Found her, now I need to get her!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehellend

Reaction score
I've found my van, had her checked out by a mechanic, I'm more than satisfied with the price, and we've verbally agreed on a sale. I'm allowing myself tempered excitement until I bring her home. Thing is, she's 198 miles from my Knoxville home, in Petersburg TN, and I'm meant to be collecting her tomorrow at 7pm.

How do I do this? I have a car. I also have a friend willing to come with me. This gives us the option for my friend to drive my car back, while I drive the van. I'm slightly worried because the van's battery is sleepy, and will need a jump anytime the ignition is turned off. My car is also not the best condition, and I don't typically take it on long journeys because of that.

Another option is to tow the van back. The issue with this is that I've never towed anything before, and I don't know how to hitch it up. I don't want my new van flying off on the freeway and causing a massive pile up. 

Then there is the option of one-way car rental or getting a bus there. Both would leave me at least 30 miles from where the van is situated, and the owner is a farmer who cannot take the time to do a 60 mile round trip, which is understandable. Because of the location, getting a taxi or Uber will be in the realm of $80.

I'm open to anything. The only stipulation is that I have to work until 2pm tomorrow - I work remotely, so this doesn't have to be here in Knoxville. I can leave tonight/now if I need to.

Ideas? Concerns? Sympathies?

I was in a similar situation. I drove 3 hours to get my van. Took a one-way rental car and then walked 15 mins. The previous owner had a late shift and could only meet after 9 PM. Luckily, the rental drop-off location was not too far away.
I think your car and your friend seems to be the best option. You'll not be alone, whatever might happen. And just take your time.

By the way, I saw you can pre-book/reserve an Uber ride. I would do that, if you decide to go Uber.
Good luck and safe journey!

Thank you. I think so too. It's just so many moving parts and which is stressing me out. Deep breaths, time to realize this will be fine.

Good plan on the pre-book, I'll look into that as an option too.

My van was a 3 1/2 hour drive away when I finally found her.

My first trip was to look at it, I took a blank purchase agreement that I found on the internet with me and a substantial deposit, just in case!

As difficult as it was, it took me 2 weeks before I could go back and get her - I had a canoe trip planned for the first weekend that I wasn't going to skip and it took some co-ordination with a friend to find a suitable time to go get the van.

My nervousness wasn't over whether my old vehicle could make it, although they do seem to know when they're being replaced and start acting up....mine was over whether the new to me van would make it back home...it was 12 years old and had the original tires on it...sigh!

It made it but I had road service on speed dial if it didn't! I also made my friend *follow* me instead of leading.... :D

Hello there, first congrats on the purchase. If I was in your situation, I would rent a car for one day in Knoxville with unlimited mileage, maybe Enterprise? and take your friend with you to pick up the van. Have your friend follow you on the way back. This way if something goes wrong with the van, at least you have another person with you. If you really think the van's condition is not good enough to make the 198 miles trip, maybe find someone with a truck and rent a car dolly or trailer from UHAL?

I wouldn't go one way there solo knowing the van may have trouble making it back tho.

Friend has a truck, so while the mpg might be worse than a rental car, the cost will even out. I think we're going to have her drive her car and then drive in convoy home. Hell, maybe we can CB-radio chat on the way back :D

:)  Congrats on finding your van.  If it needs a jump to start it due to needing a new battery you might think about buying a new one before the trip back.  Auto Zone and some other places will install it with no charge.  I get my batteries and wiper blades at Auto Zone with free install and if I need to have a battery checked or even a faulty blade replaced there has been no hassle involved.  Do you know how to replace a vehicle battery?  Just asking...I know how if its simple, however doubt if I can fling one up there now.

I hope you have a safe trip!

Jewellann

x2 on getting the battery replaced. maybe sign up for triple A. highdesertranger

Txjaybird said:
:)  Congrats on finding your van.  If it needs a jump to start it due to needing a new battery you might think about buying a new one before the trip back.  Auto Zone and some other places will install it with no charge.  I get my batteries and wiper blades at Auto Zone with free install and if I need to have a battery checked or even a faulty blade replaced there has been no hassle involved.  Do you know how to replace a vehicle battery?  Just asking...I know how if its simple, however doubt if I can fling one up there now.

I hope you have a safe trip!

Jewellann

Thank you thank you! I had entertained that idea, I have no idea on installing a battery, but I could learn. How do I figure out what type I'd need? There's a V8 5.0L 525CCA AT and a V8 5.0L 540CCA Optional.... what do those numbers mean and how do I get them from my vehicle if it's not on the carfax?

Great tip on the Autozone, I didn't know that and will heavily utilize that in future :D

highdesertranger said:
x2 on getting the battery replaced.  maybe sign up for triple A.  highdesertranger

Husband is doing that today, so that'll be a bit of a stress reliever.

Option 1: Car & friend, and replace the battery.
Option 2: Bus+Uber/Lyft, jumpstart the van then straight to autoparts store for battery.

The consensus seems like 1 is easiest, and I'm inclined to agree. Also, I now realize that it's better for me to have company, given that I'm going to a farm in a town with like 500 people with a lot of cash and no phone service...

thehellend said:
I'm going to a farm in a town with like 500 people with a lot of cash and no phone service...

Every region is different pending on how people are.  I would be extremely cautions doing a cash deal on someone's farm.  If cash transaction is a must, I would arrange to meet at his bank during daylight hours or parking lot of a police department.  My last resort is to carry conceal.  These days I don't trust too many and just have to be extra cautions, I'm pretty sure this local farmer is ok and everything but always prepare for the worst.  I would also make sure the title is in his name and verify with his ID and signature.  I have had heard scams where family member make unauthorized transactions and later including you caught up in an ugly situation.

The title is in his deceased wife's name, I'm going to check with him and the DMV tomorrow, but I'm not sure the deal there? I'm worried what I'm reading is true, that he has the right to transfer title to him, but that he can't just sell it with dead wife's name on it. I'm quite stressed about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That could be tricky. I had a car given to me when a neighbor died. His wife went with me to the DMV before moving away. Shortly after the DMV decided something was wrong and I was never able to get the title in my name as she was then in New York. I ended up selling the car to a junk yard for $100.

Congratulations on finding your van!!! Don't forget to take her knitted blanket when you pick her up!!! ;-)

Do take the proper forms with you for an easy transfer of title......

https://www.tn.gov/revenue/article/vehicle-titling-current-residents

Be aware of the required mileage statement that the seller must sign.

In my experience the individual settling an estate as executor has power of attorney to sell items and disbuse funds as needed. The titles of real property do not need to be transferred into the executors name first.

Maybe ask the seller about his legal right to sell his wifes property?

Good luck!
Dave

is their a DMV near by,,if so tell the seller you will hand them the money when the DMV says the title is unencumbered.

caretaker said:
is their a DMV near by,,if so tell the seller you will hand them the money when the DMV says the title is unencumbered.

There is but they close at 5pm, and we don't meet until 7pm when they finish work.