GIRLS' ROOM: Goodbye to my clothes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ggwoman - You are cracking me up!  

Had no idea it was so expensive to get back to the mainland, wow!  I'd send you some of my shorts but we are going opposite directions with the weight thing.  :p

Hippiechk said:
Hey, I did a good thing!! I got all the wearable in one of 3 cupboards. I need the shelf boards, but the stacks fit nicely. All the winter clothes & sheets in a second cupboards and leaving a free cupboard for laundry!!

When I am camped & its nice out I keep a bucket of water & when its full of clothes I do wash but there are times it builds up & it needs a place to live.

I bet that feels good! I will do my laundry by hand or with that new panda later on. I really don't like laundromats. Except for Chrissy Hine's song, laundromats give me the creeps for some reason. For me, I'm buying my trailer from a distance and have not seen it in real time yet, it's so hard to figure. Trying to go by pictures and measurements isn't working. I can't feel the space, kwim?

Queen said:
ggwoman - You are cracking me up!  

Had no idea it was so expensive to get back to the mainland, wow!  I'd send you some of my shorts but we are going opposite directions with the weight thing.  :p

I know right? That's why this is such a scene. I just have to put my big girl pants on (pun intended) and hope my thinking isn't skewed and screwed up. I can barely remember the mainland. I'm just working off memory at this point and I can't vouch for that working anymore. Sometimes I wish I could just grow a fur coat and never mind all this clothes business. Dogs and cats are lucky.

JLynne said:
 Ford wants $200.00 for the part because it's been discontinued.
  I'm not planning to full time just yet but really want to re-claim that space. It's not top priority right now but gonna have to find the correct part eventually.

Have you checked the local "pull-a-part" junk yards?

Michelle (GMC Gypsy) said:
Have you checked the local "pull-a-part" junk yards?

That's what I was thinking of, should be able to pull one off an old van with front end damage. 

Not me, mind you, I can't crawl around on the ground anymore, but a lot of the places will pull the part for you for a fee.

mockturtle said:
I seldom wear jeans, either.  Mostly nylon hiking pants.  More comfortable and they dry quickly.

I love jeans, "mom" jeans, hi waisted with lots off stretch. I live in them, but I have a hard time finding them. That"s because some idiots in the fashion industry decided that women are all 5"2', lean teenagers and we should look like boys. So, they make very little that is not low waisted and almost nothing that is cut for a mature woman's hip-to-waist proportions. I am tall and I am old. I do not want a plumber's butt or a skin belt. When I find the rare designs I want, I buy every pair in my size.

Queen said:
JLynne, hope you can find a spare tire mount at a junk yard, that's much too precious of space to lose to a tire.

Thanks, I agree. I think I located a couple but not locally. Much less expensive, around $60 or $70 last time I looked.  Not top priority just yet, but soon.

Oh yeah, that's much better.  

I wanted to take mine off the back door of my '99 Roadtrek (those year Dodges had the single door and the weight caused some leaking as they aged), but I was having a bear of a time finding a place to stick the thing!

gcal said:
I love jeans, "mom" jeans, hi waisted with lots off stretch. I live in them, but I have a hard time finding them. That"s because some idiots in the fashion industry decided that women are all 5"2', lean teenagers and we should look like boys. So, they make very little that is not low waisted and almost nothing that is cut for a mature woman's hip-to-waist proportions. I am tall and I am old. I do not want a plumber's butt or a skin belt. When I find the rare designs I want, I buy every pair in my size.

One Word:  LEE 

Always been made for the 'hour glass' gals.

Been using forever (except for my 'fat years') but in '07 went to JCPenny's, and slipped back into a size 10!  It was a spiritual experience.

Anyway,,, can't seem to do better than a 12 anymore and order online.  I'd suggest finding a really HUGE in person carrier/store, try on til you know the ones you want, then order online.   Cause, after I got attached to my style/size they never seemed to have them/enough when I'd go on my semi annual buying run; so I kept getting them online.

For Instance:  http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Womens-Pe...48188&refinements=p_lbr_brands_browse-bin:Lee

Ordering online with confidence? Ah, I fear those days are over. Years ago, I used to be able to pick a size 10 Kasper dress off the rack and head for the register. Did not even have to try it on. Now, they have spread their manufacturing around the world and changed their processes to save a few cents, and 2 skirts off the same rack will fit differently. Same with Denim and Co. and Liz and the rest of my favorite brands.

Even though I'm a "big gal" I don't have much of a butt, so Lee's bag on me, Wrangler traditional cut work best if I'm going to bother with jeans. Back when I was thinner I rocked Levis button fly 501's, great fit.

Cleaned out the last of my closet YAY!!! Down to my rags and the outfit I'll wear on the plane. I just realized something, the little bit that I'm using now ie kitchen utensils, clothes, linens, etc. is exactly the stuff I only need to live on the road. LOL I think I've overpacked.