Full Time Trepidation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanTrekker

Reaction score
For most of three years, I had been sleeping in a van and traveling around camping and fishing while also looking over Dad's affairs. Dad died at the end of November, the house is now sold, and in two weeks I'll be houseless! A friend is going to rent some space to me on his farm so there will be a "Green Acres" homebase.

It's a scary time in a way. There's always been a safety net till now but for the first time, it feels like being on my own - this time with no apartment or trailer house. Hopefully the coming days will go smoothly as I learn and adapt to living minimally in the country.

After having wanted to be a full time vandweller for years, the prospect of doing it fully is scary.... I'm worried to death about the safety of the two cats I'm love so much! Things will all work out... Hopefully these anxieties will pass.

Sorry for rambling so much. I'm wondering if others have felt this way.

they will pass...........little by little you will make new plans , do them and make new plans again!

I think we each get these feelings when we come out here.

life is all about how we live it ,the knowledge we find to increase it , and the adventures & lessons we pull from it!!!

sometimes the best adventures dont come with instructions and safety nets !!!!!!!!

I can only imagine how you feel, not having a safe haven to go back to if you're feeling home sick. Do you have a mother you can reach out to? If not, that is really rough, and being out there all alone can be fierce. I recommend getting a medium sized dog to keep you company, that truly helps those in need.

You'll be okay. You've been through a lot in the last few years and you've handled it very well. Everyone, whatever their circumstances and reasons for fulltiming vehicle dwelling, has some anxiety when they cut the final ties to a stationary home. You're probably in a better position than a lot of people because you have your van set up perfectly for you and you had a ton of experience living in it already. And spring is coming! Let us know how your new situation works out.

Brad;
I wish you the very best---I lost all my Family many Years back. Luckely I had my own place in the woods paid for. far from family home place. all was either thrown away or what ever happened to it-I wasn't a part of it.
now I'm on my "Green Acres" with (2) wonderful cats too.
but if I pass (who" will care for them.) I have no family or close neighbors of friends that want my place.so the state can do as they please with it.
take care. & take care of your self & the cats that love you.
sparky1.

I was in the same position as you. Pondered about going full time for the past 2 years. Just about agonized over it in the final weeks. Finally, I mustered up whatever courage I had, and gave my vacate notice to the landlord. I'm now doing the full time thing for nearly 2 months. Took a bit of tweaking in the first couple weeks, but I was able to adapt. So will you. As for your cats, I'm guessing they will be able to adapt also. Good luck!

I'm in the same position right now: finally headed out into the Great Unknown.

Sold my house last Oct. after being unemployed for over a year and no luck searching for a job. Since then, I've been living out in the country at my brother's place and working on getting my truck camper together.

I'm headed for the mountains the end of the month and will be full timing it at that point. Talk about "trepidation!" I guess my biggest worry is having truck problems on the road, although I've done my best to cover my *ss as far as that goes.

Anyway, I feel ya buddy! The prospect of just jumping out there is definitely sorta scary, especially if you've been living a relatively secure life doing the 9-5 for the past 30-40 years! At least you have some experience from the past couple years part timing. You basically know what to expect already. Best of luck!

A bit of your anxiety might be relieved by having a tow service plan.
We use CoachNet since its RV based and they will send out the BIG towtruck, not one for a car. Haven't had to use it, but its been a comfort to have them available. We've been with them for a year and received a nice discount to renew. We don't carry the top plan, as there are things there we don't need, like for world travel services and medical, etc.
They come highly recommended.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. There's been so much going on that the anxiety was through the roof this morning. I think adapting will be pretty easy - it's going to be harder on the cats than me. We'll get by. At least the van is viable and the finances are okay - two things that would have made it tougher.

Thanks again! Ya'll are correct - this is a terrific support network!

Brad and kitties Jesse James, and Serena.

I give you two weeks (MAX!!!) before you and the kitties are so comfortable at Green Acres you'll forget you ever had a single worry. You know this life and you know you love it.

i think youll be ok, you very resourceful to me and have tested the waters. i was nervous too, and still question myself sometimes, but always reaffirm my decision in the end. its been 9 months now and it hardly seems it :)

Stude,

I ordered one of those kennels. I plan to cover the top with plywood and use a tarp to help keep it cooler in there. I might also add a plastic dog house inside to give the kitties some privacy. Thanks for your suggestion - the protection from predators is a huge load off my mind.

Thanks!

VT

Latest posts