Getting ready to do this! Starting from scratch so to speak

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRuth

Reaction score
Good day everyone, like a lot of others I have been reviewing this website and forum for several days. Tons of great information and what seems to be a great group of folks here.

I'm in my mid 50's widowed and getting really really tired of the rat race. Yet I can't escape it completely, obligations etc, but I'm working on it.. I Live in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles . I also run my own computer repair business, as a single owner operator, a one man show at times can get really hectic. But I do love the work and being independent has it's bennies. I have no SS or retirement plans. So I will continue helping clients remotely while I'm on the road and this will be my means of income. Hopefully I can reduce the cost of living once I go full time.

I'm starting out part time as in couple days here and there on the road while I figure it all out. I have a 2007 Ford Van Std length that's an open canvas, no windows other than rear. It's only got 51K miles on it and like brand new still.The only thing I've done to it and that was when I bought it new was lay in a floor. It's a multi layer of refletix, 3/4" ply and indoor/outdoor carpet on the top. Runs back to firewall.

I'm going to have a ton of questions unless I find them in here first. I'm quite able to do the conversion work as I'm skilled in woodworking, electrical etc. So I'm the labor and tech :)

I'm really looking forward to this as well as making some new friends here and on the road. I'm in no hurry so the building will be slow but hopefully just as I need it.

I'm leaning a tad bit towards the semi office, desk maybe but I'm open to suggestions. I do want...Stove, Fridge, porta potty and bed that's convertible/couch(maybe). this doesn't have a bubble top so head room is tight.
I do want to remain completely stealth. The only exterior Item I'm thinking of attaching is a roof rack for possible solar use and occasional carrying of a large object, plywood sheet etc. Having the rack and covering it I think will do wonders to keep the interior heat down. Not so sure about the drag factor.

I'm starting to get a little long winded here and I need to discuss some more topics specifically which I will start separate threads.

Take Care, Mike R

P.S> Spell check generates an error message.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Mike! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you as you build out your van. You might want to consider attending the RTR this January too. Lots of good folks and good ideas there.

P.S. Thanks for the heads up on the error message.

Thanks for the welcome, I'm fairly adept at PC slang and such but RTR>?
you got me on that one, wonder if I'm gonna say DUH when I get a reply?

Mike R

Welcome. I'm new as well. Given the size of your van, you're going to have to get creative. If you build your bed high enough, you can fit most of your amenities under it and still have a desk space in the area between the bed and the front seats. A couch bed is a fairly simple design and can fold down for sideways sleeping or diagonal. With the porta potty under the front, you can pull it out and use it at will. Kitchen items can be under the back and accessible when you open the doors. Any quick food items can be stored in a small cooler near the front so you have quick access to them. Round it out with some clothing and storage compartments, a desk area (which can be combined with the bed as a couch) and you're maximizing your space nicely.

Picked up Two new T-105 Trojans with manufacture date of November 2014 :)
Wiring and related parts on the way, and tech drawing of custom battery tray in the works!
Slowly but surely getting things done.

Hi Mike, welcome! I look forward to your build thread, especially the house batteries and hookups, since I'm out of excuses not to get that started.

Latest posts