Hello from the Land of Enchantment

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axel

Reaction score
Hello from New Mexico! 

Just finished converting an E350 passenger van into a simple camper (well, it's never really finished). Anyway, looking forward to the discussions.

Welcome Axel to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

image1.jpeg

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
If you tilt that canopy so it is lower on the outside all the rain and debris will fall on the ground instead of on your roof. I often see people putting canopies up like that and wonder why. Am I missing something?

If it's raining I lower one of the corners. Simple.

Welcome to the forum axle. Looks like you’re a lot further along than many newbies here you probably have a lot to teach us. Everybody has something to teach. Are you planning to stay near “home” Or get on the road? If you can show us the inside of your rig and tell us about how you do the typical things we all have to do like eat sleep poop P wash and the rest. God bless the nomads every one

Thanks. Next time we take it out I'll take some photos. We mostly live in our house in Albuquerque, but use the van for short trips out of town here in New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah. Once things settle down and we feel safe to travel more we'll use it for longer excursions around the country and Canada (when they let Americans in again). 

The van is almost finished; I'm getting ready to install a solid fuel heater to extend our trips into the fall and winter - We're going with a Dickinson Newport solid fuel heater.

The slant up away from the van lets hot air escape.

I've been in NM the past couple of months. Right now I'm camped in El Malpais (wow, a cell signal) and headed to Bisti/De-Na-Zin tomorrow to hike among the hoodoos.

wayne49 said:
The slant up away from the van lets hot air escape.
The wide perspective lens on my cell phone makes it look like it's up. It's actually level, but I designed it to have a gap at the van so wind can blow through instead of blowing it off. It overlaps the roof of the van, but there's about an 8 inch gap.

MrNoodly said:
I've been in NM the past couple of months. Right now I'm camped in El Malpais (wow, a cell signal) and headed to Bisti/De-Na-Zin tomorrow to hike among the hoodoos.
Welcome to NM. There's a lot to see here.

Congratulations on your build.  That will make a fine example for others here who would like to see a real example
of a first build.

I have to laugh when I look at the phot0.  I'm reminded of my Dad always carrying rolled up pieces of tar paper
and carpet.  Once the awning was set up (dining fly he used) we would roll out the tar paper and then the carpet over it so the sitting/dining area would meet with his standards.   He claimed it could get muddy and nasty if it rained otherwise. 

And I agree about tilting the awning down if it rains cause the outer edge can become like a bag of water.  At 8 lbs a gallon it won't take but a few gallons of collected water before the whole thing collapses on your stuff.   And you may want to have your side doors closed before it would rain, cause the awning will sag enough to make closing them difficult. 

I'd like to see interior photos,  but from what I'm seeing of the outside I think you did a fine job. :thumbsup:

Axel said:
Welcome to NM. There's a lot to see here.

Thank you, but this isn't my first time here. I have friends near Taos, ABQ and Silver City. I've covered most of the western half the the state, plus some of the east, like Carlsbad, Roswell, Clovis and Tucumcari. I like New Mexico.

eDJ_ said:
Congratulations on your build.  That will make a fine example for others here who would like to see a real example
of a first build.

I have to laugh when I look at the phot0.  I'm reminded of my Dad always carrying rolled up pieces of tar paper
and carpet.  Once the awning was set up (dining fly he used) we would roll out the tar paper and then the carpet over it so the sitting/dining area would meet with his standards.   He claimed it could get muddy and nasty if it rained otherwise. 

And I agree about tilting the awning down if it rains cause the outer edge can become like a bag of water.  At 8 lbs a gallon it won't take but a few gallons of collected water before the whole thing collapses on your stuff.   And you may want to have your side doors closed before it would rain, cause the awning will sag enough to make closing them difficult. 

I'd like to see interior photos,  but from what I'm seeing of the outside I think you did a fine job. :thumbsup:
It's a fairly simple build. Started as a 15 passenger van and I took all the seats out and left the interior panels and headliner in. On the roof there's a 150 watt solar panel, attachments for my DIY canvas awning, a 10 ft x 6 inch diameter PVC tube to store the awning and poles, and two 6 inch diameter vent fans in the far back corners (no opening windows in the rear of the van). Mounted to the floor just ahead of the left wheel well is a 110 amp AGM for a couple LED dimmable lights, power for the roof vent fans, power for charging devices and a radio, and a 300 watt sine wave inverter. Everything is run through a 20 amp Morningstar inverter except the inverter. For a bed I cut the arms off of a wooden Futon frame, bolted it so it can't fold, and added 6 inches to the legs to create storage underneath. The mattress is just a futon mattress with a memory foam pad. In the next two weeks I plan to add a solid fuel sailboat heater, assuming all the parts arrive on time. Other than the tent, cots, and sleeping bags my car camping gear transferred nicely to the van.

MrNoodly said:
Thank you, but this isn't my first time here. I have friends near Taos, ABQ and Silver City. I've covered most of the western half the the state, plus some of the east, like Carlsbad, Roswell, Clovis and Tucumcari. I like New Mexico.
Regardless, I hope you have a good time. The fall colors are fabulous right now in the northern part of the state (well, anywhere where there's aspens in our many mountain ranges). There's a lot to see. I've only been here 13 years and have only scratched the surface. NM really grows on you - the more you learn the more you want to experience.

nice set up. that picture looks like a great spot. I had no idea that NM had aspen trees... was that CO??

I see on your small side door you have something shelf like or such. Does that secure another "table/countertop"?

I want to put a removable longish countertop on that particular door placed somehow so to be useful when the door is open or closed.

the "mythology" of NM has always sent shivers down my my back..those kachina dolls especially make me spooked... there is the sense of the eerie to me in NM. i definitely want to visit but I am certain I would be trying to figure out who is and who isn't an alien.
what a fun place!. I think we could get enough votes to rename it "The Spooky State." :dodgy:

any suggestions on minimal building codes and cheap land areas down there for winter base?

I am considering buying some kind of RV, but am about 6'6" tall. About the only system I've found that I can stand up in are step vans. I have only the street to park on when at home, and very tight spaces. Any ideas? By the way, I had a full sized bus that worked well but had to pay about $100 per month to store it, in the metro area where I live.

Latest posts