Is there any reason you can't use an impeller pump for fresh water system?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vannautical engineer

Reaction score
I need a quieter water pump in my van. Part of my water system runs outside of the van, so I have the pump set up to periodically run throughout the night and recirculate water when the temp drops below freezing. But the diaphragm pump I have right now is very loud, and there's no way I can sleep when it kicks on every 20min or so. Is there any reason I can't use an impeller pump like this for my fresh water?

https://www.amazon.com/bayite-BYT-7A006-Heater-Circulation-Discharge/dp/B0196WL55G/
I realize that these pumps don't produce much pressure. But, I don't think I really need any pressure in my system. The max discharge head is 9.8ft, which is taller than my whole van, so I think I'm good there. It's not self priming, but my pump is at the same level as the bottom of my water tank, so I see no issue there. I guess the only thing I see is that that might not be rated for potable water, but that's the only small issue I see.

So, somebody please tell me if there's something I'm overlooking that will cause a problem with using a quiet impeller pump like this for my water system, thanks.

Is there any way to re-route your plumbing or piping to remain inside where its less susceptible to freezing?

It is a non self priming pump. Unless you plan on running it constantly it will be a nuisance.

Like I said in my original post, it is installed at a level that's at the bottom of my water tank. Wouldn't gravity push water into the pump, eliminating the need for it to be self priming? And I mean, once it's initially primed, it would always be full of water until I drained the whole water system.

Like I said in my original post, it is installed at a level that's at the bottom of my water tank. Wouldn't gravity push water into the pump, eliminating the need for it to be self priming? And I mean, once it's initially primed, it would always be full of water until I drained the whole water system.
Go for it. You can always send it back to Amazon if you buy a policy

Ok just an update if anyone comes across this in the future. I got a small impeller pump, but it was a no go. It was actually pretty hard to get primed, despite it being at the low area of the tank. Even once I got it primed, the flow rate from it was absolutely anemic, despite the fact that it was rated at a little over a gallon a minute. It was nowhere near that. There was only a trickle coming out of my sink, which is maybe 3 feet higher than the pump. So anyway, back to the diaphragm pump.

Some pump types can leak lubricating fluid into the liquid it is pumping. The materials they are made with could leach undesirable elements into the liquid that passes through them. If it is not specifically designed for drinking water pass by the “that might work” advice people tend to come up with. Ideas for adapting does not mean a suggested device is fully appropriate for the use for drinking water as there are other critical criteria to be met. This is not just about how high can a pump move liquid or how quiet it is or how cheap it is.

Therefore you should stick to pumps designed for drinking water supply systems. No cutting corners for cost savings, stick to the right type of pump engineered specifically with materials safe for potable water use.

Your ongoing daily health is way more important than saving a few bucks. Safe drinking water matters a lot.

Last edited: