Grand Plan Lightest Cargo Trailer Goal

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadtripsAndCampfires

Reaction score
For the few that have followed another thread I've discovered that my towing capacity is way, way less than I thought it was and the trailer we had planned on getting will not be a good fit.  Because we are going for 2 years we want some space so will choose a 7 x 16' enclosed cargo.  At first we wanted the V-nose but then considered some safety factors and for us the choice will be regular nose, rounded roof edges, barn doors and an RV latch side door.  As many windows as the weight is going to allow depending upon sizes, etc.  A few of them will be small just so I can look out and get a tiny bit of air in that corner.

Rather than build it out in grand style like so many do piling one wood piece along side another we are going to do this as lightweight as possible.  We are long time campers and used to setting up camping style so we want to do that but have it look like it's expensive heavy build.  Inside the cupboard doors will be wire racks well supported and attached to the walls but weighing less than wood and looking like those you find in closets. 

Back up pantry canned goods will be in a plastic bin with lid and a check list on the front telling me what's in it but sitting directly on the floor.  No dust inside getting on the lids to fall into the mix when opened.  The lighter stuff in plastic boxes to keep bugs and mice out will be higher above the counter on the same lightweight shelves behind nice doors.

The fridge/freezer will be chest style and run off solar with a back up generator just in case.  That will be the heaviest item in the trailer. We are headed to Ikea this morning to check a modular sink/counter that is only $140 and totally light weight.  We can secure that to the wall.

I have a fantastic fan, bi-directional 2 speed.  I once put 2 on our Chalet and had to take them off because they were too heavy.  We put one in the Class B and the second one will go in the cargo trailer.

Also at Ikea is a futon type couch bed I want to look at.  I saw someone use one in their cargo van and the idea of having a couch if it's winter and one is stuck inside is really a great idea but we would loose the under the bed bin storage so not sure yet.

Will put the B up for sale and then get the trailer.  My livingroom is already sectioned off as we lay it out using similar shapes to what we want to build out.

This looks like fun and wow, will this be quick compared to what we might have done.

we are going to need a build thread with pics. good luck keep us updated. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
we are going to need a build thread with pics.  good luck keep us updated.  highdesertranger

LOL.  Well, I plan to learn to work the GoPro soon.  I still haven't put up pixs from the Class B restore.  

Here's a link to the sink:  http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S59139689/

We bought it without the faucet because we want to get a different one, they sell it with or without.  Without is $112.

" At first we wanted the V-nose but then considered some safety factors..."   :s

I'm curious as to what these safety concerns are. (Snowmobilers use them quite a bit with ramp doors both front and rear for an easy drive thru.)

I feel the need to let you know that if you're buying a new cargo trailer and there is a weight issue. Make sure you find out what the weight is allowed in the nose of the trailer (might be separate from the tongue weight. I had one. I didn't pay attention to the "warning/notice" decal sticker on the front wall that said the weight there was only rated to like 200 lbs. . I ended up after about a month having the tongue bend on me at the point where it leaves the cabin towards the hitch. This caused me to have to go in with heavy duty angle iron, straighten the tongue out and reinforce it. Ok..my conscience is clear...lol...Good Luck !! I'll be watching for the build updates too. David

Thank you so much for that. I will check that before we buy. I think we are going to go with the Pro series if we can find one like we want and I think the tongue is a heavier construction than some of the lessor models they carry. Yesterday 4 pieces arrived I had ordered 2 short wire racks to put in the back and hold some of the stuff that will be accessed by the barn doors Then I also got 2 Oragami individual tables - TV trays if you will, that fold up out of the way. My living room and dining room have become my imaginary cargo trailer. I like to plan in 3D.

David, I liked your bio.

I think we are going to choose Texas for our domicile because I have 2 sisters there and my mom had a huge family there and I remember a lot of those cousins. We used to travel there for 2 weeks during the summer for visits.

Hi Road trips, looking at this thread after reading the posts on the trailer safety thread and went to weigh my trailer before I got too deep into the build. I bought flooring at Lumber Liquidators, got a real good deal on , but now thinking it is too heavy, should've gone with 2-3mm thick instead of the 12mm I got. So now I'm looking to lighten the load, and I am thinking the same way you are with the kitchen, having a nice look on the outside with some sort of weight saving solution on the inside. I was thinking plastic drawer setups, but your wire rack solution seems attractive also.  Anyone out there have additional suggestions and photos on weight saving cabinetry, both base and overhead wall?  Would love to hear/see them.

OK Big Rock Speaker (I collect rocks by the way). Just for you I will take photos tomorrow of my living room/dining room. I have most of the trailer laid out, still have some issues. I am now going with the 3-way Dometic instead due to it works better in my space and we juice a lot and I want to make life easy. We've used 3-way before with our folding Chalet A-frame and it was great till it wasn't. LOL. Remember to park level and if you don't it eventually costs you.

I might have to do it via video because I have to explain what's there. Hubby likes me to be as specific as possible when asking him to build things and I think best in 3-D so let's just say I use props. The other thing is I've collected parts so a lot of the props are where or close to where they will be when we do the build. But I"ll show you what we are up to maybe it'll give you some ideas.

Thanks, Roadtrips, looking forward to  see it.  
I am also thinking of the  but strongest bed build. I have a queen short mattress, and my wife and I are no light weights... a good quarter ton between us lol.  I plan on 2x4s for the frame, with plenty of cross beam support, but am wondering if there's a lighter alternative that's just as easy to build, I.e.  cutting or welding of metal, etc.?  Again, any suggestions would be welcome.

Metal is not as easy as wood, but can be done in aluminum rectangular tubing, longer edge vertical.

A grate or mesh supported every 18-24" would also prevent the usual condensation buildup between mattress and platform.

Not as cheap as wood of course.

I am going to have to do wood in some spots. Here is what I just wrote on another post and did not mention the change that will be made in the kitchen cupboard and closets going from wire rack to wood. That said, I have two folding metal racks that weigh 19 pounds each that I will build doors around. They give me very sturdy shelves, each one has 3 shelves and takes up almost half the width of the trailer. One will go in the back for the batteries because they will hold them and provide air flow around. I'll vent to the outside and encase the batteries in a box so no fumes in the main house. Here's my recent update:

I will be posting photos I took soon of the layout in my living room and dining room. The oven is going to the truck and I'll most likely only use it outside. I have a 2-burner protane stove I'll cook inside with. This allowed a huge change that got me a bathroom!! I will figure out a shower as well. So, the video I took the 2 days before this change was no longer good. So instead I started taking photos. I am now weighing everything. I am also in the process of drawing the layout out. So I need another day or two and I'll be posting it on the blog because there will be a lot of photos and information. I LOVE THIS LAYOUT!! And I think I will be well below my limits even with food and water.

RoadtripsAndCampfires said:
For the few that have followed another thread I've discovered that my towing capacity is way, way less than I thought it was and the trailer we had planned on getting will not be a good fit.  Because we are going for 2 years we want some space so will choose a 7 x 16' enclosed cargo.  

What was your 1st Choice that a 2500 Chevy Truck not pull??

Grizzly708 said:
What was your 1st Choice that a 2500 Chevy Truck not pull??

Several.  What I discovered was that the weight of the truck, which is a 4x4, must be deducted (about 5100 pounds) from the tow capacity. That's the real starting point.  Then deduct trailer weight and all the other stuff.  The tow vehicle tires have a rating so if you buy a fairly heavy trailer that is about at its max when you fill it with propane, water, batteries, etc. the rest of what you want to bring has to go in the truck.  That weight along with the tongue weight and all the other weights attributed to tow cargo add up to form the weight that the tires on the tow vehicle are carrying.  

Kind of a little-talked-about thing which is why I did not know it until a lot of research on towing capacities.

Also remember we were looking at dual axle trailers.  We could tow anything out there in a single axle.