Gravity vs Pressurized Water Faucet

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you get your water?

• I use a faucet and an electric pump just like an RV.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • I use an electric pump of my own design/modification.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I use a small battery pump.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use a pump-up sprayer.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I use plain, old gravity.

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canine

Reaction score
When planning my build I had researched faucets, pumps, holding tanks, etc. I finally decided on a ShurFlo pump and faucet. I couldn't afford it right away, so I'm having to turn the spigot on my AquaTainer for water. Gravity to the rescue!

Interestingly, it is working extremely well. I'm not having a problem rinsing my dishes off. I can wash my hands. I can quickly fill up bowls, etc. I'm still extremely frugal with the water. Now I have no desire to buy a pump and faucet and route the wiring and plumbing. It might not look as nice as a having a faucet, but I don't care. Not having a faucet could be a problem when trying to look good for specific people like law enforcement or a nosy neighbor. If it looks like a miniature version of a real house, people will be impressed. If it looks like you just got done with a week of camping during hunting season, anyone looking may take a negative view.

What do you like to use to bring water?

karl said:
Gravity has never failed me.

I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005S4LOYY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

Also carry a few gallon jugs from Wally World, often refilled.....and a 5 gal. water jug, just in case.

We use these a lot at work and they are great.  Very sturdy, and translucent so you can see how much water is in them.  Efficient shape.  They also come in a 2.5 gallon size.  If I wind up with a DIY van build, this is what I'll use, with a super sturdy shelf.  The 2.5 gallon size would be easier to use because of the weight.  

carboy with spigot

I use dollar store trigger spray bottles, along with dollar store dishpans for sinks.

This allows for both indoor and outdoor use without duplication.

I love the trigger spray bottles, they make it very handy to get the water exactly where you want it, and they are also very frugal on water.

If I need a larger quantity of water, I have a siphon pump into a 7 gallon water container that I fill for free at city parks. Place what you want filled on the floor, give the pump a squeeze or two to get it started, and it will work the same as your gravity fed system, except it doesn't need to be hoisted into place, or take up counter space.

My student desk is my kitchen counter, desk, and workbench, so I like keeping it clear for any and all uses. The dishpans and spray bottles are easy to stash out of the way and oh so handy when and where you need them.

Almost there, I like those except when I go to rub my hands together to rinse them off; I like a continuous flow of water for that.

My set up does take up counter space, which I don't like. Counter space is important to me.

Off Grid, those trigger spray bottles work surprisingly well, don't they? Very frugal with the water indeed!! Yet they get the job done just fine.

Karl, I thought about getting those as I really like the design, but they let light in and that could contribute to algae growth, so I opted for an opaque one. But now I can't see what is in there! I guess if I don't know what is going on in there, it is out of sight, out if mind. lol

Have an extra pump up sprayer? Faucet hose from a thriftstore?
af3e9e7989b7fd89a99cd165bc7ea670.jpg

I borrowed pic from camping forum. I have same thing in my rig. I pump up once and the pressure is good till I use more water. I can even do an emergency shower incase I meet a nice lady out there somewhere. [emoji12]

Milk Hauler, I tried that type of faucet, but it used a bit too much water for my taste and the on/off handle is spring loaded, which was a deal breaker for me. However, all in all, not a bad set up.

Yeah. Well my method ain't for everyone. It works for me. If u invent something handy, then share it here. I survived 19 months in this truck due to lil tid bits here and there from several forums. You'll find something that works. [emoji41]

Canine said:
Off Grid, those trigger spray bottles work surprisingly well, don't they? Very frugal with the water indeed!! Yet they get the job done just fine.

It's hands down the best solution I've found, because it is also so portable it makes it a breeze to clean counter tops, windows, mirrors, bird droppings off the van, or even a picnic table. 

Even when I had RV's with running water, I was using my spray bottles more than the running water.  Need to clean the shower or toilet, spray bottle to the rescue.

The ones I have also let you adjust the output from a fine spray to a strong stream, to make them even more versatile.

