Florida strategy with Thousand Trails

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goshawk

Reaction score
We are planning out winter 2018-2019 living arrangements in Florida. So far you can not get reservations in State Parks any more south of Orlando. You need to book twelve months before, or wait for a cancelation.

So am looking at Thousand Trails $575 platinum membership with the extra parks $200 fee. This gets you maybe six parks chance to stay 50 days with limit restrictions, and availability restrictions. (We think this is how it works). So that is $16 a day assuming you can get a reservation. Not too bad.

With TT we are willing to take chances with availability anywhere in the southeast during winter. It all works like TIME SHARE condo property kind of thing. So you need to be flexible.

Anyone else doing this? Would like that share tips and strategies on where you stay at what times.

It seems easy coast full time folks have a lot of challenges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Escapees have a Co-Op park at Wauchula that takes reservations and gives a 25% discount to first time members April 15 through November 15 that would be cheaper than TT maybe?

Life is better in the winter in Florida NORTH OF ORLANDO. The average temperature difference between Fort Myers and Inverness is only 5 degrees day and night with much less flying insect pests.

A older platinum membership your looking at is only 90 day advanced rez with a limit of two rez on the system at a time (up to 14 day stay ) but able to go park to park . unless it is a platinum plus then its 120 day advanced rez 21 day stay but had winter restriction of 14 day in florida . this membership only has 2 parks in florida orlando/wauchula . it would have to be upgrade for more .

the $200 kicker give you a bunch of encore (ELS) parks to use but are limited to use . only 60 day advanced rez with no park to park use . you could up to 14 days but would need to be out of encore system for 7 days before going to another encore park but can use a TT park in between.

a lot of the newer memberships are up to 180 advanced rez but limited to how many rez you can on the system (2 or 3) . 1st generation vip (before 7/2007) came with unlimited rez with 120 day advance ( a better used buy).

a old platinum to me is not worth buying if your looking to stay in florida for the winter in TT w/ $200. Depending on what the dues rates are your going to pay roughly $600 a year and it wont be frozen either. Is the $575 what there asking for it ? if yes then there is going to be a 750 to 1000 transfer fee on top of it . it can be used as stepping stone to a bigger plan . a 2000 Plymouth neon is not going to drive like 2018 caddy .

i know it confusing but there is lot more to it the what i can put here w/o writing a 10 page book. I been a TT member for 15 yrs got over $14,000 in my membership and know how the system works . Like everything else in life You get what you pay for .

jacks18614 said:
Life is better in the winter in Florida NORTH OF ORLANDO. The average temperature difference between Fort Myers and Inverness is only 5 degrees day and night with much less flying insect pests.

Makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk