Ford E450 V10 Starter Problem

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fearnoevil

Reaction score
I've been starting my E450 every 3-4 days just to keep the battery charged (let it idle for 15 - 20 min), and it hasn't had any problems, always starting up right away.
Then yesterday I tried to start it up and it doesn't even want to turn over, just makes a couple of click-clack sounds. I hooked up the battery charger and it read 55% so I charged it for a few hours, but even at 100% it does the same thing.

I even tried jumping it but no help. Btw I've removed and cleaned the battery connections and all the wires look good and no other corrosion anywhere. So the last thing I tried was to turn the ignition on and get under there and, using a screwdriver, I tried jumping the starter. But it just sparks and makes a click sound. Now I'm no mechanic so I can't figure out if there's another possibility that's the cause, or is it pretty good odds that the starter's gone bad? I appreciate any input ;?D

With luck it could be as simple as the solenoid gone bad. You can find out easily by putting a screwdriver across the two terminals. If the starter turns over it's the solenoid.
Bob

Can you start the bus with jumper cables?

If yes, then the problem is either the battery or the charging system.

If no, then it's most likely the starter, assuming the connection down on the starter to the starting wire hasn't come loose. Could also be a problem with the ignition switch or neutral safety switch - try starting it in neutral instead of park.

Regards
John

Well if the starter is clicking the ign. and neutral safety switch is good.

Try turning the headlamps on and cranking the engine. If the headlamps go out when cranking, there's a connection problem. If the lights are not effected, indicating no load, then the starter may be to blame.

There is one thing other you could try. Firmly tap the side of the starter with a hammer. It may just be stuck.

I've had a similar problem before, and it turned out that the starter had engaged the flywheel and the teeth on the starter drive became lodged there. One good whack and the starter freed up, and then worked fine.

Bob

akrvbob said:
With luck it could be as simple as the solenoid gone bad. You can find out easily by putting a screwdriver across the two terminals. If the starter turns over it's the solenoid.
Bob

Thanks Bob, but I believe that's what I did when I tried to jump the starter with a screwdriver, at least I think that was the solenoid. Can you bypass the solenoid and directly jump the starter itself?

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Can you start the bus with jumper cables?

If yes, then the problem is either the battery or the charging system.

If no, then it's most likely the starter, assuming the connection down on the starter to the starting wire hasn't come loose. Could also be a problem with the ignition switch or neutral safety switch - try starting it in neutral instead of park.

Regards
John

John, don't think it's the battery, charged to full plus tried jumping it so neither made any change at all. Tried it in neutral too :s

no you gotta get under the starter motor with a big hammer and physically whack it.

Stud Bob ;?D, thanks, I'll have to try that tomorrow (working the late shift tonite). So Will a big rubber mallet work or more of a ballpeen hammer? Keep your fingers crossed, lol.

Btw, once I get her running I want to change out the fluids, but I'm wondering if I should change the tranny fluid, it doesn't smell bad, but then I'm thinking would it be a good idea just to be on the safe side. Does anyone recommend a flush and then should I go with Mercon LV or a synthetic?

Ahh, thanks Wagoneer, so get a bigger hammer eh ;?D
I will try that tomorrow afternoon, thanks!

Much as I'd like to avoid it, to do it the best job do you suppose I should drop the pan on the tranny (check the magnets) after draining and put in a new transmission filter kit? I'm hoping you all say no, not necessary Russ, lol ;?D

First, I'm no mechanic, we are at the outside edge of my knowledge. On my Ford F150 the solenoid was up on the firewall, but I don't think that is the norm. I had a sporadic problem with the starter and so the mechanic replaced the starter and I still had the problem Finally he decided to check the solenoid by jumping it and it started right up. He said solenoids never went bad so he didn't consider it. Mine did.

That is everything I know!
Bob

Ballpeen, and not a small one.

Ring it like a bell. One shot should do it, if a stuck starter gear is the problem.

Good luck,
Bob

Aw shucks. you were the one, in my old 72 gmc stepvan I had the hammer at the ready and plenty of crawlspace to whack it, I hope that does the job.

akrvbob said:
First, I'm no mechanic, we are at the outside edge of my knowledge. On my Ford F150 the solenoid was up on the firewall, but I don't think that is the norm. I had a sporadic problem with the starter and so the mechanic replaced the starter and I still had the problem Finally he decided to check the solenoid by jumping it and it started right up. He said solenoids never went bad so he didn't consider it. Mine did.

That is everything I know!
Bob

Huh. Not much of a mechanic. I can tell you that in the twenty five years or so that I sold auto parts, I sold an awful lot of Ford starter solenoids.

Regards
John

older fords have a remote solenoid. they are great for replacing and great for thieves. that v-10 has the solenoid on the starter. if you have to hit the starter with a hammer you have a bad starter. it sounds like you have a bad starter anyway you look at it. not being on scene I can't be sure. on another note, v-10 oh boy I feel bad for you. good luck with that one. highdesertranger

whatsup with V10 I gotta v8 and trying to get back to inline 4 or 6

I will be bringing a bunch of hi-end solenoids to the next RTR

well a the very least 20% more parts to replace when you do a tune up and 20% less mpg compared to a v-8. if you think you need a v-10 for the extra hp or torque, you would be miles ahead with a diesel. highdesertranger

thank you, these gas guys gotta get a grip, wadda ye think runs the 18 wheelers, usually in line 6 diesels and the trains just bigger and ships crossing huge oceans.