Ducky, a VW Bus

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You said that the CB is the same age as the bus? That won't cut it, they changed the CB system a few years ago. The old units need to be replaced with an up to date unit to meet the current standards.

maki2 said:
You said that the CB is the same age as the bus?  That won't cut it, they changed the CB system a few years ago. The old units need to be replaced with an up to date unit to meet the current standards.
Did they do more than add channels?  I still use an old one.

B and C said:
Did they do more than add channels?  I still use an old one.

It works fine up to 23, obviously cannot get the other 17 channels. 3, 11, 19, 21 are active frequently. I get great signal reports from others.

highdesertranger said:
is that an Alpine 2 knob stereo? does it work? I want it, LOL. highdesertranger

LOL, Audiovox. It does work, even the cassette deck, though it needs a cleaning and lube, drags a little. I expect eventually the belt will give up the ghost.

[font=Roboto, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]ot some more done before the skies opened up with some very much needed rain. Before I started I had to run to the dump, while there I checked out the freecycle tent, poking through a box of misc junk, I saw something g that didn’t belong in with the fondue pot and nasty looking cutlery.... I now finally have a fan screen and timing scale. Free, gotta love it [/font]
[font=Roboto, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]
icon_smile.gif
[/font]

2057754.jpg
[/font]

[font=Roboto, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Wrapped up the solar install. Wired up the passthrough connector for the panel, added a master cutoff switch that kills the battery ground on the house system so I can just toss the switch instead of dealing with disconnection it when it is going to be sitting for a while. Put in tray, hold down, and 110AH FLA marine battery that I got on sale last week, and got controller mounted and wired.[/font]

2057752.jpg
[/font]

[font=Roboto, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Plugged in the panel, put in a bright spot (partially cloudy day), and it works:), the battery came off the charger last night so sitting at a healthy 12.7v. Still need to get it programmed more for my preferences.[/font]

2057751.jpg
[/font]

2057753.jpg
[/font]

[font=Roboto, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Put shunts on both the house and bus electrical systems, ran the cables, ran thermocouple extension for CHT since I was already pulling wire back to front, and cobbled up a center stack out a scrap of barn board, hit it with some poly, and mounted it to hold the meters. I put DTDP switches inline with both ammeters, that way I can see both pull and push just by reversing polarity of the reference leads. CHT all set now too. Put in two other DTDP switches for later use while at it. Now know my 2 ham radio pulls 8.8a when transmitting, and the starter pulls 104 when cranking [/font]
icon_smile.gif
[/font]

2057749.jpg
[/font]

2057748.jpg
[/font]

[font=Roboto, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]And while I had the kick panels off, I rebuilt the door switch for the dome light and wired in a footwell LED on the passenger side, it can also be activated on demand by a switch next to the defroster knob.[/font]

2057750.jpg
[/font]

what amazes me is you actually had a cassette tape to try out the deck. LOL what was it come on you can tell? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
what amazes me is you actually had a cassette tape to try out the deck.  LOL  what was it come on you can tell?  highdesertranger
First, need to fix the pics, dunno why not showing :(
To answer your question, good ol' Canadian rock n roll
Triumph - Sport of Kings :)

IMG_4207.JPG

Missing pics since can't edit the previous post:

2057754.jpg

2057753.jpg

2057752.jpg

2057751.jpg

2057749.jpg

2057748.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4207.JPG
    IMG_4207.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 6
  • 2057748.jpg
    2057748.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 2057749.jpg
    2057749.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 2057751.jpg
    2057751.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 2057752.jpg
    2057752.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 2057753.jpg
    2057753.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 2057754.jpg
    2057754.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 6
Ducky the bus looks great. geeze you did a good resto.
Still plenty of surfies getting around Oz in them.

Very nicely done!

Once you're both happily camping you'll be glad that you put all that work into the refurbishment and build out.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Arrived today but can't get them mounted where I bought them so I'll do it myself and then take them to VIP to get balanced. Achilles Desert Hawk XMT 27/8.5R14. I like the look of them, hope they look good on the bus.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
2066524.jpg
[/font]

2066525.jpg
[/font]

I bought some Super Swampers and hand mounted them the other day. They had a paint dot on the side wall that I aligned up with the tire valve when I mounted them on my new wheels and got no vibration going down the road, maybe I’m just lucky or maybe the urban legend is true.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I took them to another tire shop and got them done this morning.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Before:[/font]

2067126.jpg
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]After:[/font]

2067127.jpg
[/font]

2067131.jpg
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Though I think I like it better with the hubcaps on. Also going to bump the rear up a tiny bit on this side, has to go up about an inch on the driver's side to even out, but I'll wait until I get my new shocks before I do that job.[/font]

2067130.jpg
[/font]

2067128.jpg
[/font]

2067129.jpg
[/font]

Looks like you’re really gonna get stuck good now you have tires that can dig! I used to love showing up the rail buggy guys going places you should never go with my gear reduction boxes squatting the rear down under power, cut wheel wells, ten inch wide spoke wheels and Desert Dog tires aired down. My split window had swing side doors once I got a 1971 with a slider side door they had to go. Some restorer really hates me for that!

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lighting done, windshield in, tuned, torsions cranked to 25.5 degrees out back, just the right lift I think. Cannot wait time get tagged and rolling[/font]

2078330.jpg
2078333.jpg
2078335.jpg
2078337.jpg
2085777.jpg
2086143.jpg
2086145.jpg

Have had this since 1974. Pulled it out of storage, cleaned it up, and it fired off immediately. Gotta love simple, reliable pieces of equipment. 

2085776.jpg

Attachments

• 2078330.jpg
    2078330.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 2078333.jpg
    2078333.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 2078335.jpg
    2078335.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 2078337.jpg
    2078337.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 2085776.jpg
    2085776.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 2085777.jpg
    2085777.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 2086143.jpg
    2086143.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 2086145.jpg
    2086145.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 4
highdesertranger said:
are you going to cook inside with a white gas stove? highdesertranger

Nope. No open flame in the bus, even with the huge sliding window right behind it, there's not enough headspace for me to feel comfortable cooking in it between the curtains and the vinyl headliner. It will live under the bed and taken outside as needed.

Plus... SMELLS. Old VW smells "unique" enough as it is, don't need to add old food to it :)

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Checked a few more things off my list while waiting for ME DMV to process my tags. Replaced section of fuel sender wire that got hosed when I had the fire, now know how much gas I have. Helpful [/font]
icon_smile.gif
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. Wired up some LED marker lights in the rear, cleaned up some grounds while back there. Mounted them higher than stock For better visibility.[/font]

2088076.jpg
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hooked up the halos as DRL, repurposed the rear defroster switch To turn on/off. The lights i bought are capable of integrating with the turn signals so while I had everything apart, hooked those up, too.[/font]

[video=youtube]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Link[/font]

I hate to use the d-word ("done") but I think I have my list ticked off. Now to just get out there, have some quiet, remote fun, and figure out what I need\don't need to change.

What is it about a VW bus that just gets in my blood and I got to have one. I had one but I had a wife who hated it because it was too cold. Well I’m content with what I’ve got but I love your bus. Isn’t it neat how every VW bus driver waves at each other and even the public can’t help but look. Being a member of the old order brethren having long beard and I took my best friend also with a long beard down to Delaware on the trip a few years ago in that bus and you should have seen the looks we got “11 long hair friends Jesus in a chartreuse micro bus”. My wife wouldn’t let me paint flowers on the side of it darn. Maybe we got more attention because the starter was broke and we had to pop the clutch you should’ve seen us running And pushing on those level streets down by the beach where there’s no hills to park it on. Oh I loved that bus. God bless the nomads especially those in the VWs.