Florida Gathering

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ziggy Moon

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!<br><br>Sorry, I've tried the search function, but nothing related to what I'm inquiring about, comes up.<br><br>I know there are at least a few Florida resident/rubber tramps on this forum, and I was just wondering if there has every been any of you who have gotten together in a way that is similar to the AZ Rubber Tramp Rendezvous? <br><br>If there has never been a group of Floridians getting together - and since I can't see myself being financially able to make the trip to AZ, at least for a year or two, or who knows when - are any of you interested in trying to set up a Florida Rubber Tramp Rendezvous anywhere in the state? <br><br>I'm not trying to step on any toes by suggesting this.... I just think it would be great for me to meet some of the community. I know it would be a great learning experience for me and possibly others, providing some of you more seasoned Florida vandwellers show up. But then again, if we're all inexperienced, so what - it could still be fun and educational.<br><br>I really hope someone is willing....... Anyone!?<br><br>

Yes, Ziggy Moon, I've been thinking about this too. I think we have a number of vandweller people here in Fla. I'm definately interested ! &nbsp;Duane

Great! Thanks for the quick response, signman.<br><br>Lets see if any other Floridians are interested.<br><br>By the way, I love the North Florida area (I believe your stomping ground).. I've lived in Monticello, Madison (Pinetta), Gainesvile, and Hawthorne. All are nice areas of Florida, IMO.

I live in Palatka area, grew up West Palm Bch, been in north georgia until 3 or 4 years ago. Maybe we could get together any ways. &nbsp;Duane

Hawthorne (my home from 91-93) is not very far from Palatka. I'm down in the Cocoa Beach area now, again (my home town, born and raised). <br><br>I think anywhere North of Ocala (or even Ocala NF) would be a great location for a group meet-up.

Ocala area sounds great for me, there ought to be others interested too. &nbsp;Duane

What time frame is being considered.<br>And, Ziggy did you know any of the Andrews family in Madison Fla?

Haven't even considered a time frame yet, Fireman. Yet, I didn't realize you lived in Florida? Are you interested?<br><br><span id="post_message_1278525563">Andrews family, </span>No! I wasn't there more than a year.

How about Orlando, Tons of things to do and see, central to all of Florida ?

maybe think a bit wider area? If you included the east coast maybe you would get a bigger crew together.<br>I am in MA and would definately try to come like half way. I am not sure where is half way between maine and florida... maybe north carolina<br><br>

Hi there, that's a great idea, we're a bit inland from Daytona Beach. It might be a good idea to make it after hurricane season. The summer might be too hot for those of us that don't have A/C.<br><br>Nicole

Ziggy, In your first post you asked if there were any Floridians that had gotten together like the RTR, Did you ever hear of the Tin Can Tourists? They had rallys back in the 1920's and thirtys. There's quite a history there. &nbsp; Duane

@ <strong>4btDonutRoller</strong> - Not sure about Orlando, not familiar with anything there but the toll booths, and theme parks.. there once was a park over there, that I remember from childhood - Boggy Creek! Yet I'm not sure if this is a Fee or Free park (I think FREE would be best for everyone)!? I know there are other places/parks over there, but I am just not that familiar with Orlando (been there often - but not to explore).... where would you suggest? <br><br>@ <strong>OnTheRoadAgain</strong> - At the moment, I'll have to limit my travels in my van (working out some mysterious mechanical issues that have been minor so far). However, anyone can suggest meeting up anywhere.... As far as meeting up in Florida, I just threw it out there, hoping to meet up with those in my home state... But, Anyone from Anywhere would be more than welcome, that's if the gathering does indeed happen. If there were a gathering in NC, I'd definitely try to make it, but I'm not sure if I could push the van that far, at least until I find out what's really going on with her.<br><br>@ <strong>SoxandNicole</strong> - Ah, but I love a good storm... lol. No, you're right, but remember, hurricane season lasts until the end of November (I think)... it's really not a big deal as long as we keep up with the weather forecasts. But, later in the year would probably be best anyway.... I have no A/C either - at the same time, the fall season in Florida isn't much better.... we'd just need to find a nice wooded and shady place to gather.<br><br>@ <strong>signman</strong> - Never heard of it, but I will Google it......... well, just did - Looks as though they (tin can tourists) are still active. More related to older travel trailers it seems... will have to read more.

