Goal Zero Yeti 400-an answer to solar?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldenbound

Reaction score
I was looking at this at work, and thought it could be the answer to a very simpleton solar setup.
https://www.rei.com/product/862518/goal-zero-yeti-400-solar-generator
I'll tell you the truth. I'm afraid of electricity, it causes fires. Every time I think of having batteries that leak hydrogen, wires, controllers, inverters, I feel like it would be like handling plutonium and if something happened, I'd set off Three Mile Island in my van. (I know, that's how I think, go ahead and laugh.)

But this, it looks like it handles everything in one little neat package. Hook up a 100 watt solar panel, and you've got power. USB ports, cigarette lighter hole, two regular looking plugs. Display reading shows how much the battery is powered and how much is going out when something is plugged in.

I know it is very costly, but for someone who doesn't understand electricity and is a Nervous Nellie about it all, would this work for very simple power needs?

$460.00 for a small battery and inverter plus outlets.   :dodgy:  Power source not included.  33 amp hours  :dodgy:  

Read the reviews, especially the negative ones. 

P. T. Barnum was right.  :rolleyes:

Ok, I looked at those threads, didn't know anybody else was talking about the Yeti. Problem is I don't understand all of the terms and amp hours, ect. I need a "solar for dummies" site.
I don't want power for anything fancy, I want to live a very simple life and don't want a lot of electrical gadgets besides The Big Three, (phone, tablet, laptop.) No pressure cookers, crock pots, hair dryers, etc.
I realize this is overpriced, but if it is simple and safe to use, I could go for it.

Specs say 33ah lead acid battery. Using the 50% discharge rule for lead acid, you have 16.5ah usable if you want the battery to last. At that level of usage you'd be able to get away with just using the van's starting battery.

$600 to charge up a phone and tablet.  The laptop is iffy on a less than perfect day.   :dodgy:

Some users report failure within a year, and lack of customer service. 

What will you be using this in?  Car, van, backbacking? I ask for reasons of looking for options for you.

waldenbound said:
I was looking at this at work, and thought it could be the answer to a very simpleton solar setup.
https://www.rei.com/product/862518/goal-zero-yeti-400-solar-generator
I'll tell you the truth. I'm afraid of electricity, it causes fires. Every time I think of having batteries that leak hydrogen, wires, controllers, inverters, I feel like it would be like handling plutonium and if something happened, I'd set off Three Mile Island in my van. (I know, that's how I think, go ahead and laugh.)

But this, it looks like it handles everything in one little neat package. Hook up a 100 watt solar panel, and you've got power. USB ports, cigarette lighter hole, two regular looking plugs. Display reading shows how much the battery is powered and how much is going out when something is plugged in.

I know it is very costly, but for someone who doesn't understand electricity and is a Nervous Nellie about it all, would this work for very simple power needs?
I have pay pall and a fully self contained solar geni that will beet that hands down.

40watt Polycrystaline panel, charge controler, 40ah AGM battery, 300 watt inverter, battery tender for charging via AC, ciggy sockets and USB, extra cables for charging starter batteries. Everything modular and interchangable. All sorts of extras. Everything fused. Modular MC4 connections. 20 foot leads for positioning. All 10awg twistes copper.

I'll even throw in free shipping. Hell, I'll even run down to Home Depot and put together a tilt stand for it.

I'm only being semi fascitious. For $500 though ... it's yours.

GotSmart said:
$600 to charge up a phone and tablet.  The laptop is iffy on a less than perfect day.   :dodgy:

Some users report failure within a year, and lack of customer service. 

What will you be using this in?  Car, van, backbacking? I ask for reasons of looking for options for you.

In the van of course. I just get real intimidated with anything electrical. I try to start reading threads on this and I can't understand the terms. I did go over Bob's "elves and piggy bank" analogy for solar basics. But the thought of all those components all over the van, and batteries that let off hydrogen gas, I don't want a mushroom cloud going off during RTR. "Hey, waldenbound just plugged in her laptop!"

As far as usage, I'm still resistant, but if using a cooler turns in a major PITA instead of just a minor PITA, then I would be looking at plugging in a basic 12v refrigerator. One of those Dometics. I would like to operate my FantasticFan, but if I can get by with just the vent being open. I don't know at this point. It's not hot yet here.

