Hello!! New in KY here, can't decide on Van or Shuttle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallahadion

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've known for quite a while I wanted to live this life and tried it out last summer for 2 months via
my motorcycle. If I knew what I know now, I would have went ahead and got the van last year but hindsight is 20/20 so here I am, better late than never. 

I'm loving all the Youtube videos and this and many other sites for the info they provide. The biggest 
problem I'm having is deciding on either a van or a shuttle bus.  I will be hauling my motorcycle with
me everywhere I go.....it will be my toad....but its just a matter of whether i haul it with a trailer behind
a van or in a shuttle bus.  Maybe you guys and gals can give me some advice on this. 

The way I see it, I love the idea of both a van and a shuttle bus.....the van will get better mpg, easier to
park, but the stealth is compromised by hauling a small MC trailer behind with my bike on it (BMW R1200R).
The shuttle bus.....the kind I'm looking at....has the wheelchair lift and I can either use it to lift up into
the back of the bus or take it out and use a manual ramp to get it up in there. I like this idea of the bike
being enclosed and it really won't take up much room. The drawback I see is the mpg will be less, its bigger,
it might not be able to get to back country areas like I want to. 

Do you think I could get a fresh set of eyes on this decision for some pros and cons I might not have thought of?
The bus would probably be diesel and the van of course gas. 

Also regarding if I went with the van.....is it better to go bare bones cargo van and build it out yourself, or spend
the extra money for the "camper van" with all the amenities?

And lastly.....a financial decision.....I'm wanting to do this full time so I would need to do something with my 
2012 Ford Escape.....it only has 28,000 miles on it so I was thinking of trading it in on a van if I decided on that
path.....in my thinking, I would be able to get something much newer than I could with just my savings.  If I went with the shuttle bus, I was thinking of selling the Escape and that would be my initial funds. Of course I could sell private party as well.

Any insight, recommendations, or advice is welcomed. I plan that by October this will be my full time rig as I'm already signed up to work the sugar beet harvest.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Bluegrass Voyager! Congratulations on your decision to join us! I think that you stated the pros and cons of either a van or shuttle bus very well. It's not an easy choice as both are good options. I'm no help :-D but good luck with whatever you decide!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

I'm sure you know that any time you "trade in" you lose money, possible thousands on something newer. And you never let them know you want to trad in until after negotiating a final price. Sometimes it can be worth the convenience tho...

Check out this van motorcycle hitch on this site's you tube channel:

Chevy Astro Motorcycle hitch weld job... I know they actually carry a motorcycle and a scooter, and maybe something else. Point being it don't need to be so big I'd think...

Hi and welcome.

Tell us more about this motorcycle trip!

Congrats on being signed up for the beet harvest and deciding to get on the road full time.  Keep us updated.

Go with the van and a enclosed trailer for the bike. You don't want to have to mess with a wet and dirty motorcycle every day. No matter what condition its in, you can park it in the trailer, close the doors and walk away.

Regarding the shuttle bus, contact your insurance company with the VIN first prior to the purchase. They may not cover it.

Hi Bluegrass Voyager, welcome to CRVL.

Deciding which platform to live your wheel life from is such a highly personal and subjective thing. So many pros and cons to each that it comes down to what your own priorities are. There is a lot of information in the posts here that might be helpful. For example, I basically know that a gas van will be my platform even though many recommend diesel---that's based on my personal needs.

Since you already have the Ford Escape and plan to tow a trailer for your motorcycle, I'm going to add another idea to your mix of choices. Somebody already mentioned an enclosed trailer and you mentioned that you like the idea of having your MC enclosed---what about keeping the Escape for now (assuming it has a tow package?) and getting a cargo trailer to fix up as a combined living space/toy hauler? If you make your build basically removable then when you find your dream vehicle you could sell it without much loss or keep it still as your toy hauler. You would also have the basics to move to whatever platform you switch to.

That would allow you not to go through the financial loss of selling or trading until you have a better idea what would suit your own specific needs.

Look forward to seeing what way you decide to go and photos of your build/s. :)

BradKW said:
I'm sure you know that any time you "trade in" you lose money, possible thousands on something newer. And you never let them know you want to trad in until after negotiating a final price. Sometimes it can be worth the convenience tho...

Check out this van motorcycle hitch on this site's you tube channel:

Chevy Astro Motorcycle hitch weld job... I know they actually carry a motorcycle and a scooter, and maybe something else. Point being it don't need to be so big I'd think...

I watched the vid....yeah, I've thought about that too but had a local MC shop (i know the people that own it so i trust them) tell me that
one of their friends had something similar on their RV and then they had some sort of trouble and the dealer said that addition voided the warranty.  Regardless, I am looking into it, but I think for a van, its a bit much for full time hauling the MC, every once in a while would
probably work fine.

LoupGarou said:
Go with the van and a enclosed trailer for the bike. You don't want to have to mess with a wet and dirty motorcycle every day. No matter what condition its in, you can park it in the trailer, close the doors and walk away.

Regarding the shuttle bus, contact your insurance company with the VIN first prior to the purchase. They may not cover it.

I beginning to think the same thing, the shuttle is a good idea, I'd love a stand up shower......but while I don't doubt that I could do the build,
I think starting out the van is simpler.

anewbiewannabe said:
Hi Bluegrass Voyager, welcome to CRVL.

Deciding which platform to live your wheel life from is such a highly personal and subjective thing. So many pros and cons to each that it comes down to what your own priorities are.  There is a lot of information in the posts here that might be helpful. For example, I basically know that a gas van will be my platform even though many recommend diesel---that's based on my personal needs.

Since you already have the Ford Escape and plan to tow a trailer for your motorcycle, I'm going to add another idea to your mix of choices.  Somebody already mentioned an enclosed trailer and you mentioned that you like the idea of having your MC enclosed---what about keeping the Escape for now (assuming it has a tow package?) and getting a cargo trailer to fix up as a combined living space/toy hauler? If you make your build basically removable then when you find your dream vehicle you could sell it without much loss or keep it still as your toy hauler. You would also have the basics to move to whatever platform you switch to.

That would allow you not to go through the financial loss of selling or trading until you have a better idea what would suit your own specific needs.

Look forward to seeing what way you decide to go and photos of your build/s. :)

I had certainly considered that and even went to the expense to put a hitch receiver on the escape only to find out that since its the 4 cylinder model, its only rated at 1500# tow capacity.  It would be enough for say a tear drop trailer but then there's no place for the MC.  Since I wrote this original post above I have a thought about a truck / slide in camper combo and then a trailer for the bike.  Of course.....none of the options are as stealthy as the van / enclosed trailer option.

Hello and welcome..I've got folks in Breckenridge county and lived there in Cloverport myself. 

When I first found this sight I went from Yeah!...I'm Gonna live in a VAN ...and a CARGO TRAILER....to......or convert my 4x4 Ranger and pop up trailer for off grid...but....I really like GYPSY WAGONS.  I think it's o.k. to take the time to figure out what is best for our individual needs and wants.

No matter what anyone sez.......  SIZE DOES MATTER!...... Whither its a car......suv....pick up......van..... box van........bus... Then engines...trannies...tires...hitches....tools.......pets/supplies......solar...water storage......food storage...and all the stuff that may be important to one but useless to another...even the size of a person is a factor when determining bed builds.  There are just so many things to decide on and then work with.

Again Welcome..QUEENIE and I gotta go watch Steven Segal  "F*** somebody up ugly" as he sez. 
                                                        :)      HAPPY TRAILS TJB

Hello, Being east of the Mississippi there's not a lot of places to stealth camp. Most camping will be hard top,think wally world. So trailers are ok. Next thing to do is go for it. Life is going on without you while you plan your escape to freedom. HoboJoe

Hi Welcome to the group,
You've got a lot of good suggestions so i won't try and add any. Plus i'm sort of in the same boat so not sure I can be giving advice just yet!

I'm currently in my search for the best vehicle or vehicle and trailer for me as well. So far i'm thinking a van with 4x4 added, or converting a 7x14 cargo trailer and towing it with my silverado. Or buying a slightly larger van like a mercedes sprinter with factory 4x4 and not towing anything. I want to travel with a dual sport but thinking i'll do that on a hitch mounted carrier. However, if I were to tow a trailer I could have a nice base camp set up and bring an ATV along too. Decisions decisions.
All my options are very expensive so need to think about that as well. If I keep my truck and convert a cargo trailer, that would be the cheapest so it probably is the better route to go at first.
That's great you are already lined up to do the beet harvest. Keep us all posted on what you decide and on your build if you go that route.

BradKW said:

Having bought more new cars than I care to admit in the last 15 years and trading them in as well,  I've never actually found this practice to work in theory.  As well as  having friends in the industry back it up.  The whole price negotiation is a big game to them.  If they know about your trade ahead of time they'll give you more than it's worth so it looks like they are taking more off the new car price or hold the trade card close til you negotiate the  new  car price and then they offer you a wholesale amount on the trade saying that's what they get them for at auction.  Best is to know what you're willing to pay for the new car and know a fair amount your trade is worth beforehand and go in with that.  
    That being said, I always buy my new cars from one of the largest dealers in New England and there has been complaints against him from other dealers that he sells vehicles from time to time well below what they can buy them for.  He is able to do that because of his volume of sales and kick backs from GM, Ford, etc.  I only buy them when he has his insane sales so last truck I bought was 12k off MSRP  I trade them in almost every two years and get damn near what I actually paid for it.   Vehicles have always been bought under my business so it's all a write off at the end of the day anyways.  I can either have a new car every 2-3 years or pay the extra money to Uncle Sam.  

I've never traded in a used vehicle for another used vehicle however, so the margins and games they play might be different under those scenerios