Hello from Ohio.....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matlock

Reaction score
I have spent most of the last year lurking here and other RV sites looking for first hand experience in conversions.

Back in October I purchased an 06 U-Haul 1 ton box truck. It has the 10' x 6' box with a roll-up door. I'm calling it my "Cube".

I retired in December and am anxious to begin a minor makeover. My garage isn't heated so by mid March I should be able to get started with 120V shore power connection, a bed, refrigeration and chemical toilet.

I want to get out on the road for a week or so at a time before I decide what my final additions will be.  

If I could figure out how to post photo's I'd be happy to share as my project progresses and I will certainly appreciate any and all input.

Hey Richard - welcome to the group.

The way I post photos is to type in my text, then hit 'preview post'. The new dialogue box has a button below entitle 'add attachments'. Then there's another button that says 'insert into post'

Hope that helps.

Welcome Richard!  You have a lot of great space to work with. Any ideas  of layouts?

06 GMC Cube 2A.jpg

Thanks Seraphim for the pic help.

surfer,
My goal is to be as stealthy as possible for overnight parking and still have what I need when parked for a few weeks and connected to shore power.
I'm still debating about replacing the rear roll-up door with a man door and adding windows to the sides. Both are stealth killers but I'll see what works.  

Attachments

• 06 GMC Cube 2A.jpg
    06 GMC Cube 2A.jpg
    88 KB
Welcome to the CRVL forums, Matlock! That's a beautiful truck! Looking forwardto seeing more.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Can you access the cargo compartment from the driver's seat? If so, I wouldn't mess with the roll up door. Just make sure some joker can't lock it from the outside, but you can open it from the inside, in case of an emergency.

Our home base is SW Ohio, btw. Didn't know what region you're from.

Nice Rig. A U-Haul was one of my choices as well. I like the lower floor height. Can you share how you purchased it and how come it does not have u-haul markings or faded paint from markings.

If it was me, I would keep it stealth like it, perhaps a skylight or side window with a cover over it, and build a insulated, sealed, wall with a large sliding glass doors just inside the roll up door. That way when not stealthing you could simply roll up the back door and have a first class view to whatever you are backed up to.

Actually this is what I am planning to do with our house trailer one day. Install solar on the roof but also on one outside wall. They would be in a frame and fold out, or you could just have one in a frame that would fold down and when up would cover your side window for stealth.

Rocket Ronny

Matlock said:
Thanks Seraphim for the pic help.

surfer,
My goal is to be as stealthy as possible for overnight parking and still have what I need when parked for a few weeks and connected to shore power.
I'm still debating about replacing the rear roll-up door with a man door and adding windows to the sides. Both are stealth killers but I'll see what works.  

What about 2 swing out doors like you see on some utility trucks? Or a flip Down one that could double as a deck? I read recently where someone put a window in their truck, then built a stealthy cover for it that flipped down when not in stealth mode & had garage sales out of it.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Seraphim, I did cut a doorway to access the box from the drivers seat. I'll most likely move the lock to the inside on the rear door.

my_vantasy, I'm in the eastern side of the state. (almost, but not quite a Steelers fan).

VanoRama, The truck was parked for sale in front of my local ACE Hdwe. I test drove it and had the computer checked. Showed the tranny was going to need rebuilt or replaced and had an exhaust leak. I called U-Haul and made a low ball offer based on what they were asking and what I found. We eventually came to an agreement. As to the exterior, before I purchased it UHaul had painted the front cab and covered the box with 4' wide sheets of white vinyl wrap. The stuff they make decals out of. They didn't do a great job but at least it's all one color.

At least for the time being I'm leaving the rear door as it is. A flip down door might be a good option. I've seen a few examples of trailers that use the door as a deck. That's do-able.

I kind of like Ronny's suggestion about the screen door behind the roll up. Or a drop down or extending porch...

...a slide out sun room lol!

Actually the more I think about it........
If I can find a way to have a drop down deck with an awing and a zip-in screen room.....

Matlock said:
Actually the more I think about it........
If I can find a way to have a drop down deck with an awing and a zip-in screen room.....

You may want to plan for that as well as have a way to keep the interior a little warmer on cool nights so that you don't have to pack up the deck/awning/screen room every night.

That's where an interior wall panel just inside the rear opening with either a standard door opening or a set of sliding door panels would work.

I like the idea of using the back door as a deck.

Hello, Matlock - I am on the eastern line of the state as well - just in from Sharon, PA.

I am just in the conversion planning stage (mini van) - but, am hoping to be on the road by May.

Good luck with your project and be safe on the roads. :)

What are the measurement for the wheel wells? How high, how wide, how far do they Jut out?
And where is the gas pipe in correspondence to them?

Good luck with the truck. Looks like a nice project in the making. :)