Good morning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
travelaround said:
Ha... the pack rat problem. I've been digging out from under for years. Doing pretty good right now though except for the unfortunate 9x5 storage space I have to deal with in Idaho someday. Soon, I hope.

Today... finished painting the closet except for the ceiling. I'll deal with that at a later date when I figure out how I want to do it. I'll start on bedroom walls in a few days. I'm feeling hopeful. This mobile home has so many potential projects I didn't know where to start... the opportunities are massive. Then I realized, just one thing at a time.
Just make it look good enough for now that your skin doesn't crawl when walking into any space within it. Also of course safety and health items which are the highest priority on the list.

Yeah.. my skin is crawling less these days as I'm getting used to it. A lot of properties in this town are somewhat derelict... having mainly been built to house people working in the mill back when that was open. I think it closed in 1995. I feel so good about the clean and painted closet, it is like a very small first step toward feeling like I can get a handle on all this, one small step at a time.

Well... Good Morning  everyone!

Last nite was my first to sleep in the van. It is almost ready for the road and so I will be practicing for the next few weeks to work out the kinks.

I was super excited, felt like a big adventure. Weather was great but a little chilly and had to grab an extra blanket. It will take me a little bit to adjust to a 4ft wide bed. My in house bed is 80 inch wide.. I felt like I  was on an edge all nite.... I will be redefining the meaning of sprawl out.

A couple things to add to list...a cushioned foot stool with wheels to stretch out while sitting and wheeling about, screens to keep the visitors I had out. I don't much mind spiders in the corner but the flying critters is where I draw the line. 3a tap led lights are garbage. I need to get the strip lighting installed and use my solar bank to run. Battery powered  lights could get super expensive.  Unfortunately I  didn't make my  cushions with much awareness.. and now need to get velcro or something so when they are in bed mode i don't fall between the crevices. I could have made just 4 cushions.. one for each bench(2) and one for each back (2)..  instead I was brainless and made 8 cushions total...lol... I made 2 individual for each bench and back.... LOLOLOLOl .

Anyhow.. we will see what little adjustments that need to be made after tonight. 87 degrees at 730pm... its gonna be plenty warm tonight I think.

What little things did you need to adjust after your first couple nites?

It has been said many times a good bed which gives a good night's sleep is the most important consideration in a build. A comfortable place to sit and a way to poop and pee are a close 2nd and 3rd but both can be done outside much easier than sleeping undisturbed in a comfortable bed out of the elements.

bullfrog said:
It has been said many times a good bed which gives a good night's sleep is the most important consideration in a build.  A comfortable place to sit and a way to poop and pee are a close 2nd and 3rd but both can be done outside much easier than sleeping undisturbed in a comfortable bed out of the elements.
My head is basically at the back doors.. a few inches away. I will be putting some of kind of padded fabric/vinyl/leather there. Right now it is painted wood and metal... not very comfy or snugly. I see that the sleeping area should have been#1. I had hygiene as number one.. followed by sitting with  sleeping in 3rd.... sleeping has gone up very fast in placement.. it will be on an equal with shower and potty.. as number one after a few days of falling through the edges.

Eva foam is the perfect material to put over the metal on the back doors. It insulates, sound deadens, its a closed cell foam and of course it also cushions. Yoga mats are made from it, the interlocking puzzle floor mats are made from it. Quite a few camping pads are made with EVA foam. I insulated the ceiling of my vintage fiberglass trailer with it using the version from auto upholstery sources that is called Landau Foam. It is also used as a thin, decoupling, sound absorbing layer under the click together plank flooring material. But that floor padding is too thin for any decent insulating or cushioning.

So the thickest is going to be the puzzle mats or the really thick exercise/camping pads. The Landau comes in a variety of thicknesses, the yoga mats will likely be a little too thin for a lean against cushion.

maki2 said:
Eva foam is the perfect material to put over the metal on the back doors. It insulates, sound deadens, its a closed cell foam and of course it also cushions.  Yoga mats are made from it, the interlocking puzzle floor mats are made from it. Quite a few camping pads are made with EVA foam. I insulated the ceiling of my vintage fiberglass trailer with it using the version from auto upholstery sources that is called Landau Foam. It is also used as a thin, decoupling, sound absorbing layer under the click together plank flooring material. But that floor padding is too thin for any decent insulating or cushioning.

So the thickest is going to be the puzzle mats or the really thick exercise/camping pads. The Landau comes in a variety of thicknesses, the yoga mats will likely be a little too thin for a lean against cushion.
Sounds like the prefect headboard. I am guessing I can adhere some snuggly fabric onto those? Some blue velvet???..LOL

I think I have seen those at walmart?

desert_sailing said:
Sounds like the prefect headboard. I am guessing I can adhere some snuggly fabric onto those? Some blue velvet???..LOL

I think I have seen those at walmart?
you can use the various spray glues and contact cement on EVA foam. Just check the manufacture's website for compatibility. But I have used 3M high strength 90 with it. The high strength 90 takes the high heat of putting head liner and padding against the roof of a vehicle.  If I was building a head board then I would add some snaps or Velco to the headboard so that I could attach something like a quilted pad on the surface. That way when it gets dirty that removable layer can go into the washing machine.

