Getting Ready to Launch

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueRV2

Reaction score
Hello Bob and All,

I discovered Bob via a reference in a YouTube video about boon docking, and 'boy oh-boy' has his site changed my outlook about diving into a new life style. You see, I am a home-body who is about to become homeless, except that I'm preparing an old MH for my next adventure. Fortunately I saw my crisis coming and have been preparing for sometime now. The advice and experience shared here has given me hope that I can happily make the transition. I'll be in Quartzite for the RTR to learn more. I'm planning on staying most of the season and looking for work as a RV tech/handyman/mechanic....

My 'rig' has 60,000 original miles and is a 1984 28' foot coach with a Chevy drive-line/chassis that will tow a 1986 Honda Civic Wagon 4WD on a dolly with brakes. Curb weight of the 4WD Honda is about 2000lbs. The combined curb weight might be safely increased by 4,000 pounds. The modification of the coach goes further than most would bother with as it is intended to be a 'Total Off Gridder', to be lived in much and to be driven as seldom as possible. The Honda that gets realistically 30mpg, or bicycle will be used instead. I see it as a small sail boat to be outfitted for an around the world journey, therefore 'redundant- redunancy', and the ability to use any available resources is necessary and cuts expenses too. It should make for a good 'cabin in the woods' and BOV.

The future refrigerator will be 43 liter, 400 dollar Edgestar. Recently installed 280 watts of solar panels and two good quality deep cycle batteries produced by Johnson Controls and sold at Costco for $90 bucks each, a WW2 tent woodstove, $99 bucks, two identical and quiet good ol' 1985 Honda EM500 generators, $175 bucks each and in near new condition, a model 1308-12 Dankoff Slowpump, (don't ask, lots of bucks), a solar powered water pump ( no battery necessary) to fill 200 gallons of auxiliary water tanks with filtered water from any surface water source from as far away as 450 vertical feet from below. Water is life. With a summer sun, it is rated to pump about 500+ gallons per day using only PV. Depending on the mix of crop, this could irrigate a half to a full acre garden if need be. The filtering system is graduated from 10 micron to sub-micron (.5 micron) and can be quickly connected to remove biological, radiological and chemical contaminants if needed. The plumbing has been modified in several ways for the subzero temperatures of Montana, and for versatility. The shower has a separate insulated and small 4 gallon tank and it's own pump that can take hot water from the wood stove, or propane stove top to be poured into this small tank and mixed with cold water from the tanks, or the small shower tank can be put on the roof heated by the sun. Hot water can also be pumped from metal tanks next to the wood stove for showers, or to the kitchen sink, or from a large metal tub/bucket/pot on an open fire outside and next to the coach. Shovel snow into a large metal wash tub heated by an external fire, and pump water into the coach. The coach's primary pump is the good old Shurflow 2088 water pump that can take water from any nearby surface source no lower than 20 feet below and deliver it into the tanks, into the coach plumbing, or via garden hose, up to several hundred feet away if necessary. It can use a surface source directly and continuously. The Shureflow pump has a pressure shutoff switch.

I prefer to be as self sufficient and comfortable as possible, and 200 gallons of water could allow one to stay on site for a month or so, or one could use twice as much water without the concern of running empty prior to the 14 day limit on BLM land. Figure 5 gallons per person per day and 200 gallons only lasts for 20 days for 2 persons. Yet water is very heavy, so the tanks can be left dry and used as storage space when traveling. The interior front 6 feet of the coach was removed and remodeled to accommodate four 30 gallon drums under a 6 foot long table/workbench/desk top and the passenger front seat was removed to allow for another two 30 gallon or one 55 gallon barrel. These drums or barrels have removable tops that allow one to store supplies inside. The other side of the front portion of the coach has a lightweight portable wood stove, and a 36" x 36" antique table next to it. Both the table and the 6 foot workbench/table and the drums and can be easily taken outside and used to expand ones living area, and leave plenty of cargo or living space inside. The wood stove can also be moved outside during the hot months. It is also a good cook stove. The 6 foot workbench can also double as a third bed, and bed next to the wood stove should temps get into the minus 20 to 40 below range, as it does most years here and for several weeks. One could be sleeping next to the stove and on top of 195 gallons of temperature stabilizing thermal-mass.

In the rear, the queen size bed has been raised to double the storage space back there. The toilet is either the standard flush type or dry, a 5 gallon bucket or bag in a sealed wooden and vented box. The previous owners replaced the 3-way frig with a large and modern 600 watt, 110 volt residential type. The original propane water heater was replaced by a 18 gallon 1500 watt, 110 volt residential type. If one can afford the hook ups, these 110 volt appliances would be nice to use. I'll need a larger generator to run those, and a wood-gasifer to supply that generator with fuel. Wood-gasifiers were used extensively in Northern Europe during WW2 in place of gasoline to power tanks, taxis, and tractors. Because of the short and dark days during winter in the deep woods of Montana, 280 watts of PV might not be enough during those dark 3 months of December, January and February if one wishes to run a laptop and ham radios for hours, so auxiliary lighting is either propane, white gas, or kerosene lantern, as well as candles. White gas is good to carry as it also can run the chain saw, the coach, or the Honda. And a tiny wood-gasifer could easily be built from coffee cans and copper pipe and run a tiny 500 watt Honda generator. The old school generators could be easily converted to run on wood gas, or propane.