Get someone to help you put in a proper system. Having everything in a self-contained box doesn't make it "safer" (12V is a lot less dangerous than your camp stove or van's fuel), just unnecessarily expensive.

If you do still want to go $elf-contained, get a KillAwatt meter and conservatively ballpark your AH needs for two full days and nights, and we'll help you get best value for money.

For what you are saying, including the Dometic, a 200W set up would work great. More than enough power to make it through cloudy days.  

There are members here that will help you with the set up.  

The cost would be about $700 for parts, including sealed batteries.  No gassing.

Really GotSmart? Ok, well, my original plan is to go pretty primitive until RTR 2019, then I should get a better picture of what I need. That would be 6-8 months on the road full time.
I would also pay someone from the tribe to set it up. And cook them dinner. :)

I would also pay someone from the tribe to set it up. And cook them dinner. :)
[/quote]

$475 and a Pizza Hut gift card.

Everything is color coded for ease of use.

[emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The price is a guess, and deliberatly high.  

If interested, PM me, and we can discuss options and possibilities.  

Find components and definate prices.

Dinner?   :D

gsfish, hook into my van's battery??? Nooooooo, don't even want to go there. My van's battery powers my van.

To clarify my usage, my gadgets I would just run maybe an hour or two a day. At home, I charge my iPad about twice a week. My phone gets used so little, a charge lasts a week. I don't have a mobile office to power, or photography equipment. My vision is to live a simple life, with just enough basics that run on electrical power. I'm not trying to replicate my sticks and bricks life, I want to live an outdoor life. I'm not Daniel Boone either. Internet, email and connectivity are a part of life nowadays.

GotSmart, ok deal. I'll start going through Bob's blog posts again, and try to understand this stuff. I'm a smart person, I can get this. When I can get a list going, I"ll run it by you in PM, and we can refine it. Yep, I'll cook you dinner too, and supply refreshments.

At the risk if sounding like a broken record: read.

It's somewhat embarrassing, but when I got into this, I ended sifting through, what was at that time, all 74 pages of threads in this electrical forum. It took me a long time, but I wanted to do it right. I try to find out the info on my own, and if I can't find a good, thorough answer, I ask.

I started out thinking that all I needed was a 100 watt portable solar panel, but my needs/desires for power soon outgrew my suppositions (we have 545 watts now) . I figured that, if I was going to be spending years in my van, I had better make it as comfortable as possible. I've roughed it for enough years, so this time our travels will be relatively luxurious .

Welcome aboard and prepare for the ride of your life!
Ted

waldenbound said:
GotSmart, ok deal. I'll start going through Bob's blog posts again, and try to understand this stuff. I'm a smart person, I can get this. When I can get a list going, I"ll run it by you in PM, and we can refine it. Yep, I'll cook you dinner too, and supply refreshments.

You CAN get this!

I'm trying to teach someone who has the same fears as you do about 12V systems right now. Basically I found he is lacking the confidence that he can learn it.

If something GS says goes over your head, feel free to ask me...I've been known to be good at translating stuff like that.

Watch out for cooking John dinner though, he's a really good cook so the standards are pretty high... :D :D :p

RVTravel said:
go lithium ion for $330 (Anker Powerhouse2) instead of lead acid. Then you have a unit you can take into a library (in a backpack) and charge there  too.
https://www.anker.com/deals/powerhouse2

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Ultra-Capacity-Lithium-Batteries

Lithium, hmmm, yeah Goal Zero has a lithium power pack too. But you hear so much in the news about lithium batteries causing fires. Lithium is definitely like handling plutonium to me. :s

Ok, what really causes lithium batteries to cause fires? Is it over charging? I have a GZ lantern in the house now. I almost put it out on the balcony because of the lithium! If a nicely charged lithium battery is sitting in a device, there should be no cause for concern, right?

Almost There said:
Watch out for cooking John dinner though, he's a really good cook so the standards are pretty high... :D :D :p

I make some groovy campfire fajitas! :D

Very different sort lithium batteries. Phones and planes have had problems but Prius and Teslas not so much. Everything has risk. My buddies house burned due to a super safe oil radiator space heater that was turned OFF. People worry too much. Worry is risk aversion run amock.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Latest posts