Funny how the mind works...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
I picked up some side work that I do on weekends...hate missing time working on the build, but can't pass up the $$$.

So instead I've been working on cleaning/organizing/downsizing stuff in my apt...makes me feel like I'm making some progress anyway.

And something has happened twice now that's kinda funny and I thought I'd share. Last weekend it was over an old leather bomber jacket I've had forever and haven't worn in 10 years.

Today it was my bed comforter...a favorite item that just will have no place in the truck build.

Both times while looking at the item, a thought has jumped unbidden into my head: "I can't get rid of that, I guess I won't do this after all" ...as in scrap this whole mobile living thing. And both times, my next thought has been "wtf?!?"

I like to think of myself as very secure and confident with my choices, but this just goes to show that fears and feelings of insecurity about the future will find the strangest ways to pop out, even when I pretend they're not there. Probably especially then...    ;)

I agree Brad, so many of the things I need to get rid of have some sort of memories for me and I find an excuse to keep them. New stuff I buy and find I don't use, I just give away, they mean nothing to me.

An afghan my grandmother knitted me is my most prized possession, worth nothing to anyone but me.

Rob

The human mind is hard to understand. Even our own when we at least think we know it better. Sometimes I say the same thing, I can't just go cross country for no reason other than to go. Then I say why not? I have before....

BradKW said:
Both times while looking at the item, a thought has jumped unbidden into my head: "I can't get rid of that, I guess I won't do this after all" ...as in scrap this whole mobile living thing. And both times, my next thought has been "wtf?!?"

Exactly, Brad. Although there are a lot of 'things' that are just things, there are also things that have meaning I don't think that's strange at all - I can definitely relate. Losing everything in a house fire is one thing, but losing everything by choice isn't easy. I had a big box of photos that I decided had to go. Almost a record of my life. I had no time to scan them, so had to close my eyes, grit my teeth and say goodbye. That was repeated a hundred times as I disposed of everything. Not easy at all.