Oh boy, mini road trip coming up tomorrow! My workshop mate invited me to go on a long drive to go look at some property his son is interested in buying. He son is about 1,000 miles away but wants to buy some property with a large barn type building on it. He has two travel trailers and wants to have a home base that he owns and a place his dad can also use as a home base on land for his workshop. Of course I could also use it when needed to work on projects.

It is a very small town we are headed to so not likely to be much of anything open and the town park only has portable toilets which likely to be locked up with the Covid 19 situation. So we will travel in my Honda Element which is a great little "self contained" camping car. But we won't be staying overnight, just a several hour drive each way. It will be nice to get out of town even if only for a little while.

Well gooood morning people!

2nd nite (87 degrees) and I see why a fan is desired.  Once I put up the black outs, the air flow stopped more or less and the whole place became stifling.

I really don't want to cut a whole up top nor do I want the noise. ugg

I bought velcro for the cushions.. did not work at all. I am going to look at the toppers today..

The black out curtains kept me from waking at 430am with the sunshine..but the heat and stagnant air had me up a short while after.

Night 3 is gonna be even better!?

The white noise of a roof vent is soothing to me. If you are ble to crack a window near you, you can get airflow over you. I crack the one by my head.

Maki, I'm so happy for you that you're getting a day out of town.

desert_sailing - are you vancamping in Arizona right now, or someplace like that? If so, a ceiling fan and window vents are the way to go.

desert_sailing said:
....Battery powered  lights could get super expensive.  Unfortunately I  didn't make my  cushions with much awareness.....
Good day everyone, and the heat continues at 108 degrees in southern Arizona, hotter in Phoenix. Too hot to fish...

@desert sailing
Couple of hints you may use or not.

Luci lites best available online about $20 each. You will need 2 for 6 hours of light total. Recharge on your dash during the day. Good for reading.

Ryobi has an 18 volt fan with rechargable batteries. Laundromats and libraries have plugins for free charging.

Many like the USB fans, I do not. If you like USB fans please provide a description, best brand, and source link. 

For sleeping, use one piece mattress, thermarest is recomended. I have memoryfoam which has it's problems, but some like. When it is hot I like to sleep on the wood floor (heat rises).

Also watch Bob's cooling videos 1 & 2 for other hacks.
-crofter

travelaround said:
Maki, I'm so happy for you that you're getting a day out of town.

desert_sailing - are you vancamping in Arizona right now, or someplace like that? If so, a ceiling fan and window vents are the way to go.
Eastern Wa.  and I am in my fenced yard...lol...nothing so glamorous as AZ yet..

I am starting with a very basic power system that I don't think I would be able to power much of a fan at this point..lol

I wonder if they make d cell powered fans that I can put at one of the open side windows just for movement.....

travelaround said:
Crofter - so you're staying in Arizona all summer?
More fun in the sun. Have not decided when to travel next, there is so much to do here. 
-crofter

My Ryobi stuff has lasted for several years now and most have a really good warranty(any store, direct replacement) available when I buy through Home Depot and use their credit card it is really easy and probably less expensive if you use the vehicle charger for their "One" 18 volt easy to keep batteries charged up. The batteries are expensive and the less expensive after market ones don't hold up. I have fans some with misters, lights and tools that all use the same battery.

I agree, the Ryobi batteries are powerful and long lasting. Sounds like I need that one fan with the mister. Right now I am powering with shore power and running AC to keep the van at safe temperatures.
-crofter

crofter said:

Many like the USB fans, I do not. If you like USB fans please provide a description, best brand, and source link. 

-crofter

I have an OPolar - https://www.amazon.com/OPOLAR-Power...1590805495&sprefix=opolar+fan,aps,502&sr=8-13

It will run for hours on one of these -  [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]https://www.amazon.com/Portable-25800mAh-Capacity-Indicator-etc(Black)/dp/B07TSHW85D/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=battery+bank&qid=1590805559&sr=8-4
(not the one I have, but similar).[/font]

Thank you soo much everyone for the great suggestions. 

It is going to be another hot night. It is  currently 89 at 8pm 40 % humidity!!  UGG..we are usually below 20% ... and very little drop at night.

Cold water is going to be much appreciated I see. I won't have a fridge for a while.. if ever. A cooler of ice is only gonna last so long...

Great lessons  being learned. Thank you for your clearing of the path so my way and that of others is easier!

I am a little bummed I forgot to get screening.:(

a strip of led.. 6 feet usb powered..extendable. 4 bux.. testing that tonight... LOL no screens but more light... Do you want to wager on how many insects I will be covered in come morning?