Getting my tiny home/ cabin Thursday!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them.

I've ordered the kids beds and the kitchen and bathroom will be finished soon, so we are all really excited about the cabin.

masterplumber said:
What Got Smart said. That would be the cheapest and quickest. If it were mine I might go a step further, and keep with the rustic theme - use a quality shower pan like a Floorstone brand, then do the walls in galvanized corrugated metal roofing. For the water supply the simplest would be to heat the water on the stove and put it one of those pump fertilizer sprayers. You can cut off the hose from the sprayer and rig up a connection to a shower head with an on/off valve to conserve water.

You had spoke earlier  of possibly wanting an instantaneous water heater. Be aware that they usually require a certain flow rate - more than all but the biggest RV pumps can produce.
I like the idea of galvanized corrugated metal for rustic looking shower walls. :) 
Has anybody toyed with the idea of using an R.V. 10 gallon water heater for this project? All you would have to do is locate your propane tank somewhere nearby. In fact, I like the idea of using an R.V. heater as well. At least in the bedroom.
I have been trying to gather idea's for a tiny house similar to what Rugster is doing to be used as a home base.

Rugster said:
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them.

I've ordered the kids beds and the kitchen and bathroom will be finished soon, so we are all really excited about the cabin.

Stay safe with the hurricane. Had some winds in my area but not bad.

Katewels said:
Stay safe with the hurricane. Had some winds in my area but not bad.

Thanks, it's heading directly at us. Just had an update, it's at 80 MPH now. Looking at the projected path, the eye should pass right over us.....

Schools have all been cancelled for today and Friday but it is still up in the air whether we have to go to work tomorrow.

Rugster, 

I have followed your build thread and gotten some great ideas. 

I haven't listen to the radio for days and no TV for 3ys.     I'm up by Ft Rucker AL. 

If it wasn't for the posting here I'd have no idea about the bad weather.  I hope you and your family get thru the coming storm, also everyone else in the area.

Jewellann

Rugster said:
Thanks, it's heading directly at us. Just had an update, it's at 80 MPH now. Looking at the projected path, the eye should pass right over us.....

Schools have all been cancelled for today and Friday but it is still up in the air whether we have to go to work tomorrow.

Stay alert to what it's doing, and stay safe.

Well, we made it through with no damage but power was out around 11pm on Friday and just now got it back. We had a generator so I was able to run my AC and tv for a few hours here and there but we should be good now.

Rugster said:
Well, we made it through with no damage but power was out around 11pm on Friday and just now got it back. We had a generator so I was able to run my AC and tv for a few hours here and there but we should be good now.
Good to hear everything is OK.

Wow, almost three months in the cabin and doing great. Still finishing up the build but it's very comfortable.

Not having a large mortgage or rent to pay every month is awesome. Having money left over when you get a pay check is also a nice feeling. Seeing your balance on your credits cards rapidly closing in on zero is also great.

Should be completely done in a week or so. The canvas drop cloths look pretty good and buying an electric staple gun was a very good way to spend $30 (Bostich brand, works great).

Rugster said:
Wow, almost three months in the cabin and doing great. Still finishing up the build but it's very comfortable.
<---- snip ---->
Should be completely done in a week or so.
Don't forget to post more photos of your progress. Sounds like things are going well. :)

Wow, it has been a while but things have been interesting.

I no longer live in the cabin, moved out around March, but lived in it for around a year and loved it. Never got everything finished but had everything I needed.

After a year apart, my wife and I reconciled and are doing great. Weird, never would have thought we'd be able to work it out but we and the kids are doing great.

As a matter of fact, she proposed moving back into the tiny house for a few months as the lease on the apartment she moved into is up in November, which is so close to Christmas. After thinking about the savings we would have, we are going to do it for four months or so, then move into a home that suits all of our needs.

So, I think I'll finish the small touches the cabin still needs and keep reading forums here, but now will be planning on part timing once the kids are in college.

Thanks for all of the assistance and friendship I have received on this forum, there are a lot of good people here.

Hey Rugster, great to hear from you. I was wondering how things had turned out. Thanks for checking in.

Latest posts