How to pressurize my gravity feed water systems

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoney

Reaction score
Hello all, forgive the long story below,

Initially I used a 4 inch PVC tank that reduces and feeds through a 1/2 inch tube into the faucet I installed. The tank in it's present state is pictured below.

While the system does work all said and done, the water only comes out at a steady drip, taking 10-15 minutes to fill 1 cup/8 ounces. I initially tried adding an air admittance valve, thinking it needed more air flow. This changed nothing. Next I capped and sealed the tank, and added a air nozzle so I could pump it with my bike pump, but this doesn't seem to be building any pressure either. What can I do? I can't feasibly wash dishes like this.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MkqwhaU14MxKtfXs9

Where does the tank drain from? The bottom? Does the tank slope toward the drain? And as it drains can it get make-up air?

Did you pay your gravity bill? No? I bet that's it.

:angel:

Just kidding of course. Does the flow increase if you simply remove the hose or tube from the tank output valve?

If so, we might assume there is an obstruction or a kink in the downflow tubing.

It really is hard to tell much from your pictures without a written description with each photo. Most likely you have a restriction in the system. The old school water fire extinguishers which used small diameter hoses are set up similar to what you describe and when charged with air pressure sprayed water 20' dumping several gallons in just a few minutes. I would check glued connections to see if excess glue could have caused a restriction and maybe blow back through the lines with my pump to see if there was a back pressure or blockage from debris.

You have a restriction in the water piping.

The old school water fire extinguishers

Swinging a bit off topic. Yes, we were all adults. I was in a situation where I knew I was going to be accosted by a group of people with super soaker water guns. I had one of those old extinguishers so I think it took 2-+ gallons of water and about 100 psi. I put it between my knees in the truck and went to meet their "surprise" ambush.

MG

Regarding the original question, the way to get flow is to create back pressure. And the way to create back pressure is to shape the pipe in the proper way. One of the reasons house plumbing has U shapes and sections that go straight downward is to create back pressure. On the input side this is usually done with a pump or with city water pressure, but in the drain side it's accomplished by shaping the pipe in specific ways.

The field of knowledge that studies this is called "plumbing". :) Do you know any plumbers that would let you ask them questions?

Shoney said:
 . . . Initially I used a 4 inch PVC tank that reduces and feeds through a 1/2 inch tube into the faucet I installed.
 . . .

The proper way to troubleshoot a problem is to start at one end and work towards the other.  Tx2sturgis suggestion is a good place to start:
 - remove the hose from the tank exit nipple.  Does the water run out freely?
 - open the faucet and blow on the tank end of the hose.  Easy or hard to blow? (or you can remove the hose from the faucet end and blow from either end.)
 - try blowing through the open faucet.
 - anything else between the tank and faucet?  Remove them from the system until you get free flow.

That should tell you where the problem is.  My guess is there is a kink or other obstruction in the hose.
Also, 1/2" I.D. hose is a little small; I'd go with 3/4" or larger, but you should be getting better than a trickle.

"Air over Water"...........

You need air to replace the water as it drains......so an open vent at least the diameter of the sink pipe

Yep....I was hoping the OP would answer my question earlier, about the flow rate when the downflow pipe is disconnected, and if the water ran fine or just trickled, or flowed, then slowed, then burped, then flowed, then burp, then yeah...we need air coming in to the tank...a simple vent or cap that can be loosened when using the system, then closed when traveling, should provide the air in the tank to replace the water that flows into the pipes...assuming, naturally, that there is no obstruction in the tubing.

Yes. They first tried opening a vent on the tank, no change. Then added air pressure to the tank, no change. I hope the OP comes back and tells us what is restricting the outlet plumbing.

Thank you all for your helpful tips! Once my van is out of the mechanics I will go through these steps. After some thought, I suspect a king in the house line or some blockage. I will find out soon

yeah if you pressurize the tank and you still have poor flow/pressure then it's almost for sure you have an obstruction or a kink in the line. Highdesertranger