GIRLS' ROOM: Goodbye to my clothes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle (GMC Gypsy)

Reaction score
Today I started sorting through my clothes... again. I've pared my closet down 3 times in the last few years and felt pretty good about what I had left but I knew that I had to do some serious reducing to live in a van.

I came across a skirt I paid $50 for and wanted to keep it. I thought about how many times I've worn it since I bought it 3 1/2 years ago. Twice.... so I washed it and hung it in the give away area of the closet. There's a women's shelter here in Albuquerque for victims of domestic violence, I'll be taking my nicer clothes to them along with the shoes that still fit my feet but no longer fit my lifestyle.

It's surprisingly painful to let these things go.  :(

It is hard but after you actually do it, it feels pretty good.

I know how hard the clothes are...I'm slowly doing that too. *sigh* It was my to do this weekend and I found it harder than I realized.  I'm really not a keeper of things but the clothes have been surprisingly difficult to let go!  I know I'm going to have to do this several times before I get it down to a van sized wardrobe! 

You have kindred spirit in me, Michelle!   :)

I spent 10 years driving a truck cross country so I know what I'll actually need but getting rid of my nicer clothes is the hard part. I know I won't need them, but still...

I'm trying to console myself with the thought that some woman who had to leave her home in the middle of the night with just the clothes on her back will enjoy them more than I would just having them hanging in my van closet taking up space. I AM doing the right thing, I know it!

It was hard for me to get rid of a lot of things, especially clothes. I do have a storage unit where I keep certain things I can't part with and that's okay. Since living in my van is new to me, that's why I have the storage unit for now. 

Baby steps for me at this point, but I did get rid of a lot of clothes I don't wear anymore. I figure if I haven't worn it in six months, it was time to get rid of it. 

VanGrrl57

OMG, this pairing down and pairing down, seems never ending, and for me.some.of.it feels like grieving. On the upside I am a few days away from getting in the truck and finially get to buy stuff again. Found out yoga gym clothes are warm cannsleep in them look nice getting coffee, then to the gym. A lady in Albuquerque will feel good with the fifty dollor skirt on, we are all seeking freedom! Good luck on the pair down!

Michelle (GMC Gypsy) said:
I spent 10 years driving a truck cross country so I know what I'll actually need but getting rid of my nicer clothes is the hard part. I know I won't need them, but still...

I'm trying to console myself with the thought that some woman who had to leave her home in the middle of the night with just the clothes on her back will enjoy them more than I would just having them hanging in my van closet taking up space. I AM doing the right thing, I know it!

I bet some of those clothes are the ones you bought when you stopped driving truck. Some of them might even be the one you were looking forward buying when you found yourself day dreaming, driving the truck down a boring stretch of road. It might be a good idea to give yourself permission to keep one or two that you just can't part from. Tightly rolled clothes don't take too much space.

The only time I had to par down was to start traveling for a year and living out of a backpack. I had it easy because for most part it was the clothes that I was wearing working for a large corporation that I was so very happy to leave.

I admire your desire to help these unfortunate ladies. Good on you.

Best of luck.

Nicole

That's pretty close. They're clothes I dreamed of buying while I was fighting for Disability after I had to quit driving and had no income for 2 1/2 years. I have kept a couple dresses that I do wear pretty regularly along with the sweats and t-shirts. I'm going to build a hanging closet (cuz I hate folding laundry) approximately 20" x 20" so I've got mostly just what I need with a couple dresses for those times I want to go inside a nicer restaurant or museum.

Gave my business clothingto a group that provides professional wear to women entering the work force. Kept shoes, but have worn several out over time. Have nothing -NOTHING - that I  started out with. No room for keepsake or aspirational clothing. Once I no longer had housework and yard work to do and a job tthat kept me out of the fridge, and once I developed a hip issue that put a stop to jogging or rough hiking, I put on 40 pounds very fast. Nothing, I mean absolutely nothing except handbags, scarves and shoes, fit. Just got a fitness app on the phone so I can diet with a support group. So far, I have had a fabulous 1 day streak of behaving myself.

gcal said:
Just got a fitness app on the phone so I can diet with a support group. So far, I have had a fabulous 1 day streak of behaving myself.