Hopefully some of these ideas can be useful to others. I'd be happy to answer any questions. I have certainly found this blog to be helpful to myself and I will see you-all down there in Quartzite to learn more and kick off a new adventure...

Congratulations and welcome!

Sounds like you're ready so we'll see you in Q!

You know we love pictures, right?

How awesome!! Some very well thought out plans there, impressive. :) You sound very prepared for you next big adventure, enjoy!!

Hey wow sounds great, probably not going to get great milage. Quartzite is a hoot and be lookin forward to meeting a lot of new members. Welcome

Thank you for all the warm welcome's! It is indeed comforting to have social network.

The plain white van and converted utility trailer is very smart if one can afford it. Yes, this coach is a gas hog, 8 mpg, yet it was inexpensive to purchase, $2,500, low mileage, 60,0000 miles on the odometer, and a capable vehicle for it's purpose. It is essentially a 28 foot 1 ton truck, that can haul enough tools, and supplies to support my style and vocation as a Handyman. It can carry at least one year's worth of food in the form of dry staples if necessary, and it can house a woodstove to keep one toasty in northern climates should one decide to stay far from population centers. The total cost of owning and operating it will be lower during the first two or three years than buying a vehicle that gets 16 mpg with 60,000 miles on it. Because of the low entry cost and low mileage on the vehicle, maintenance and reliability are issues I will not have to be overly concerned with for sometime. These older models are also inexpensive and simple to repair as well. 1980's Chevy parts are common. Knowing that it only gets 8 mpg, I will plan accordingly and not cruise the country, but map out a course that that is efficient as possible. I'll try to stay in Q for the season if I can stand it, and perhaps leave the rig there in a secure area if possible, and use the 30 mpg Honda wagon to explore minimalist style. During the summer, I'll slowly head back home to Montana where there is plenty of BLM. There are 5 beautiful dispersed camping sites within 7 miles of my home town, 4 that have surface water and tons of dead wood on the ground. These are open year round.

I do have a long distance parabolic wifi antenna (24dBi) on the roof that can pick up wifi from as far as 8 miles away, yet I'll likely want a cell phone based service. I've got to check into that and see if that is affordable. And I wonder if it would be safe to park and store the MH in Quartzite, even for a short period. I see that it is possible to buy wood in Q, and wood is good, yet is it more expensive there than propane? I suspect so!

Thank you for your responses. Perhaps I'll rediscover some of my youth in this process. I was once a vagabond in Europe, yet I was once young and full of wanderlust. I was recently in Europe for many months, yet stuck on a farm. I found I prefer this country and the opportunities here. Somehow we have got to preserve what is left of it.

My only question is, "What took you so long?" :D
Being an RV tech sounds like you're light-years ahead of most neophytes, and it is obvious that you have put some thought into this, but nothing beats real-life xp, so you've come to the right place for that, imo :)

So is that a Class A or C rig? Either way it sounds like you've got plenty of space and could use a bit more than the 280w of solar power, and at least doubling it on separate systems would give you more of that redundancy you need, jic (I'm a big fan of backups for sure). I'm wrestling with that power conundrum myself ("We need more power, Captain" in Scotty's voice, lol).

As for a gassifier, I'd read up on these some time back, interesting and has potential, but after watching a series of vids on Youtube posted by a guy who built one (well several iterations actually, each improving on the next) I came to the realization that it wasn't actually quite as easy as it sounds. One of the problems he kept running into was that his system kept producing too much tar, couldn't get the flame tester to burn a nice clean blue (was pretty close by the 4th generation tho). I took this as meaning that if it's not right there's potential to gum up or ruin some appliances, so just fyi on the research thing.

All in all it sounds like you're a great resource so good to have you on the boards and look forward to hearing from you on how things progress for you. Btw, pics are always appreciated, lol, beat Patrick to the punch again :D Good luck Rogue!
;?D

Also sounds like we have some thinking in common, I like the idea of eventually finding a place where I can get a small bit of real estate, out in the boonies cheap with no improvements, off the grid (and in a location where it's likely to stay that way for the foreseeable future), but not totally removed from civilization, say no more than an hour drive to the nearest store ;?D

Living off the land is very appealing, and because of that my main line of thinking was to rule out from the get go, any areas where the climate is too extreme, hot or cold. As much as I LOVE Alaska where I spent many years, I just don't want to deal with the incredible hardships of living under those conditions during the 5 months of winter. Although if money weren't an issue, having a second base for winter living would be the best of both worlds (but man the drive would be set you back :s).

