Good Sam's or Escapees Your Experience

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mockturtle said:
If the OP intended this thread to be about roadside assistance, the title should be changed. 
I did sorta want others experience of Good Sam's and Escapees in general.  Someone responded and wanted to know what type of information I wanted re" these two entities, so I clarified.

mockturtle said:
If the OP intended this thread to be about roadside assistance, the title should be changed.  While Good Sam does offer a roadside assistance insurance, it is not part of membership.  And Escapees does not offer this feature.  They do offer camping discounts and mailing services.

I actually did want other information regarding Good Sams and Escapees, peoples experience with them.  While wanting to know about road side assistance as well.  Sorry if I didn't title it correctly.  There's always an ooppps I guess.

Thanks for all the information everyone has given of their experiences from road side assistance to discounts at camp grounds, etc. 
:)

Not long after I got my extended Dodge 3500 van and while my brother-in-law was still doing some engine work on it, he had driven it to the auto parts store. It shut down (later we learned it had to do with the lock-down for the wheel chair lift which was no longer in the former transit van).

Anyway, I still had my car and had had AAA roadside assistance for years and called them. It is supposed to cover whatever vehicle I am driving. When the tow truck came, he said he'd need to get the flatbed to transport my rig. And he called AAA back to give the the info on the gross vehicle weight. Well, seems that there is a weight limit on the AAA I had. No towing would be covered. Imagine how quickly I dropped AAA.

As mentioned earlier in this post and in numerous other discussions on this forum, none of the companies cover all the costs if you have to get towed from a true boondocking area. Some won't go but a few miles off of actual pavement, etc.

Another RVer before here mentioned checking out CoachNet as the best, so I will look into that service before I head out again in late spring.

I've had Good Sam ERS for about twenty years now and have used it a few times with good results. But I have also heard good things about CoachNet.

Really great info re AAA ... Yea, wasn't really thinking about boondocking breakdown, more between while on roads. Hadn't gotten far enough in my thoughts re boondocking breakdown chuckle ... Just trying to see which of the RV clubs provide the most bang for the buck as I expect to stay in a few paid places along the way. Like to look for any discounts, ers, etc.

We've covered the roadside service area pretty well, does anyone have any other thoughts about which is the better Club Escapee or Good Sams?

If you are/were a member, what did you like and what did you dislike?
Bob

Good sams is great if you want lots of junk mail, but they don't have a clue about boondocking or fulltiming. 10% off on many RV parks, and better flying j/pilot discounts with their rvplus charge card.

I've never joint escapees, but they seem to be more my style.

FMCA is motorhomes only, and didn't fit my lifestyle. Does give a slight discount on coachnet.

Coachnet has good roadside assistance.

Good point Turtle ;)
The club is more along the lines of a singles support group. They caravan and camp together a lot.

Escapees was my family before I found the CRVL tribe.
I still and always will have many good friends that I met in their parks and on their forums.
They offer a discount for Coach Net.
Have a good mail forwarding service and have state domicile residence in Texas and Florida.
They also monitor new laws that would affect fulltime wheel dwellers and contact lawmakers to try to get them to consider us as actual people.

I guess they are now my in laws as I really like the people here.

mockturtle said:
Just curious:  Why would a loner want to join a club? :huh:

Simple!!!

So you can meet up with others and not spend your life bored to death by yourself in the middle of nowhere.

Just like there is a "tribe" that gathers on here, except in a much grander size and style, with gatherings all over the country, all year long.  One could travel between them almost constantly.  The down side is that many groups prefer to stay in organized campgrounds where you need to pay fees to camp, but for most people who choose to live on wheels this is quite normal.  There are groups that prefer free camping too.

I am pseudo associated with well over 50 different camping clubs, because when you're invited to be either a free or paid speaker, it usually includes a free lifetime membership, especially if you are not already a member.  Over the years I have given classes at many of them on one subject or another.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Simple!!!

So you can meet up with others and not spend your life bored to death by yourself in the middle of nowhere.

I would respectfully submit that if you prefer the company of others and feel lonely when alone, you are not a loner.  The definition of loner is preferring to be alone.  Being a self diagnosed loner, I have spent up to three weeks 'in the middle of nowhere' (the longest I could go without resupplying) without once being bored to death.  In fact, when I am in a group I am more likely to be bored.

-- Spiff

MockTurtle the voice of reason. that was an excellent point. I also agree with the Spaceman. I will also add if you are going to get bored to death by going out on your own in the middle of nowhere. why would you do it? highdesertranger

RV-Hopeful said:
I actually did want other information regarding Good Sams and Escapees, peoples experience with them.  While wanting to know about road side assistance as well.  Sorry if I didn't title it correctly.  There's always an ooppps I guess.

Thanks for all the information everyone has given of their experiences from road side assistance to discounts at camp grounds, etc. 
:)

i think you did fine........it's like having a conversation..... we have no control or foreknowledge of what someone else  is going to say  [thanks to the powers that be]...... which i think makes a good exchange of info.& ideas..........sometimes we may get a little  'off track' however  usually before the train is derailed we are guided back to the subject at hand...... sometimes graciously & sometimes not so much.   i have had Geico coverage for 14yrs, in 4 states and on numerous vehicles...this is the first time i've heard roadside service described as a 'claim' or that my premium would be increased....i'll call Geico shortly......Good luck with your future pursuits and happy trails    :)   TJB &  QUEENIE  [untrained attack chiquaqua]

i am new to this site and it seems to me that at times there are some extremely rude and possibly hurtful replies that are also unneeded to what some people say in their posts........ i ask myself why?.......  now i do have a temper and....    :angel:   i'm no angel by a long shot but i do redneckanize when i've been rude/mean-sprited and apologize.....twice just this week.....now i've probably said the wrong thing at the wrong time in the wrong place... and someone  may start taking pot shots at me.....go ahead 'cuz when you're pickin' on me you're leavin' someone else alone....PEACE    TJB

I just read a post on that boondocking site (linked in another post on here) that Good Sams, and others, were trying to get ordinances passed to prevent people from boondocking, thereby keeping campgrounds happier. I'd do more research before giving Good Sams any money.

lterry said:
I just read a post on that boondocking site (linked in another post on here) that Good Sams, and others, were trying to get ordinances passed to prevent people from boondocking, thereby keeping campgrounds happier. I'd do more research before giving Good Sams any money.

Good to know!  Thanks so much!! I do plan to boondock as much as possible while traveling, but have some family on east coast and thought that having discounts at campgrounds would be very helpful as there are few boondocking areas in the east (or so I've heard here) ... 

Definitely would boycott an entity that would try to pass such ordinances!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts