Gotta be a way

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyric

Reaction score
Hey there,<br><br>Dealing with FL laws here and I have a situation/question.&nbsp; I need to find a way around a possible law that says I can not live in my RV on my land.&nbsp; I'm talking Polk County, Florida, zoned A/RR (agricultural/residential/rural, fyi).<br><br>Any ideas out there?&nbsp; I know where there's a will; there's a way.&nbsp; For instance I believe I heard a person can stay on land for "x" amount of days, then have to move.&nbsp; So what, we could move two feet to the left on our land???<br><br>Lee<br><br>

Sounds like a good loop hole but really interpretation of the law is always up to someone with athority, and it totally varies from person to person. &nbsp;One might say it's ok, one might say no way. I mean try it. Whats the worst they can do?<div><br></div><div>You can fight city hall. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose, but it always sucks either way.</div>

thanks cherry.&nbsp; <br><br>Lee<br><br>

In Albany county, Ny, I was allowed to live in my travel trailer on my own land as a clause of a building permit while I renovated the house. The clause went from April 1 to nov 31. Here in north east Alabama, ( dekalb co.) there is no exclusion or clause as to what you can live in on your own land. There is quite literally a tin and tarpaper shack within 300 yds of a $300 k house. It's kinda crazy, but there are no building code (s) or inspections here either. (Or vehicle inspections for that matter.) so if is up to you as the buyer to do a thorough inspection.
Les

<font class="Apple-style-span" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I live in an area that is real particular about these things. So far I've had no problems but I'm living behind a privacy fence that hides most of my trailer. I also keep a low profile, I've blacked out my windows so they can't see lights at night, I keep everything tidy (grass mowed etc) as to not draw attention from the nuisance officers, and I'm&nbsp;careful&nbsp;going in and out of the camper when&nbsp;neighbours&nbsp;are&nbsp;around. &nbsp;&nbsp;</font><div><font class="Apple-style-span" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Years ago I had a van parked in front of my house that a&nbsp;neighbour&nbsp;didn't like and since they had a&nbsp;friend&nbsp;on the city council they actually made an ordinance that no&nbsp;vehical&nbsp;could sit on a city street for more than 24 hrs without moving. I just moved it back and forth half a car length and was good (that's what nuisance officer told me to do).</font></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; "><br></span></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">If you can, get&nbsp;access&nbsp;to the city codes. Where I live for instance, all trailers have to be parked on a drive but it can be gravel.That could become an issue if you have to move it every so often.</font></div>

"<span id="post_message_1270382254">Sent ya a pm as not to hijack a thread."<br><br>Thank you, Cherry, as we really are looking forward to dialogue (relative to the topic) and rushed in today to read them.<br><br>Again, thanks for your consideration.<br><br>Lee<br></span>

<FONT size=3>You say "possible" law?&nbsp; Contact the zoning authority and get the correct answer first _ you may not have a problem.&nbsp;Cities are normally a lot more restrictive than counties. &nbsp;Also, I find if I appeal to an authorities expertise, they're generally happy to prove their knowledge by coming up with ways to assist you. I went to get a building permit for a carport, and the inspector practically redesigned it with me. And this was after he caught me starting to build it without a permit lol. He checked my plans and offered suggestions to make the build easier and slightly cheaper.</FONT><br><FONT size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<br><A href="http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=11435&amp;stateID=9&amp;statename=Florida" target=_blank>http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=11435&amp;stateID=9&amp;statename=Florida</A><br><br>Seems like it ca be done if you&nbsp; have a trailer, but not a motor coach.<br>

Thanks Seraphim and 4 x 4.&nbsp; I'm going to show this link to Lee.<br><br>Lyric<br><br>

I'd say just go ahead and do it.<div>I mean, whose going to find out, anyway? Will they check on you in the middle of the night in your own back yard?</div><div>Out here in Tejas, we do what we want in our own land... I guess that's why we also carry weapons of our own... Nobody messes with Texas.</div>

I don't know... Perry looked like a wuss when Romney man-handled him yesterday... &nbsp;

Talk with your zoning administrator and ask "Hypothetical" questions to get the answers that apply to your area and situation.<br>After 40+ years in the building trades I have dealt with "gestapo" mentality and "real folks" in positions of "power", I have always found it advantageous to "know thine enemy" before proceeding. The majority of people are doing their job with a conscience and have their ego in check....others not so much.<br>If you are in a populated area there is a better chance of just keeping a low profile and doing as you want as long as it doesn't impact anyone in a way that leads them to report you. Small towns =everybody knows, so you "have" to be dealt with.<br>I agree with Seraphim - find the facts before you panic. I, personally, would , most likely either "push the limits of the law" or move to where the law better fit my beliefs.<br><br><br>

<P>Thanks to all who replied and attached links. This is very helpful info for many of us.</P>

I mean, whose going to find out, anyway? Will they check on you in the middle of the night in your own back yard?
<br><br>Generally, the biggest issue is neighbors: some well meaning others plain nosey. They contact the PD or zoning over an issue real or perceived. Until recently we had a zoning inspector who was a bull-terrier when she got her teeth into an issue: basically a nice and fair minded person, but tenacious. A lot of residents rejoiced when she retired lol.<br><br>