done 1 - " I have a high-end computer that I'm on most of the time and I like streaming video"  & "[size=small]My pc has an 800w power supply "
easy to derive 3 from what she has provided.
[/size]

What do you guys think about these batteries? I was thinking I could go with two of those guys and have 430ah. That should net me in the ballpark of 5 kWh capacitance. Only thing I don't like is that those batteries are 120lbs each.

Also, if I was going to do a mostly genny setup for charging my battery bank, how well do you guys think
this would work?

The way better deal in my opinion is two 6-volt golf cart battery's from Sam's for $89 each.

Tie them together to make 12-volts and you'll have a very reliable battery source for many years to come, if you treat them nice.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-golf-car-battery-group-size-gc2/prod3590228?xid=plp_product_1_1

Generator.... that generator is a contractor generator and WAY to noisy. You need a Champion, Yamaha, or Honda inverter generator. eBay usually has them refurbished at half price. I have one and it will idle down and charge a battery at almost a whisper. Champion is selling more generators than the big boys now, they are a quality machine that I have three of and highly recommend. Some brands out there.... I won't recommend. A Honda inverter is a fine generator.... you will pay way more but they last and last. I recommend the 2000 watt unit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100306R-16...596830&hash=item3b3d05e58c:g:qoUAAOSweCpcUhZP

listing one item(computer) is not going to give anybody a realistic daily usage number. what about lights, fan, refrigeration, radio/music, etc.

Jaclyn make a list of everything you use that uses power and post it up here.

highdesertranger

I have a question.... 800 watts for a computer power supply? Did you mean 80-watts instead? I'd put a watt meter on it and see exactly what it is using.