Lol! You go, girl!  :p

The one thing I found to be most helpful when dieting is something ALL the experts say to do. Allow yourself a little of your favorite foods from time to time. Complete abstinence will make dieting so hard that you end up blowing off the diet.

I like pastries. Walmart has little individeal pies for 50 cents that are quite tasty. Good crust, and that is what counts. I have figured out exactly how much walking and stationary bike riding I have to do to earn myself each type of pie. If I walk uphill to the Rec Hall, spend a relaxed 30 minutes on the bike, and then walk back, I get a cherry pie.

Living on the road, I miss my stationary bike. It would tell me exactly how many calories I burned. Although I haven't gained any weight in the past two years, I haven't lost the ten pounds I need to lose to fit into some of my clothes.

Michelle (GMC Gypsy) said:
Lol! You go, girl!  :p

The one thing I found to be most helpful when dieting is something ALL the experts say to do. Allow yourself a little of your favorite foods from time to time. Complete abstinence will make dieting so hard that you end up blowing off the diet.

My plan gives me one light snack in the evening. My plan gives me cookies and tea. I must have taken half an hour in the cookie aisle at the grocery store, today. I stressed more over choosing those cookies than I stressed over choosing my last car.

I'm going through the "dress and work clothes" issue now, too. I had all of that stored at my mom's house, but I'm cleaning out all her stuff as well as mine in order to sell the house. (Turns out she loves her assisted living apartment.)

The downside is pulling out something that I used to really like wearing and having memories of interesting times that go with the clothes.

But what gets me freely tossing into the "donate" bags is the thought that my lifestyle NOW is all about comfy clothing that fits how I've chosen to live my days and nights. No need now for "client clothes" or cocktail party stuff. YAY!!!!!!

Same method with clothes as with anything else. Put a date sticker on them. If you have not worn them a year later, you are not going to wear them at all. Off to Goodwill with them

gcal said:
My plan gives me one light snack in the evening. My plan gives me cookies and tea. I must have taken half an hour in the cookie aisle at the grocery store, today. I stressed more over choosing those cookies than I stressed over choosing my last car.

I hear ya! I started dieting back in December and it takes more time now to do my grocery shopping than it did when I was married with a kid! Watching fat grams and sugars along with the calorie count is a pain in the butt, then there's measuring serving sizes. But it's paying off, I've lost almost 20 pounds already. I slacked off the diet during March but I've gotten more serious again this month. I figure when I get started going hardcore on the van tear-down I'll start losing faster.  :D

By the time I'm done with this none of the clothes I'm stressing over now will fit.... Yeah, that's how I make it easier to get rid of them!  ;)

When we moved to FL every single article of clothing I owned fit in a duffle bag, my wifes stuff took up six large rubbermaid bins (and she's just about half my size). LOL I had to stop being insufferable about my minimalist approach when I got me new job... had to buy a business casual wardrobe. d'oh!

I got two bags full again in the garage ready to go. Also some boxes I am filling with craft items that I am giving up and books. The Goodwill likes to get books since they are popular. I can see they always seem to need winter things of which I have to part with.

Those little pies for .50 at Wal-Mart? I was surprised they were good and thought they would be like those nasty snack fried pies. I have only had the pecan pie. I have some in the freezer right now!

It can do a world of good to eliminate flour and sugar from your diet. We ate a raw diet for awhile and while I loved it, the rest of the family didn't. Soon, I will not have to worry about the "rest"!

Just keep thinking how happy someone will be when they find the treasure that you have donated. I have shopped the Goodwill as did my mother and to find a treasure, it makes all the difference. Having just one special item of clothing that makes you feel better about yourself.......

The last two summers, I've unloaded 4 bags of clothes at the thrift store. Lately, I went through the closet again and unloaded a large contractor bag of career work clothes, sitting here ready to donate. Just down to minimum work clothes (5 days worth) to see me through the next 6 weeks. Then they are going too. I have a bunch around the house work clothes which have rips, stains, paint etc. They will be the last and thrown away as they will get one last major work out prepping the house for sale. Time is flying by and going slow at the same time, but getting the now "useless" stuff out is really making this new life become real. It's a happy chore for me. I'll be happy to get down to 15 hangers worth of clothes and a few foldables. Figure whatever I need will cost less to buy at a thrift store on the road, than to ship and give me a happy memory of a place I've been to. I only have one small suitcase to take with and that'll have to do for now.