<p>While we are still unsure of the dates, we will be in Florida this winter.</p><p>I think Ocala National Forest or private property would be the best bet. Ocala National Forest is free, can handle groups,is somewhat centrally located. I'd think the temps should be on par with Quartzsite.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Big Cypress National Preserve or the everglades are another possible option. They would be warmer.</p>

Hi all, Thought I'd bring this back up, I believe we have plenty of people here that might be coming to Florida when the weather cools a little, why not try to find a time that will work, or try with a small group more local ? &nbsp;Duane &nbsp;

These sites maybe helpful:<br><br><div id="overview_box_text_top" style="margin-left: 10px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: medium;"><h1 style="font-size: 1.4em;">Ocala National Forest</h1>This is a&nbsp;<strong>FREE</strong>&nbsp;campsite.&nbsp;</div><div id="overview_box_top_left" class="overview_box_left" style="width: 251.859375px; float: left; margin-left: 8px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: medium;">Ocala, Florida<br>GPS: 29.1304493, -81.6387787<br><a style="color: #556b2f;" href="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ocala,Florida&amp;daddr=29.1304493,-81.6387787" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Directions</a></div><div id="overview_box_top_right" class="overview_box_right" style="width: 246.71875px; float: left; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: medium;">Public - Forest Service (USDA) (Official)<br><a style="color: #556b2f;" title="http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/ocala/home" href="http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/ocala/home" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Website</a>&nbsp;</div><div id="overview_box_text_bottom" style="margin-left: 10px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: medium;"><p>The road in is&nbsp;<strong>Gravel</strong>. Ocala National Forest is open&nbsp;<strong>Year Round</strong>. The maximum RV length at Ocala National Forest is&nbsp;<strong>Little RV</strong>. You may stay<strong>14 days during a month</strong>&nbsp;at Ocala National Forest.&nbsp;</p></div><div id="overview_box_bottom_left" class="overview_box_left" style="width: 251.859375px; float: left; margin-left: 8px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: medium;"><strong>Activities:</strong><ul style="list-style: square inside;"><li>Hiking Trails</li><li>Swimming</li><li>Wildlife Viewing</li></ul><span style="font-size: 2em;">Shanty Pond- $8.00 a night</span><br><div id="overview_box_text_top" style="margin-left: 10px;">This is a&nbsp;<strong>PAY</strong>&nbsp;campground. ($12 or less)</div><div id="overview_box_top_left" class="overview_box_left" style="width: 251.859375px; float: left; margin-left: 8px;">Salt Springs, Florida<br>GPS: 29.3325653, -81.7313995<br><a style="color: #556b2f;" href="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Salt Springs,Florida&amp;daddr=29.3325653,-81.7313995" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Directions</a></div><div id="overview_box_top_right" class="overview_box_right" style="width: 246.71875px; float: left;">Public - Forest Service (USDA) (Official)</div><div style="clear: both; width: 514px;">&nbsp;The road in is&nbsp;<strong>Dirt</strong>&nbsp;and &lt;1 miles from a paved road. Shanty Pond is open<strong>Oct 15 - April 15</strong>. The maximum RV length at Shanty Pond is&nbsp;<strong>25'</strong>. You may stay&nbsp;<strong>30 days</strong>&nbsp;at Shanty Pond.&nbsp;</div><div id="overview_box_bottom_left" class="overview_box_left" style="width: 251.859375px; float: left; margin-left: 8px;"><strong>Amenities:</strong><ul style="list-style: square inside;"><li>Drinking Water</li><li>Restrooms</li><li>Near Water</li></ul></div><div id="overview_box_bottom_right" class="overview_box_right" style="width: 246.71875px; float: left;"><strong>Activities:</strong><ul style="list-style: square inside;"><li>Fishing</li><li>Hiking Trails</li><li>Hunting</li></ul><div id="overview_box_text_top" style="margin-left: 10px;"><h1 style="font-size: 1.4em;">Cobb camp</h1>This is a&nbsp;<strong>FREE</strong>&nbsp;campsite.