Foxtails

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SternWake

Reaction score
Here in San Diego, we have weeds called foxtails, not sure their latin name or other nomenclature, but they love to get caught in dog's fur, and can wreak havoc. I do not know the extent of their full geographical range.

I do not own a dog, but there is a dog I love who lives nearby where I park, and she started limping a few days ago.

Her owner and I had a close look at the paw, and found a foxtail still in her fur on the affected paw, and some others and thought we sorted it out.  Her limp mostly disappeared, but she kept licking her paw over the next few days.

Yesterday, I got a close look at her paw and it was infected and said to make an appointment with the Vet ASAP, Said I'd take her if the mother of 3 younguns was too busy, and so I did.

I told the vet about the foxtail we found, and removed from her fur days ago, and she knew that the issue was likely one had burrowed under her skin as she sees it all the time, and worse than just in the paw.

So We got her on the table and the Vet dripped on the Lidocaine on the raw wound, then injected some into it. 

She busted out some forceps and probed them deep in the wound, the business end going nearly 7/8th inches deep, and she said Ah haa, and pulled out a fox tail, by the very end of it, which was 3/4+ inches long and a bunch of puss and blood followed it.

The head of the foxtail had buried itself  at least 1.5 inches deep up in between her toes, into her paw.  Poor girl.

She behaved so well during this ordeal. She was nervous as dogs get at the vet, but smart enough to know we were trying to help her. The vet said we'd have to put the cone of shame on her to keep her from licking it, but then said they had no more in her size and that I'd need to get one at Petco.

While we were waiting on the paper work I made sure she did not lick her paw and irritate it, kept telling her that she could not keep doing that or she'd get and have to wear the cone of shame, and she seemed to understand and made no further attempts to lick her paw, but she did try and rub it with her other paw a few times.

Such a sweetie.  Here's a pic from when i got to take care of her for a few weeks last summer, and kept her overnight in the van with me:

20150725_235259%20copy_zpsisfx0qxp.jpg

USB fan on the belly:
20150804_012936_zpsaxnpcyd0.jpg

Hey, you know you want to throw this ball!:

20151007_113251_zpsepsi6pgi.jpg

I hope she heals up quick so I can throw the ball for her again.  

The foxtail weeds are pretty prolific right now, and I'll try to remove them and keep her away from them, and check her fur more often, but she listens so well she's got pretty free roam of the area, and her fur is a magnet for them.

The Vet bill was 325$

So, keep an eye out for this devil weed and search your dog's paws and fur for them:

http://agron-www.agron.iastate.edu/~weeds/Ag317-99/id/WeedID/Ffox.html

The Vet said she's seen them get into both females and male's Junk before too, and deep into the ears and noses too.

http://www.loveyourdog.com/foxtails.html

foxtails are the devil, If they get under the skin they can migrate throughout the body and wreak havoc on an animal. Long haired dogs are especially vulnerable and can get them in their ears.

There are many varieties.

foxtails.jpg

yep, foxtails are a bane for dogs. if in a foxtail area keep an eye on your dog, frequent inspection are needed. especially the ears. glad you handled it Stern. highdesertranger

What an ordeal, especially for her.  But glad she's better now.  I had to use the cone of shame on my cat once after the bandages were removed from a nasty wound she got in a cat fight.  She hated it so much I finally got a liquid from Petsmart to put on it to keep her from licking. She didn't like that either but it was so, so much better than the cone.

That's a really sweet looking dog. Good for you for being so nice to her. My dog died two years ago now and I have yet to replace him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I Went over to check on her this morning, and the swelling and redness was mostly all gone from her paw.

She's never comfortable with anybody holding her paws before, but today when I squatted down to check it, she held it up for me, and got ballistically happy when I told her how much better it looked, then she tackled me.

Foxtails, porcupine quills in noses and rattlesnakes. I've forgotten how much fun having dogs can be on the US mainland. And ticks. And rabies.

Cammalu, it took me years to finally get over a pet's loss, then they (yes, not one, but four critters) found me. No regrets. They add so much to one's life.

Sternwake, you are a dog's best friend!

325.00 dollars that is one heck of a bill for pulling out a splinter, that is f&*&@n ridiculous, unbelievable why does that vet think she is worth that much money, shame on her. Good on you SW for caring for a nice looking dog more then I can say for the vet.

flying kurbmaster said:
325.00 dollars that is one heck of a bill for pulling out a splinter, that is f&*&@n ridiculous, unbelievable why does that vet think she is worth that much money, shame on her. Good on you SW for caring for a nice looking dog more then I can say for the vet.

Probably use of anaesthetic, that's always the most expensive part.

Pet ownership isn't cheap, especially when they get old and sickly. The vet won't say it's time, they will run every test, prescribe every med and keep the dog alive forever. Try to put them down before they are just a pitiful excuse of a dog and they will make you feel bad as you are saying good bye to your friend.

It's one of the reasons we are not replacing our dogs. You don't notice as it builds up but start adding up the vet bills and it will make your jaw drop. Have three get old and sickly like we did and it cost thousands if you just can't bear to put them down. I should have put the last one down with her brother, that last 40 days cost us a grand.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend these. I've lived in areas with both foxtails and goat head thorns; These boots have been an absolute lifesaver as well as $$$ saver. They also did great at keep my girl's pads from burning on really hot (sidewalk, asphalt) days.

http://www.ruffwear.com/Products/dog_boots

Since I left foxtail country (mostly), I haven't had the problem, but a friend's vet recommended spraying the dog's feet with Pam baking spray. The grass awns have tiny barbs on them, and whenever they shift a bit, they move forward. The Pam supposedly makes the hair kind of slippery, and the barbs can't grip as easily.

Dogs that have hair in their ears (like poodles) have the most problem with foxtails in the ears. Most dogs that have bare skin in the ears don't have as much of a problem. Keep the hair pulled out with a pair of forceps.

Try to keep the area mowed so the heads don't form.