Good Find?? Thoughts please.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merlin14

Reaction score
Long time reader, maybe first time poster here.

Neighbor has a 2014 Ford E-250 with 18,000 miles for $12,000.
It was a traffic survey van, and has a desk setup, and an auxillary rooftop A/C and on-board generator.
The company drove the van to the jobsite, set up and ran on the generator, then drove back to yard at end of day.  One special side window, otherwise a cargo van. 

Planning to see it when the rain lets up.  Tires are all it needs says the seller, who has been always been trustworthy and very friendly.

I've been all over the map on van, camper, pop-up, pickup, Class A-C.   Watched all sorts of builds on all sorts of things.  Pretty good mechanic if needed, will build it out a minimum as plan to follow weather mostly.

Always did my homework, but this looks like the proverbial "bird nest on the ground". 

Requesting your direct thoughts please.

Thanks All!

Sounds pretty cheap for a 2014 low mileage van.......Some pics would help when you see it.

Merlin14 said:
Long time reader, maybe first time poster here.

It was a traffic survey van, and has a desk setup, and an auxillary rooftop A/C and on-board generator.
The company drove the van to the jobsite, set up and ran on the generator, then drove back to yard at end of day.  One special side window, otherwise a cargo van. 

Planning to see it when the rain lets up.  Tires are all it needs says the seller, who has been always been trustworthy and very friendly.

I've been all over the map on van, camper, pop-up, pickup, Class A-C.   Watched all sorts of builds on all sorts of things.  Pretty good mechanic if needed, will build it out a minimum as plan to follow weather mostly.

Let us know.

Always did my homework, but this looks like the proverbial "bird nest on the ground". 

Requesting your direct thoughts please.

Thanks All!

Maybe... do you want the ac and gen set? Is that a practical set of accessories for where you intend to be? While I would like an ac unit here in Phoenix, its lack of stealth and noisy gen set would be a waste for an urban dweller. Now if I were on BLM land, it might be just right.

The age and low miles are a plus, as long as everything else checks out. You didn't post a link so cant comment on what it looks like. Just have your mechanic look it over if you don't feel like you trust your own judgement.

Goes sound cheap for that age, might be one of those genuine good deals though

Sounds like a good deal, but do have a mechanic go over it good. If anything needs fixing, that negotiation power!

Thanks for the help everyone. It will be here in a couple hours as he's driving it home for me to look over. Pics then for sure.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

poncho62 said:
Sounds pretty cheap for a 2014 low mileage van.......Some pics would help when you see it.
Pics later today.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Got my look and test drive. I think 3/4 ton is a bit too much van for me/us. The APU, rooftop a/c and auto levelling jacks sure are attractive features.
It's got a commercial desk, extra window, and complete shore power setup are just adds. Just a bit too much truck for me/us. I drove oilfield trucks for years. Looking for a Freightliner ride, and this one is an Autocar. Close, but no cigar...again. Maybe an Astro? If you are interested, message me and I'll be glad to hook you up to the seller. It's a 2006 w/ 18,910 miles, will need three new tires.
Thanks for all the help!

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

Merlin14 said:

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]It's a 2006 w/ 18,910 miles,[/font]

That makes a slight difference.

What is it? 

Picture please?

Merlin14 said:
  It's a 2006 w/ 18,910 miles, will need three new tires. 

Am I the only one that thinks 12K for this is way high?

It would have been an excellent deal if it was a 2014. Seems a bit high for a 2006. The low mileage is nice and the set up sounds like it has some nice features for the right person. I'd prefer to start with a clean slate though.

All depends if you would have paid for those extras anyway they're worth a lot.

Just as a van as a base for a buildout, even very low mileage that's for 11 years old.

And if it was sitting there idling all day, forget it.

John61CT said:
And if it was sitting there idling all day, forget it.
Good point, but me thinks not. That was what the generator was for?   ;)

never replace 3 tires, do all 4. or 2 at a time in certain circumstances. highdesertranger