<br><p>&nbsp;Lake City, Florida</p></div><div id="overview_box_top_left" class="overview_box_left" style="width: 251.859375px; float: left; margin-left: 8px;">GPS: 30.2439423, -82.4278412<br><a style="color: #556b2f;" href="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Lake City,Florida&amp;daddr=30.2439423,-82.4278412" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Directions</a></div><div id="overview_box_top_right" class="overview_box_right" style="width: 246.71875px; float: left;">Public - Forest Service (USDA) (Official)</div><div style="clear: both; width: 514px;">&nbsp;The road in is&nbsp;<strong>Gravel</strong>&nbsp;and 1 miles from a paved road.</div><div id="overview_box_text_bottom" style="margin-left: 10px;"><p>&nbsp;<strong>Amenities:</strong></p></div><div id="overview_box_bottom_left" class="overview_box_left" style="width: 251.859375px; float: left; margin-left: 8px;"><ul style="list-style: square inside;"><li>Restrooms</li></ul></div><div id="overview_box_bottom_right" class="overview_box_right" style="width: 246.71875px; float: left;"><strong>Activities:</strong><ul style="list-style: square inside;"><li>ATV Trails</li><li>Hiking Trails</li><li>Hunting</li><li>Wildlife Viewing</li></ul><div id="overview_box_text_top" style="margin-left: 10px;"><h1 style="font-size: 1.4em;">Wiggins Hunt Camp</h1>This is a&nbsp;<strong>FREE</strong>&nbsp;campsite.<br><p>&nbsp;Olustee, Florida</p></div><div id="overview_box_top_left" class="overview_box_left" style="width: 251.859375px; float: left; margin-left: 8px;">GPS: 30.2439957, -82.5306244<br><a style="color: #556b2f;" href="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Olustee,Florida&amp;daddr=30.2439957,-82.5306244" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Directions</a></div><div id="overview_box_top_right" class="overview_box_right" style="width: 246.71875px; float: left;">Public - Forest Service (USDA) (Official)<br><a style="color: #556b2f;" title="http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/osceola/recarea/?recid=75107" href="http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/osceola/recarea/?recid=75107" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Website</a><br>386-752-2577</div><div style="clear: both; width: 514px;">&nbsp;Wiggins Hunt Camp is open&nbsp;<strong>Year Round</strong>. You may stay&nbsp;<strong>14 Days</strong>&nbsp;at Wiggins Hunt Camp.</div><div id="overview_box_text_bottom" style="margin-left: 10px;"><div id="overview_box_text_top" style="margin-left: 10px;"><h1 style="font-size: 1.4em;">Withlacochee River Park</h1>This is a&nbsp;<strong>PAY</strong>&nbsp;campground. ($12 or less)<span style="color: #ff0000;"> actually the site says "Primitive campsites available in various locations around park. Free permit required to camp. Obtain from park office."</span><br>Unknown&nbsp;</div><div id="overview_box_top_left" class="overview_box_left" style="width: 251.859375px; float: left; margin-left: 8px;">Dade City, Florida<br>GPS: 28.3397694, -82.1200638<br><a style="color: #556b2f;" href="http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Dade City,Florida&amp;daddr=28.3397694,-82.1200638" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Directions</a></div><div id="overview_box_top_right" class="overview_box_right" style="width: 246.71875px; float: left;">Public - County Park<br><a style="color: #556b2f;" title="http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/areas/withlacoocheeriverpark.html" href="http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/areas/withlacoocheeriverpark.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Website</a><br>(352) 567-0264</div><div style="clear: both; width: 514px;">&nbsp;</div><div id="overview_box_text_bottom" style="margin-left: 10px;">&nbsp;<strong>Amenities:</strong></div><div id="overview_box_bottom_left" class="overview_box_left" style="width: 251.859375px; float: left; margin-left: 8px;"><ul style="list-style: square inside;"><li>Playground</li><li>Near Water</li></ul></div><p>&nbsp;<strong>Activities:</strong></p><div id="overview_box_bottom_right" class="overview_box_right" style="width: 246.71875px; float: left;"><ul style="list-style: square inside;"><li>Boating</li><li>Fishing</li><li>Hiking Trails</li></ul></div></div></div></div></div><br><br><br>

Ahhh ♥♥♥Research♥♥♥<br>Love it! One of the main reasons I'm here and if I can contribute (novice that I am) in any small way, I will.

There is a southeast vandweller GTG (get together) group. Anybody have that link? They are doing quite a few events.

Latest posts