Hello

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzmarti66

Reaction score
Hi,  I am a 66 year old Grandma and I have watched many of the YouTube videos on CheapRvLiving.  Now, I have decided I would love to get out West (from Ohio) and be adventurous and see new views.  Not sure if I am too old to do this; would have to camp from my SUV and my kids think I am crazy, but I think I am very determined to do something new.  I hope to learn many things on here while I am selling off my possessions to come out to view the world.  I have kept myself isolated (because of PTSD) for years now, and I've decided to face my fears and get out of here!!  THANK YOU for letting me join your group !!

Welcome to the forum.. it's great to have you here. Lots to see out west.

Welcome to the CRVL forums mzmarti66! You are not too old! Start out slow. Check out the "Car" section for ideas on setting up living quarters in your SUV. Buy the minimal amount of camping equipment. You will be adding and subtracting different items as you become more experienced and find exactly what you need for enjoyment and comfort. Go camping in a state park for a night and work up to a week. I recommend buying a small tent. It can be used as a storage area when you're staying in one spot for a while. It could also be useful as some campgrounds do not permit sleeping in vehicles. You don't have to actually sleep in it because I doubt anyone will be checking up on you.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome.  You've come to the right place to learn what you need to prepare for your new adventure.

Welcome. I know how you feel. I turn 62 next month and plan to retire and go on the road later this year. Everyone thinks I am crazy. But I am determined. Have you watched "Without Bound"? It is the documentary where I first saw Bob Wells. He has given me hope for a better life. Best of luck to you and hope to see you on the road!

-- Trish

Welcome to the Great Adventure Marti...

I'm guessing many of us have friends and family who think were crazy for transitioning to a nomadic life style.. Only you will know if its the right fit and lifestyle. Good luck and safe travels...

Don't our kids think & say the darndest things? Why yes they do. My kids are now envious of my van go lifestyle & photos & stories I write in letters to them. They finally see it as wonderful & are thinking of something like this in their future. You'll also be an inspiration for them to change some of their ideas on what life is all about when it comes to being a home slave against Nature. 

I still do some odd yard work wherever I park. I'm a part time trash picker upper now wherever I go. I was traveling 55 mph on long desolate highway in Nevada behind a young couple with 3 kids in back seat. Driver opened his window and threw out a large white paper bag of fast food trash. Guess whose windshield needed cleaning? I had to pull over and clean up their mess & gooey ketchup splatter. I'd have liked to spank them both. What were they thinking?

trish420 said:
Welcome.  I know how you feel.  I turn 62 next month and plan to retire and go on the road later this year.  Everyone thinks I am crazy.  But I am determined.  Have you watched "Without Bound"?  It is the documentary where I first saw Bob Wells.  He has given me hope for a better life.  Best of luck to you and hope to see you on the road!

-- Trish

Hello,   Yes, I did watch that video and ALL of the 'CheapRVLiving' videos.  Would love to leave today, but I have so much preparing to do.  Thank You and HAPPY TRAVELS to you too !!

Deal Breaker said:
Welcome to the Great Adventure Marti...

I'm guessing many of us have friends and family who think were crazy for transitioning to a nomadic life style.. Only you will know if its the right fit and lifestyle. Good luck and safe travels...

Hello,   My 'friends and family' have always thought I am crazy anyway, so I may as well confirm it for them.  If I can't be somebody else, I may as well be myself !! :rolleyes:

rvwandering said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums mzmarti66!  You are not too old!  Start out slow. Check out the "Car" section for ideas on setting up living quarters in your SUV. Buy the minimal amount of camping equipment. You will be adding and subtracting different items as you become more experienced and find exactly what you need for enjoyment and comfort. Go camping in a state park for a night and work up to a week. I recommend buying a small tent. It can be used as a storage area when you're staying in one spot for a while. It could also be useful as some campgrounds do not permit sleeping in vehicles. You don't have to actually sleep in it because I doubt anyone will be checking up on you.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hello,   THANK YOU so much for the GREAT advice, I truly appreciate any and all of the advice I can receive !!!!!!

And Goodwill said:
Don't our kids think & say the darndest things? Why yes they do. My kids are now envious of my van go lifestyle & photos & stories I write in letters to them. They finally see it as wonderful & are thinking of something like this in their future. You'll also be an inspiration for them to change some of their ideas on what life is all about when it comes to being a home slave against Nature. 

I still do some odd yard work wherever I park. I'm a part time trash picker upper now wherever I go. I was traveling 55 mph on long desolate highway in Nevada behind a young couple with 3 kids in back seat. Driver opened his window and threw out a large white paper bag of fast food trash. Guess whose windshield needed cleaning? I had to pull over and clean up their mess & gooey ketchup splatter. I'd have liked to spank them both. What were they thinking?

Hello,  THANK YOU for your response to me !!  I live in a big city, and I am VERY tired of the disrespect toward humans and the Earth the Good Lord has Blessed us with !!!

mzmarti66 said:
Hi,  I am a 66 year old Grandma and I have watched many of the YouTube videos on CheapRvLiving.  Now, I have decided I would love to get out West (from Ohio) and be adventurous and see new views.  Not sure if I am too old to do this; would have to camp from my SUV and my kids think I am crazy, but I think I am very determined to do something new.  I hope to learn many things on here while I am selling off my possessions to come out to view the world.  I have kept myself isolated (because of PTSD) for years now, and I've decided to face my fears and get out of here!!  THANK YOU for letting me join your group !!

Hey, mzmarti66 ... welcome to the forum!
I'm 63 and have just set out on my adventure with my 21 year old daughter in a converted [being converted as we text] cargo trailer.  I just sold my house, all of my useless belongings and dived in with gusto.
I'm not going to tell you that you should do the same, but my experience so far has been 100% positive and I've not looked back.
See you on the road .... maybe? :)

NoMadYesHappy said:
Hey, mzmarti66 ... welcome to the forum!
I'm 63 and have just set out on my adventure with my 21 year old daughter in a converted [being converted as we text] cargo trailer.  I just sold my house, all of my useless belongings and dived in with gusto.
I'm not going to tell you that you should do the same, but my experience so far has been 100% positive and I've not looked back.
See you on the road .... maybe? :)

Hello,   Thank You so much for responding and for the encouragement !!!  Hope to hear from you again and about your WONDERFUL travels !!!!