Goal Zero Yeti 400-an answer to solar?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
waldenbound said:
Lithium, hmmm, yeah Goal Zero has a lithium power pack too. But you hear so much in the news about lithium batteries causing fires. Lithium is definitely like handling plutonium to me. :s
LiFePO4 aka Lithium iron, Li-Fe LFP, is very different from the other Lithium-Ion chemistries used in devices that have thermal runaway problems.

Very safe, not to worry.

Much more so than propane and the fuel your vehicle uses.

Ok, I've been reading about lithium ion from Battery University. Problems happen when metallic particles get in the cell during manufacturing. Contamination can occur, but they are supposed to be very safe.

I"m starting to feel better about it. Yeah, 11 pounds of propane, a tank full of gas, then hydrogen gas from regular batteries, then electrical charge. Brings to mind things like the Hindenburg, Chernobyl, The China Syndrome...

Not to mention thousands of explosions in the engine every minute

Even if you pay 2 or 3 times what you should there is still electricity and chemicals in there.  Until you get over those fears hold on to your money.  

I put together a box with 70 amp hour agm, triple cigarette lighter outlets, charger, and inverter.  It was all fused and in a nice package.  It was returned.  Maybe I should have charged a kilobuck instead of making it a gift.  That might have taken care of the fears.  At least she didn't part with a lot of money figuring out that she doesn't want electricity enough to have her own.

waldenbound said:
Ok, I've been reading about lithium ion from Battery University.
That term is an umbrella for all kinds of widely differing chemistries. And note that site is not the best for detailed accuracy, OK for general background.

I open up many laptop batteries to build my own lithium battery packs, I seen alot of batteries at zero voltage but never any heat/fire damage, I also rarely see fuses being used on the laptop batteries themselves, rare to find thermal fuses on some.

The powertool lithium battery packs are the ones to stay away from, I bought 5 of them (50 batteries therein) all were at less then 1 volt, 10 of them had heat damage, and about three had vented. But I didnt see any fire damage and also I didnt see any fuses inside the cases. I was able to recover some of them (about 20) but they all had about 800 mah, I only use them on flashlights.

The hoverboards that caught on fire were probably more of a result of wrong wiring use (which shorted out and caught on fire) . The batteries themselves will vent, but if you put them in a fire, they will definitely burn, like any battery.

The battery packs that I have build I put 5 amp fuses on every battery, if one battery shorts out, it wont overheat and vent. The fuse will blow and that battery is removed from use, the batterypack will still work. Those fuses are the same used by tesla, they are actually called tesla fuses.

I myself think lithium is a safe technology, million of laptops and cellphones and maybe a handful of fires. Once you use a lithium powerpack, you won't want to go back to agm. I was a little scared when I got my first 94 ah lithium house battery last year (i build myself) but its easy to carry, doesnt have to be fully charged, it can go 2 to 3 days between charges. I so far stockpile about 500 18650 batteries to build an even bigger house battery. I do have a fire extinguisher nearby, but I had that even with my agm. Wiring catching on fire is the bigger hazard. Putting fuses on everything minimizes the hazard.

"Lithium" covers many completely different chemistries and battery types designed for completely different uses.

Best to specify both, e.g. "LiFePO4 for house bank usage"

and also to distinguish homemade cylinder packs vs the large commercial prismatic cells

in order to make things clear for a productive discussion.