Getting ready to get mobile

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianTraveler

Reaction score
hi everyone, Im from nova scotia canada and I am trying to come up with the money to purchase a vehicle to hit the road with. im hoping for my next cheque in about 20 days i will find something. My pension does not allow much for way of savings so I need to find something within my budget that I can use rent money to buy and just get out there. after paying bills i have $60 left for groceries and household stuff plus I have two dogs. they get thier food first so i am used to living on a tight budget. I dont have any vehicle now or id have been gone already. so my plan is to find something i can buy that i can use the least amount of my cheque as possible (1000) then get out. if I have to stay put somewhere in the vehicle for a month then so be it. then get what i need to in the following months (registration and insurance) and then i will save a few dollars to make the rtr in january. this will be my bday celebration i want to give myself.

I follow alot of videos on youtube and soaking up the information as much as possible. my only worry as a female traveller is vehicle repairs on the road. how do you all keep up with this if you know nothing about motors and such?

I am so grateful to all the youtube video makers that give thier knowledge to help those of us that are getting started. You have provide such a bright light in a dark exsistance when people like me feel trapped in thier lifecycle and see no way out. i am so looking forward to just being out in the freedom and space and meeting you along the way <3

Welcome to the CRVL forums CanadianTraveler! Please keep us updated on your progress towards van dwelling!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hopefully you can find a place you can stay safely while you save up. Don't be ashamed to seek charity or to use a shelter. Camping out on a friend's property would also be a good way to get started.

Welcome!

I'm a big proponent of having an emergency fund for repairs. Ideally, that would be enough to replace my van if necessary. I try to keep between $4 and $5,000. That said, I used every bit of my savings on a few back to back repairs and have not been able to save the way I usually can. I'm not trying very hard because I'm not currently on the road.

i just got some kinda good news :) ive had most of my belongings in storage when i went through a break up and had to move from a 3bed house into a one bed apt and have gotten a bit behind in payments. the guy has been really good about me making small payments tho but i had asked him if i could sell a few things and he offered to have an auction for me and since i was going to sell everything anyway this is a good chance to get the most money i can. he will get what hes owed of course but i will get what is left. i dont owe him a huge amount and i have some big things in there like brand new fridge, stove, washer and dryer... anyway once everything is sold i still should have a nice amount left over to start my savings or hopefully buy something mobile i can live in :) things are getting closer to the full time life :) im pretty happy progress is happening!

How awesome is that? Sometimes it's just a mindset to get things moving in the direction you need them to go!

Welcome again Traveler!
It's great that things are working your way .
Hope you get enough extra to get your "freedom wheels" !
If not , at least a good start towards that goal.