Hello from Sacramento

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IamMe

Reaction score
I have been reading for quite awhile and decided to join finally. 

A little about me:

Male
Stealth living in my 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan for almost 2 months . As stealthy as one can be.
Work full time at a crappy paying job but can't afford all that goes with renting, besides I actually love sleeping in my van once I put up the blackouts in my windows :)

Cook by butane stove, sleep on a bed frame made from milk crates(mattress on top), eat well and sleep well(once I actually find a night spot)

Welcome to the CRVL forums IamMe! Glad it's working out for you! Do you have any tips to share with forum members who are just now trying stealthy vandwelling?

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome IamMe...

California's time for working folks has long since past. I too still reside and work in California and hate myself for doing it. As I move towards full retirement I won't be hanging out in the highest cost, highest taxed and highest % welfare state more commonly referred to as California...

I won't be here much longer either. Eventually the plan is to go North to WA State, I have family up there. I am working on getting rid of stuff I absolutely don't need or cherish and me on my way. It is going to be to hot to do any van dwelling here shortly.

That sounds like a great plan. No state tax income tax in WA as well. Lower living cost and waaay slower lifestyle...

Deal Breaker said:
...No state tax income tax in WA as well...

But property taxes are very high to offset those "missing" taxes.
Ii guess as long as you're in a vehicle and don't own property in WA, you miss paying for that particular government income stream.  :)

PS: I used to live in Rancho Cordova when Mather AFB was still there.  I should have bought that house in Arlington Heights overlooking the American river for $14,000 ... DOH!  :)

IamMe said:

A little about me:

Male
Stealth living in my 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan for almost 2 months . As stealthy as one can be.
Work full time at a crappy paying job but can't afford all that goes with renting, besides I actually love sleeping in my van once I put up the blackouts in my windows :)

Cook by butane stove, sleep on a bed frame made from milk crates(mattress on top), eat well and sleep well(once I actually find a night spot)

Hi there, I'm in Sacramento also. Just bought an Astro van to set up for road trips. Where in town are you boondocking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deal Breaker said:
Welcome IamMe...

California's time for working folks has long since past. I too still reside and work in California and hate myself for doing it. As I move towards full retirement I won't be hanging out in the highest cost, highest taxed and highest % welfare state more commonly referred to as California...

heartvoice13 said:
Hi there, I'm in Sacramento also. Just bought an Astro van to set up for road trips. Where in town are you boondocking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tonight I found a great place in Arden area. I drive delivery and said to myself tonight. "Self where did you drive the other night that was full of cars, dark and no traffic to speak of?' As I lay here typing this :)

Also in Sacramento! Solo female 31. Looking to make new friends. Staying here for a little bit in my hightop van and visiting old friends.

IamMe said:

A little about me:

Male

Welcome! I’m new, too. Like you I’ve been reading and watching Bob on YouTube. I used to live in CA. Now I’m in Texas. Sounds like you’re already on your way :shy:. I will be too, in the not so distant future. Safe travels!

Riverman said:
Welcome to our forum.  It's great to have you here.

I'm from the smokies and I will be back on that side of town by June! I would love to attend the party. How do I get info?

IamMe , heartvoice13 and Shapemysoulisin

Is there any Van,Car ,Minivan,Suv dweller meetup groups in Sacramento? I'm a future van dweller doing research and I could use some tips and advice

Welcome all you newbies from Calif, I too am from Contra Costa county. Been here most of my 59 years and HATE this town and area. I jumped in to this after wanting to do it my entire adult life. Finally I can on a showstring and a prayer.
You all will do fine, once I saw Bob's video's I knew it was time and it is all flowing together.
Welcome and keep posting your status or builds.

I've been many places in my van, and California is still the only place that feels like home. Live your best life.

My ex-wife is from a little town south of Sac called Clarksburgh. We went there 4-5 times a year (her parents home) it is nice there but crazy expensive.

NoMadYesHappy said:
But property taxes are very high to offset those "missing" taxes.
Ii guess as long as you're in a vehicle and don't own property in WA, you miss paying for that particular government income stream.  :)

PS: I used to live in Rancho Cordova when Mather AFB was still there.  I should have bought that house in Arlington Heights overlooking the American river for $14,000 ... DOH!  :)
"But property taxes are very high to offset those 'missing' taxes."

Quite true, and I can add another "feature" is that the property tax never goes down in WA since I moved here in 1982 - even during 2008-2009. I left CA in late 1979 and never go back, except to visit my family (now down to only 1). Now I am planning to leave WA for the very same reason.
Perhaps, I should move back to CA as they're now giving away $500/mo. to everybody (UBI), no question ask.
Nah! :p

Latest posts