And ditto on the water idea - it is ABSOLUTELY essential to survival which is why I decided not to live anywhere that doesn't get a minimum of 25-30 inches of rain, and preferably higher. While I don't prefer too much rain either, that's far better than too little - more severe droughts I'm afraid are going to be more common with extreme climate change so I'll take too much rain over not enough any day.

Btw, are you a fan permaculture? Sounds like you've got a start, but if you haven't heard about it there's lots of info out there and it's a great philosophy to live by imo.
;?D

Hello Fearnoevil,

I believe it is a Class A coach. And yes, there is no better teacher than experience and that is why I value a form such as this. One can be technically savvy, yet lacking in the knowledge of what is truly useful. This is one reason that while in 'dry dock', I'm building for as many contingencies as appears practical. My views about the future also influence my approach. I also hope to find a piece of very cheap dirt somewhere up here to buy...eventually. I may also add another panel or two, money permitting, or step up to an MTTP charge controller, and set the panels up at angle to improve efficiency. I'm a bit shy of 1 amp of solar ($1) to 1AH ($1 per hour for the piggy bank) of battery. Unfortunately my bank charges me 15% to hold $1. It is more efficient to use appliances when the sun is shining and shut it off at night. As the panels lie flat on the roof instead of being at 45 to 48 degree angles, they are only about 65% efficient. This means that 280 watts produces only Wat 175 watts would produce. Setting them at angle and to the south would increase efficient by 25% and adding an MPPT charge controller would increase that output another 10 to 30% as the day time temps approach zero and the batteries are low. If roof space is tight, it pays to set it up to be as efficient as possible. If there is plenty of roof space then adding another panel is the better choice, IMHO. Setting them up at angle does make them vulnerable to high winds and the chance that one could absently minded driveway. I'll try to get another 100 watt panel from Renology first, but only after I get that Edgestar or Dometic 12vdc refrigerator. These refrigerators will save one money over buying ice or propane rather quickly. If one avoids the use of an inverter, by using only 12vdc devices and appliances, 200 watts flat on the roof is plenty in sunny climates. I run 3 fans during the day without drawing from the batteries. Compact florescent 12vdc bulbs are a affordable alternative choice over LED lighting. I have both. In a pinch I will use the LED and back up AA battery powered LEDs, and LED headlamps. I can work comfortably all night on a project with only a LED headlamp.

Permaculture should be my next subject of intense study. I could do a 'gorilla garden' if necessary. Wood gas generators were popular and used extensively in Scandinavia and Germany during WW2, particularly in Sweden and Denmark. Compact and stylish models where retro fitted. Reinventing anything has it's trails, and some designs are inherently flawed. Two small companies now produce stainless steel versions of various outputs. Look up on You Tube a fellow with the alias Engineer775. He demonstrates two different commercial gasifiers and even a Dankoff Slowpump. His large gasifer can run his truck or a large generator for his home. If one is building their own and has too much tar, the cooling and filtering aspects of the design should be evaluated.

All I can say is WOW!! I have to say it again, WOW!!!!

You weren't kidding when you said you had time to prepare, you are just about the ultimate in prepared!!

I love the sound of everything you are doing and can't wait to see it all this winter. A couple thoughts:

1) An RV tech in Quartzsite should be able to make a few extra bucks on the side so come ready to work if you need to.
2) It's illegal to gather wood to burn in the desert so bring your own or be ready to buy it. It's usually $6 a bundle but you could pick up some for less at the Walmart in Parker, 40 miles north of Quartzsite.

See you this winter!
Bob

Hi Bob,

Love your site and the many helpful articles. Finding a community of hardcore RVer's, a good bunch a folks I will meet, is reassuring as well as educational. Yes, my biggest problem I can see is making money on the road, so I will come ready to work at Quartzite and take on wattever I can find, and stay the season. I'd like to do solar system installs as well. I've read that an RV tech is the job and Quartzite is the place. I have 35 years experience in the automotive world in various roles. I maybe able to show up no latter than January. I purchased the RV in May and should have done by Sept., but the Honda needs a head gasket and there is always more to do and stuff to sell. The process as you know takes lots of time.

It's also good to know that wood is expensive, so I'll use the Mr. Buddy heater I have and get the filter I just read about that is needed to run it from a bulk tank. I've discovered that it'll have to be run on a separate 20 or 30lbs tank as the coach's already pressure regulated 50 pound tank is too low in pressure to operate appliances that use Coleman fittings, unless of course one removes the regulator. Having a separate tank allows one to run into town for a refill, and leaves the coach tank for cooking.

Thank you for all the help. I'm looking forward to meet you as well.

Regards,
XXXXXXXX