Hello fellow nomads. Any south bound Canadians?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOVEMYRV!

Reaction score
I am a 54 year old former teacher from Manitoba Canada..  I travel solo .. with my brat cat Max.  I sold my house and now am full time in my 2012 Coachman Freelander motorhome.  I really want to connect with other nomads and thats not so easy in Canada.
I'm not new to rv life; I started in 2010 while I still had my house so I know a lot and am quite self sufficient.  I drove to BC last summer which was a blast and was not afraid at all.
I am planning on heading south in October but not sure which way to go or where to go.  I'm not that saavy about planning trips or using things to do that.  I've been more of a " wing it" type traveller.
I am thinking of going west to Vancouver  and then cross the border as that route in Canada
t is familiar to me.   I've only been to Minnesota in my RV so a little nervous.
I want to go to the RTR but that's not until January.
I like to camp where there is sonewhere to swim / bike / sight see .. I am not into the Bush scene unless with others.   I like being near urban areas.
I do not tow a car so rely on my bike or my RV to get around.
If anyone has ideas for me let me know.  If there are any Canadians heading south that would like company that would be great as we could caravan some or all of the way.  
I know once I get to the USA I won't be as lonely.  I do like alone time but I do want SOME camaraderie too which I dont have.

Hiya! sounds like you have a great set up already, nice going! There are MANY people on the road now through January in lovely campsites.
You will find so many helpful friends here. I'm just a newbie,
I'm stuck in MN til' who knows when but I just love learning about other's set ups and plans. You're an inspiration!

Welcome to the CRVL forums, ILOVEMYRV! I'm going to edit the title of your post to include Canada. We do have a few members and I know at least one will be traveling south of your border.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi all I am also new here. So excited after becoming part of this and hope so will have a nice time here.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm most likely the 'other Canadian' that Cyndi was speaking of.... :D (waves hi to Cyndi)

The tribe starts gathering in Ehrenberg by late November so you'll have as much company there as you (and they) want.

I won't be leaving BC until later in November due to time constraints placed on me by health care systems. I just moved here from Ontario and have to put in my 5 months residency to keep my BCHC in place over the winter. I also just bought a home for my son and his wife to live in and have to make sure that all is settled before I head out.

Once I get south of the border I will be headed leisurely I hope, down the pacific coast hugging it as much as possible. If the weather is not good, I'll be rushing through WA and OR until I get to nicer stuff! if it goes well, I won't get to AZ until January... :heart:

Unlike you I stay as far away from urban areas as possible and am more likely to be found deep in the bush than anywhere else. But I'm sure I'll run in to you somewhere in Arizona.

Don't be afraid of winging it! I use freecampsites.net to find free and low cost campsites and Allstays.com (drivers section) to find which Walmarts are okay to stay at and mix it up with Casninocamper.com for good measure... :)

Almost There said:
Don't be afraid of winging it! I use freecampsites.net to find free and low cost campsites and Allstays.com (drivers section) to find which Walmarts are okay to stay at and mix it up with Casninocamper.com for good measure... :)

Hi and welcome.

I like Park Advisor in addition to the above mentioned apps. It's great for Forest Service, state and BLM campgrounds. You have to zoom in to get them but once you do it shows them all. 

I tend to over plan and need to be a little more open to winging it. Maybe when I go full time in January I can learn to be more spontaneous.  

Best wishes on your travels. Maybe I'll run in to you in AZ. I'll be the one in the hail damaged Aliner.  :D

LOVEMYRV! said:
I've only been to Minnesota in my RV so a little nervous.
LoL, I don't think the rest of the US is as bad as that!

Minnesota is awesome three months out of the year. I think the mosquito is the state bird is it not?

Gypsy Clipper said:
Minnesota is awesome three months out of the year. I think the mosquito is the state bird is it not?

MNbird.jpg
 well  yesh... But not as bad as gulf states right now....*climate change is real*
 (sorry Brenda, I'm done stealin ur thread now .. :shy:)

Scott7022 said:
I want to ask a few Canadian specific questions but I will start a new thread for CANUCK CONCERNS issues, legalities and the like.
Hi, from Quebec.
Wonder if you have already started CANUCK CONCERNS. I am looking for it.
Best wishes to all and hoping to meet you at RTR.
Genie.