Good morning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my opolar 9" usb fans - I have two of them.
https://www.amazon.com/OPOLAR-Powered-Battery-Enhanced-Personal/dp/B07F3WLZ4K

Probably the same as what Jacqueg linked to - but my fans are pink. It is getting warm here and I've been running them every afternoon. They charge easily off the van, when I am driving.

Eastern WA ... not far from where I was living - in Post Falls, Idaho.. I left there in October.

The mister fan is made by Arctic and sold by Home Depot. It comes with a battery and charger but it looks just like the Ryobi fan (except the color, it is white/blue) with a mister system that is made to sit on a 5 gallon bucket that you fill with water. It has a high and low setting and as with all misters it works better with lots of ventilation, in fact it cools pretty well sitting outside pointing in the door and can get things wet so be forewarned. I use it outside in the shade on over 100 degree days and it really makes a difference. Last one I bought was around $80 to $90 but they do sometimes go on sale for less. It uses about a gallon of water every hour or so on high but I usually run it on low. The battery it comes with lasts about 3 or 4 hours but with the Ryobi large battery I can run it 8 to 10 hours at a time.

bullfrog said:
The mister fan is made by Arctic and sold by Home Depot. It comes with a battery and charger but it looks just like the Ryobi fan (except the color, it is white/blue) with a mister system that is made to sit on a 5 gallon bucket that you fill with water.  It has a high and low setting and as with all misters it works better with lots of ventilation, in fact it cools pretty well sitting outside pointing in the door and can get things wet so be forewarned.  I use it outside in the shade on over 100 degree days and it really makes a difference.  Last one I bought was around $80 to $90 but they do sometimes go on sale for less.  It uses about a gallon of water every hour or so on high but I usually run it on low.  The battery it comes with lasts about 3 or 4 hours but with the Ryobi large battery I can run it 8 to 10 hours at a time.
Sounds fantastic! I haven't even turned on my house AC yet and I am sweltering. Another luxury to add to the mix... My lack of certain luxuries will need to learn to derive from nature.. park near a stream so I can jump in it mountain man style! Do what soo many folks do and head to higher climes... I saw a video of a fellow who made a "swamp" cooler running off his solar

Looks great. Just be sure to thoroughly wash the toilet bucket before using as a swamp cooler.

I attempted the DIY cooler and wasn't impressed, at least with the mister you get cool, but also a little wet sometimes!

bullfrog said:
I attempted the DIY cooler and wasn't impressed, at least with the mister you get cool, but also a little wet sometimes!
 A little wet ?..lol.. I need a cleaning anyhow... the misting system that doubles as a shower... sounds ideal, I like multipurpose items!

3rd night in van was a bit better. I think the lack of sleep is catching up with me and I am nodding off much sooner.  I also am getting used to falling between the cushions and sleeping with my hip bone on the hinges.. NOT!

I was inspired while dragging myself out of the canyon formed between the cushions at about 330am... Velcro did not work at all... and heavily hand stitching is not going to work for long and will take forever to do. So today I am going to cut strips of patches and attach that way?

I remember as a kid patches were strong and durable. When one was put on a pair of jeans it stayed put. I have aged quite a bit and haven't had a patch on anything in many years.. I am hoping they are still durable.

I also picked up a couple usb fans from Wally today... I hope those give me some temporary relief.. The van was absolutely disgusting last nite..I keep a pretty hi level of cleanliness..but good lord... a sweaty man in a metal box with no air movement... umm.. are you getting the visual? I am so thankful I dont have much chest/body hair..

I am really enjoying it so far despite the "inconveniences". I am so very thankful I am allowed the opportunity to work out the kinks with the help of you all here on the forums before hitting the road.

Put some non skid under the rug webbing or non skid shelf liner under the cushions. That makes a big different in keeping them from shifting position. You can also put a webbing strap around the cushions that want to come apart.

There are many different ways to solve such problems.

travelaround said:
 ... not far from where I was living - in Post Falls, Idaho.. I left there in October.
My question: whyever would you leave Post Falls Idaho? You are the first person I have heard of who left Post Falls, I have mostly heard of PF as a destination and not a departure point.

Course you don't have to answer that. If you're going to snow me just say something like "deep snow."
-crofter

I ended up staying home today instead of going on the day trip to a small town. I had an upset tummy last night so did not feel like sitting in a car for a long drive. Turned out to be a good decision not to go. First thing that happened was a violent thunderstorm moved right up the I-5 corridor with heavy rains for quite a few hours. Then this afternoon the protest in downtown Seattle moved onto I-5 and shut it down. Then some protestors chose to use violence and the whole city of Seattle is now on a 5pm to 5am curfew but people are allowed to go to work if they need to. The civic disaster phone alert system sounded notifying me of the curfew. First time I have ever had one of those types of alerts happen. It must be based on the phone's geographic location because my friend who was still south of Seattle did not get that notification even though we share the same phone account. Heavy rain just started again, that should very literally dampen down the protesting, looting and the fires. Tonight that unusually heavy rain in Seattle is the cities very best riot control measure.

My friend is still working his way back home from the day tip to Vader, WA. He is presently bypassing downtown Seattle on the old highway 99 since I-5 is still shut in both directions. You just never know what a day will bring and this year has certainly been full of unexpected happenings. But I am glad I stayed at home today enjoying a lazy day, reading a good book and taking a few naps.

maki2 said:
Put some non skid under the rug webbing or non skid shelf liner under the cushions. That makes a big different in keeping them from shifting position. You can also put a webbing strap around the cushions that want to come apart.

There are many different ways to solve such problems.
I didn't even think of the slip stop webbing underneath. Thank you!

I just finished a moment ago ironing on some patch strips to see how that works for tonight.  I am not sure of the longevity for these patches to hold. But with a few other tips offered here I think it will all work out. Sleeping on the knifes edge with one eye open is not ideal.  I can't imagine having to work the bugs out on the fly.  I see how it could be if having to hit the road unprepared and unaware.

I am thankful I have the time for a pre-shakedown cruise.

crofter said:
My question: whyever would you leave Post Falls Idaho? You are the first person I have heard of who left Post Falls, I have mostly heard of PF as a destination and not a departure point.

Course you don't have to answer that. If you're going to snow me just say something like "deep snow."
-crofter
I live very close to PF and work there often. The natural beauty is outstanding... the politics are lousy and hordes of tourists swarm the community.

Sand Point is a bit more calm and relaxed.. but the politic is the same. Idaho still has 7.35 an hour min wage... if that tells you anything..and prices are climbing faster than the spider running up my wall.

The Spokane, PF, CDA corridor is horrible.. imHo. 

I have fun on visits to that area.. Silverwood is always a treat for families and friends.

Oh yea.. and there is deep snow! Plenty of it.

I have always used cheap Walmart sleeping bags to make a pillow top type cover or shell for my foam mattress. On the wider ones I get two identical bags and zip the bags to each other then just a few stitches to make sure the zippers don't unzip and the foam stays in place till I'm ready to replace them when they get dirty or worn. Maybe by enclosing them in a tight fitting bag you can keep the cushions in place better.

crofter said:

I'm a native Californian. I lived here from birth to age 61. I had it on my bucket list to someday live out of state. I moved to North Idaho alone and got a pretty nice apartment, but also was having a hard time financially and had no car for three and a half years... until 2017. I became a Christian 2 weeks after arriving there in 2013. It was a great experience in some ways but I can't imagine why anyone would think of it as a "destination" . . . I was essentially freaking out when I got there and had no car and there was a lot more traffic than I was used to... and noise. Keep in mind, I spent 13 years before that in the Klamath River Valley. I was used to being in a very small town in the middle of a large national forest... 70 miles from the nearest larger town of 7000 people.

I think I never fully adjusted to Post Falls. It is on a prairie. From where I lived I could see the Selkirk Mountains to the north and the Bitterroot Mountains (Rockies) to the east. But I was on a prairie and when I went out walking there were lots of semis as I lived near two truck stops. Never a calm, pretty place for walking... at least for the three and a half years I had no car. When I got my van, I headed back to the Klamath River Valley in Northern California. I wasn't going to stay here but was blessed with this property and now am glad I'm here, back in my home state in my little town in the middle of a big forest 70 miles from the Interstate.

There's a frog in my bathroom. Then he jumped and I don't know where he is. Sheesh. I don't know how he got in or how long he's been there. He's the same color as the hallway rug ... and I hope I don't step on him.

This has been a strange day. I got out of my van this morning and there was a herd of deer in my front yard. They jumped the fence when they saw me - around 6:30 to 7 am... later this morning I was sitting in my dining room and there was a lightning strike extremely close to me... very, very loud and the place shook a little. Frightening! Heavy rain. I checked out my windows but didn't see anything scorched, so it wasn't in my yard.

travelaround said:
There's a frog in my bathroom. Then he jumped and I don't know where he is. Sheesh. I don't know how he got in or how long he's been there. He's the same color as the hallway rug ... and I hope I don't step on him.
 Is that a new barrette? How fashionable of you.

My experience is similar as yours to the PF region. Not having a car would be very difficult there.

I have looked in Klamath county Or for land it is one of the few places in the Northwest that I can sort of afford. That part of Cali would be great. I would welcome the mild climate but much of the land I saw seemed to be well out of my price.

4 nites in prep mode...The patch material strips I put on the cushions worked!.. at least for now. I will still need to incorporate the additional tips you all have shared. I wasn't able to give a fair movement test as I was afraid of it separating and having another night in the canyons.

I definitely hope that folks that see only the glamorous side to vanlife do a test run.. beyond just weekend camping.  I haven't barely scratched the surface and I see how many little things add up. I noticed this morning/afternoon that the very act of stretching after waking is limited. It is one of the first acts of the day since birth and to suddenly have that act constrained is significant to our "normal" selves. By the end of the week I will be using the "facilities" in the van and cooking. A big learnin is coming my way..

LOL how many will be surprised if I make it past that week??!!

At about 230am I got to enjoy one of the thrilling moments however, a massive thunderstorm blew directly over head. It had everything, van shaking thunder, winds that could knock a cow over, rain so thick and heavy I couldn't even hear the music on the loudest setting,  flashes of lightning that illuminated the interior of the van simply by seeping in through the poorly hung black out curtains.

I think some good trade offs are being made each day that passes.

Fortunately my bed is width wise so the cushions can't shift apart from each other as there are walls on 3 sides of the bed. Having a head and foot board on your bed will help keep those cushions together. You can probably cobble something together for your bed to create those structures from some Home Depot materials.

Better weather ahead, I guess I will get back to work tomorrow on the exterior. This evening if I can kick myself into gear I might get tools and materials better organized. I have been very lazy the last few days.

Not sleepy but wanted to get something done in the way of downsizing so I started scanning in some photos and documents so I can convert physical objects into tiny byte sized bits.
68 VW VAN web.jpg
One of the photos is my first van, a 1968 VW bus. This photo is from 1984, towards the west end of the road along the rouge river in Oregon. I was doing a road trip from Seattle to San Antonio to work at a job in SA while on layoff at Boeing. By the time I purchased this van it had passed through several people who as it turned out were not as mechanically inclined as they thought. I redid the interior of it, new headliner, made curtains for it, added insulation, recovered all the interior panels, added some Boeing aircraft sound proofing under the new carpet I put in, including  over the engine compartment. Fortunately I had skills with tools and also experience with aircraft interiors as well as skills with sewing in my 20s and was pretty good at it by my early 30s when I was working on this van. But I was not a car mechanic although I had helped on a brake job and could tune up a car.

It looked good outside, it looked good inside after my renovations but it was one of those trips where things kept failing on me. Which of course being unemployed was quickly draining my savings. I certainly did not know a lot about vehicles back but quickly learned some lessons the hard way. I had lots of mechanical issues on that trip going to San Antonio and also on the way back. The biggest issue was having to get the engine rebuilt in the middle of nowhere Idaho. In the long run the worst vehicle I ever owned but it did not stop me from liking traveling in a van. I had spent all of my 20s doing car camping trips in Alaska and WA sate so I was not new to it.

Attachments

• 68 VW VAN web.jpg
    68 VW VAN web.jpg
    61 KB
I need some get focused on my project pills. Too much going on in the local news. I normally avoid watching the news but this is a very weird year with stuff I need too know about going through constant changes.

But I am going to have 3 days in a row of OK but not delightful weather so I want focus. I guess I will just have to unplug other than checking my tablet to keep an eye on my business stuff.

Latest posts