Grumman P30 starter problems

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlH

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I bought it, my grumman sometimes wouldn't crank with the initial turn of the key. Trying again always did the trick, but in the last three days it's refused to start twice. Waiting ~1 hour "fixed" it, but in the meantime my husky and I were stuck by the side of the road.

The starter seems fine and has no trouble cranking the engine. And there's a nice solid 12.7V at the battery and all of the lights and indicators work.

What I do notice is a click that seems to come from the area of the starter when it fails to turn over. (It doesn't seem to be coming from the relays above the engine.)

Since I always lock the truck, I'd be fine with ditching the ignition interlock altogether if that were the problem, but it seems like it probably won't be that easy.

Any ideas?

It's the solenoid on the starter. Should be a separate unit piggy backed mounted on the starter.

The solenoid is what engages the starter gear to the flywheel and releases it when the key is released. The click is the solenoid getting a 12V+ signal, but unable to act on it.

May not need to remove the starter to replace just the solenoid. Do disconnect the battery first.

The starter is located close to the engine heat, a brutal spot. I did fleet maintenance for an estate, and worked in an auto repair shop. Replaced more than a few solenoids and/or starters.

If you’re handy you can possibly clean up the big copper washer and contacts in the solenoid. Some you can flip the big washer over and use the new surface. You may need to unsolder/resolver a wire to get new ones apart.

Also sometimes tapping the starter with a tire iron will get it to start, but eventually you need to replace it. This use to happen to me and I had to tap the starter almost everytime, but once even after tapping it , it refuse to start. I went and bought a new (rebuilt) starter and when I went under the car to remove the old starter I found the 2 bolts holding the starter had came loose, I tightened the 2 bolts and no longer had any problems, I carried the rebuilt starter just in case but never had to replace it.

These are thoughts in addition to those above, which are likely the cause.

I had this issue with a mini van. It was a loose connection at the starter that didn't look loose until you moved it around a little. Would start intermittently and finally stopped starting at all.

One thing that can happen sometimes is that the battery cables can corrode inside the insulation. You'll see good voltage at the battery, and at the starter end if testing. But when under a load it can't support it.

Thanks @wayne49, @bullfrog !, @jonyjoe303, @Happy Camper 👍

It's the solenoid on the starter. Should be a separate unit piggy backed mounted on the starter.
Yep, I think you're right about the solonoid being separate. There's a bulge on top of the starter, which sits right inside the engine hump on the right side and should be easy to get at.

Last edited:
These are thoughts in addition to those above, which are likely the cause.

I had this issue with a mini van. It was a loose connection at the starter that didn't look loose until you moved it around a little. Would start intermittently and finally stopped starting at all.

One thing that can happen sometimes is that the battery cables can corrode inside the insulation. You'll see good voltage at the battery, and at the starter end if testing. But when under a load it can't support it.
There are a couple of suspect connections on this one, so it's worth a look.

(I had no internet last night, and I had to take it to a mechanic for a different problem, so I am late checking messages here.)