If it's hot out, give yourself a squirt to cool off, that works too, even in high humidity. If there's a breeze or you have a fan that's even better.  I was at a Tin Can Tourists rally in Florida once, and another camper saw me do this, and commented that it didn't work well in high humidity.  I told hm "It does if the water's cold!", and soon everybody in camp was doing it, and it noticeably raised the spirits of everybody in camp.

If anybody here hasn't tried spray bottles, you're missing out, give them a try.

Milk Hauler said:
Have an extra pump up sprayer? Faucet hose from a thriftstore?
af3e9e7989b7fd89a99cd165bc7ea670.jpg

I borrowed pic from camping forum. I have same thing in my rig. I pump up once and the pressure is good till I use more water. I can even do an emergency shower incase I meet a nice lady out there somewhere.   [emoji12]

I have one of these that I use sometimes, and I added a slight improvement to mine, at least in my humble opinion.  I took a little piece of waterproof rope and tied it in a loop to keep the button depressed.  It can then just be slid upwards to allow the spring shutoff to work again.  This works great for doing your backside, then you just slide the loop up to do the rest of you while conserving water.

can't beat gravity. remember the law of gravity, works every time. nothing to go wrong there. having said that I have a home built water pump system and have a gravity feed off the system for when the electronics fail. highdesertranger

Is there a trick to keeping the spray bottles working?
I've always had them stop moving the water up and out eventually.

highdesertranger said:
can't beat gravity.  remember the law of gravity,  works every time.  nothing to go wrong there.  having said that I have a home built water pump system and have a gravity feed off the system for when the electronics fail.  highdesertranger

You will never hear me saying, "I better run down to the hardware store and pick up some more gravitons. And I better pick up a new gravity filter while I'm there; the neutrinos are bad this year and have just about plugged it up."

Cathead, I'm not extremely familiar with spray bottles, but there are cheap ones that just don't last. You kind of get what you pay for.

Someone uses a battery powered sprayer. It's just like a trigger sprayer from a small bottle, but it uses one AA battery. I saw a video on it and liked how well it worked. I remember it being cheap, too. She showed it being used for rinsing dishes and her toothbrush.

The seal in the cheap ones fails very quickly and then they won't hold their prime or ever get it back.

The best I've ever found is at Home Depot and cost $3. That's triple the price of others but I had one last me three years and sometimes the cheap ones won't last a month.

Another very good one I found at Walmart in the ironing section with the Mainstay brand. They will also last for years but they are smaller than most, they look like a 16.9 oz water bottle with a sprayer on top. The sprayer lasts a long time. I have vinegar in one and soapy water in another.
Bob

Cathead said:
Is there a trick to keeping the spray bottles working?  I've always had them stop moving the water up and out eventually.

I take it that you are talking about regular hand-pump spray bottles.  If so, my experience has been mixed.  I buy mine at dollar stores.  Some of those bottles have been working for more than 5 years, and a few just stopped working as you've described. 

One thing I have learned is that chlorine bleach, even very diluted (1t to bottle), will eventually break spray bottles.  I think it must eat away at the parts that make it spray.

Suanne ... who uses spray bottles a lot.

.Cathead said:
Is there a trick to keeping the spray bottles working?
I've always had them stop moving the water up and out eventually.

If they are having trouble getting started, I pull the trigger, then put a finger over the nozzle while letting the trigger out.  Sometimes it may take 2 or 3 pumps like this to get the water up the tube.

Normally my spray bottles will last several years before they just quit.  I keep a couple of spares on hand for when this happens.  I get mine at the dollar stores, so the price is right.

When they do give up on you, some of the soda or water bottle caps will fit them, and dish soap caps sometimes as well.  So if I have a need, I will switch caps and reuse them for something else I need.

In addition to what Milk Hauler said in post #7, I also spray paint the outside of the pump up spray bottle black. I set it out for the sun to warm it. You do have to shower before night, as the water will get cold quick when not in the sunlight. If the sun isn't shining you can use hot water from the stove or campfire.
I can shower on less than a gallon of water. Wet myself down, let go of the faucet, soap up, rinse off.

Has anyone had any feedback with 2gal pressurized pesticide sprayers? Obviously new out of the box, I just got one to use for rinsing sand and dirt off before getting into my van

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk