Good Sam's or Escapees Your Experience

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RV-Hopeful

Reaction score
As an over 60 single female with some disabilities who is moving toward this lifestyle, I am looking for others experiences with one or both of these clubs. The yearly fee doesn't seem to bad on either or both.

Any info is appreciated !

Thanks so much!

I'm a Lifetime Member of "Good Sams" -nothing good to say anymore / they do NOT support single people...

I belong to both and have for some time, Good Sam for probably 30 years now. If I had to choose just one, it would be the Escapees as they offer more of a variety of benefits. I'm not sure what you are really looking for, so I advise you to look carefully at the websites and see what matches best what your situation will be. I have the materials for both so if you have other questions, I can try to help you decide what the best match would be.

sparky1 said:
I'm a Lifetime Member of "Good Sams"  -nothing good to say anymore  / they do NOT support single people...

That's great to know!  Thanks.

Snow Gypsy said:
I belong to both and have for some time, Good Sam for probably 30 years now.  If I had to choose just one, it would be the Escapees as they offer more of a variety of benefits.  I'm not sure what you are really looking for, so I advise you to look carefully at the websites and see what matches best what your situation will be.  I have the materials for both so if you have other questions, I can try to help you decide what the best match would be.

What I'm looking for is assistance if I have a breakdown (not personal one! chuckle btdt) out in the middle of nowhere, who to call.  I guess the AAA but it seems that Good Sam and Escapees also offer discounts for RVers, but maybe not vanners? However, I do plan to do as much boondocking as I can but having the comfort of knowing help would be forthcoming would be nice.  I'm a 1.5 yrs out from hitting the road and trying to get all my ducks in a row ... ha, if only!  Anyway, thanks ... I'll just look at their website a little more thoroughly.

I've had both.
Escapees if my favorite.
I always feel like family when going to one of their parks. (Expect lots of hugs).
A good forum , and other activities and benefits are available too.

Good Sam ok too especially if you like getting mail offers.

It's a personal preference just like TT , RV or Van .....

There are additional fees for the roadside assistance service for both Escapees and Good Sam in addition to the membership fee. Read policies before you sign up and make sure you understand exactly what is covered. Roughly, it runs just under $100.00 a year for Good Sam which we have right now.

Look though at the Escapees and where they have parks that allow dry camping since that could be helpful although, some require that you be self-contained and some are "picky" about pets. Escapees has lots that you can buy and co-op parks but the costs are really expensive in my opinion.

Most of the time, I'm not sure either are really worth the yearly membership fee unless you are using certain services or using campgrounds in the areas where they offer discounts.

I just have a road service on my insurance.  About $1.50 a month.

GotSmart said:
I just have a road service on my insurance.  About $1.50 a month.

Well, there you have it!  Sounds like something to add to my every growing list ... appreciate the feedback ya'll.

We have road service on our insurance too. I'm not sure of the cost without looking at the papers but I know it's inexpensive. I've heard of people waiting for a long time on the side of the road before getting service with either AAA or Good Sam but we've been very satisfied with the service from our insurance company - Foremost - which we have because they insure fulltime RVers.

AAA may work if you have a van, but they are NOT a good choice if you have an RV or pull a Travel Trailer, or anything unconventional like a converted school bus or box truck.  The same may apply to any service underwritten by your insurance company.  Read the fine print carefully

Also, you should be aware that NONE of the towing/breakdown services cover you if you are back in the boondocks, only when you are on or just off public roads.

Lots of good info here:

Regards
John

We had the inexpensive add on with our auto insurance but it only covered towing for a shorter distance and did not cover the trailer. There are additional services like flat tire service, emergency fuel/fluids, lost key/lock out, etc. that would be very helpful with these other policies at least for me. The one time we used Good Sam, the water pump went out on a Class C in the panhandle. Good Sam operator located someone for us for the tow and suggested a shop they rated "reputable" and we were pleased with how it went. We had everything gone over before the trip but the water pump wasn't something that could be predicted.

Depends on what you are looking for.  I belong to both and occasionally use the discount parks. The main thing I like about Escapees is their co-op parks, where you can either camp with full hookups for $12-16 or dry camp for $5 and use the facilities, which are always very nice. Their laundries are very reasonably priced.  While I only use them occasionally, the savings is well worth my annual fee.

bindi&us said:
For roadside assistance look into CoachNet.

If you're driving a van, some insurance companies offer a cheap towing plan, I think I'm paying an additional $39/yr for towing.

I HAVE A 1991 4X4 XLT FORD RANGER PICK UP AND A 1997 VIKING POP UP TRAILER...WITH GEICO LIABILITY PLUS MY STATES REQUIREMENTS AND ROADSIDE/LOCKOUT SERVICE IT  RUNS  ABOUT $45 A MO.  I WAS TOLD WHEN I ADDED THE VIKING THAT THEY WOULD DISPATCH 2 WRECKERS IF NEEDED AND COVER MOTEL EXP. WHEN APPROPRIATE   THE "ROADSIDE SERVICE IS ONLY COSTING ME ABOUT $40 A YEAR AND WITH A 25YR OLD TRUCK/200k+MILES  I 'VE REALLY USED IT!      DOES ANYONE KNOW IF "LONERS ON WHEELS" IS STILL ACTIVE?     HAPPY TRAILS.....TJB

Optimistic Paranoid said:
This is worth reading:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/05/roadside-assistance-beware-the-gaps/index.htm

Apparently, if you use your insurance plan too much, it can cause your insurance rates to go up.

Regards
John
[/quo

If you use the roadside assistance with GEICO, it counts as a claim, like an accident would. Make any other kind of claim and your insurance goes WAY up. Ask me how I know. I will therefore get other coverage before I get on the road.

If the OP intended this thread to be about roadside assistance, the title should be changed. While Good Sam does offer a roadside assistance insurance, it is not part of membership. And Escapees does not offer this feature. They do offer camping discounts and mailing services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts