Hello nomads and snowbirds

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crave

Reaction score
Call me Crave or any other deragatory name you would like :)

I have been following CheapRVliving, Enigmatic Nomadics, Nomadic Fanatic and several others on YouTube for rather some time now. I am disabled, on Social Security and have lived in low-income housing for more than 10 years. While living in low income housing I have seen stabbings, rapes, beatings, murders and almost every other type of violent crime being commited. I grew up in Illinois on the Mississippi river in the Quad Cities area and have wanted to leave for a long time. After my recent failed apartment cluster f**k I decided what do I have to lose. I hammered out a deal with a personal financer and bought a 2016 Freedom V-nose 12x7 cargo trailer with a drop rear door. I have been living in this trailer for 3 months now parked at a friends house, it took me two weeks to decide that I was much happier living like this. It is ruff for now but is much better for many reasons. At the current time I am having a problem with the transmission in my 1995 Ford Crown Victoria so it looks like I may not be able to be truely nomadic untill mid to late summer. I have started a thread about making my trailer more wheelchair compatible involving a side drop door ramp vs lift. I plan to publish the layout, how-to and blueprints (hand-drafted plans that will be scanned in) after it is finished for free for all non-comercial applications.

Trailer so far:

Solar: 1 x 100 watt panel installed with 2 more in line to be installed
P30L charge controller from WindyNation (can handle up to 400 watts @ 12 V or 800 watts @ 24 V)

Batteries: 4 Interstate deep-cycle 12 V blems @ aprox 70-100 AmpH each (non-AGM) (plan to upgrade to 8 due to the amp limit in charging to prevent damage to the batteries)

Inverter: 200 watt Wagan Tech pure sine (need to be upgraded to a minimum of 1000 watts)

intererior: In the process of building and obtaing parts. Plan on having 1 24" x 80" bi-fold slide-away bed, built in shower, drop door/patio (I like grilling on a patio with a good drink and nice senery :), drop door side wheelchair ramp (after much debate and research, thanks to several of the people here).

I want a refridgerator/freezer of some type but that will be down the road a bit. I have figured that a freezer my be better than a refridgerator as you can then freeze water bottles and place them in a cooler for refidgeration, i would like to see if anyone does this now so I can weigh the pros and cons as it will add to the power drain from the freezer.

Much of this I am designing and fabricating alone with the help of friends and family for the things I can not do.

Ask me question, give me suggestions or just say hello.

Free at last!

Hi Crave! As a wheelchair users myself I can testify that this is a much better life than being stuck in an apartment all of the time.
I really like the idea of converting a small cargo trailer. Since you are designing your little home yourself you'll be able to have everything that you need and want set up in a way that will work for you and your chair. I'm looking forward to the pictures and plans of your trailer! Karen

Hey Crave, welcome! Great place here, loads of good info and some very cool people.

I only spent a year in a chair and four years on crutches when I was a kid, but it has colored how I view accessibility ever since. I always look for ramps and wide doorways, things like that. The typical RV seems to ignore almost every established protocol so it's great you're building your own!

Welcome to the CRVL forums Crave! We're looking forward to hearing more about your build, including any pics of it that you want to share.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. As the money comes in slow (monthly), progress is equally as slow so bear with me as there may be stretches in between posts.

I think there is power in taking control to create your vision. Wishing you all the best and eager to see some pics.

Welcome to the forum, Crave! Hope to meet you out here on the road.

Crave said:
Call me Crave or any other deragatory name you would like :) ... Ask me question, give me suggestions or just say hello. Free at last!

I'll just say hello, and offer a high-five on the "Free at last!" part!

I have decided to part out my 1995 Crown Victoria LX and replace it, due to a sticking valve body in the transmission that has caused excessive plate wear, with a 1997 Ford Crown Victoria LX. I have also started a GoFundMe and will be *gulp* making a FB page. My deadlines keep getting rushed but I keep moving forward with my plans. I am still in Illinois but have moved several times and it now looks like around August tenth I will be heading out west toward the Fort Collins, Colorado area to see a very good friend who has offered a 1 month parkng spot to me.

I thank everyone here who has inspired me to pursue this dream of true idependance, by helping with the making of videos, commenting on questions or by just being willing to let Bob and company show off what you have done.

Welcome to the tribe. You might be able to get a free or cheap wheel chair lift from someone who bought a high top wheelchair van and doesn't want the lift. Maybe post a wanted free add on Craigslist.
Another thing that may interest you is a group called Boondockers Welcome. you can do a Youtube search and find out more, but basically it is a listing of people who welcome travelers to stay a few days on their property. There is a $20 a year fee to join, but the actual campsites are free.
Let us know more about your GoFundMe page.

Latest posts