floor mat type thing while boondocking?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rackley

Reaction score
I am thinking of rigging up a canvas drop cloth to use as a kind of mat while boondocking. I mean I can always just throw out a tarp and say "hey there we go!". But I think that would make a bit of noise. Has anyone done this? Or am I just crazy?

There are specific mats made for RV'ng which no matter what you're driving or sleeping in, is basically the same thing as what we do.

Canvas will kill any grass that's growing where you place the canvas. It also won't shed water well and will weigh a ton if you have to pack it wet. A regular tarp turns into a good slip and slide when wet...don't ask me how I know that... :rolleyes:

Here's a link to a whole bunch of the mats on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Rv+patio+mats

Pick your size and pattern! Some people buy larger and cut it in two. The ground stakes aren't totally necessary, a rock on each corner or anything else that will weigh it down will work as well.

They shed water, allow the grass to live and pack small.

0.o I never knew there was such a thing.... I wonder if harbor freight sells something like this.

You can find them at most garden departments, like Wally's. Some are labeled beach mats rather than RV.
We also use a plastic grid at the door to scuff our feet off.

As a Kid my Dad and I camped and fished.  He found these runner mats that were used in businesses that had tile floors for when it was winter slush weather.  People always tracked that into stores and it made a mess.
These 4 ft wide by 8 ft long mats had a thin carpet pile on one side which gave shoppers a grip on slick floors.

Most businesses changed them from year to year and Dad found a few and brought them home.  So we would
lay them out under the umbrella Tent to protect the floor of the Tent from anything on the ground that would
cut the heavy canvas.   We had one for the front of the Tent also that was covered by the door cover that served as an awning.   These were rolled up and tied and stowed in the small utility trailer we towed behind the
Station Wagon  back then.  

Later Dad sold the trailer and station wagon and got the Van that we used afterwards.  We kept the carpet runners but only used one at a time.  Left the others back home. But it was nice having beside the Van
with the dining fly next to the Van.

I would imagine that if a Guy found a building being torn down that had a rubber roof,  he could get enough to make a 5 X 7 mat and find a 5 X 7 piece of area carpet to lay atop that.

Some sort of carrying bag would be nice for when you have to store it.

I have the short plastic green "grass" carpet from the home improvement store. I can hose it off as needed and when it gets too shabby, toss it and buy another one. I think the 6X8 cost $20. It is split lengthwise into two 3X8 pieces (or is it 10 ft long?). I think the two pieces will be more convenient for me as opposed to a larger single piece.

a couple of years ago Big Lots had small rugs like the RV matts they were like 10 bucks. I almost bought a couple. you might want to check stores like that. about 15 years ago a buddy of mine got a bunch sheets of Neoprene the type they make heavy wet suits out of. they are about 4"x6" I have 2 left. I use these. they are the best thing I have found. they are soft, waterproof, and surprisingly tough. I wish I would have kept all the ones I got. highdesertranger

I carry a canvas painter's tarp and use it all the time. I stake it down with some 12" roofing nails. Both are very cheap, take up little space, and can be found at any big hardware store. The tarps can be hosed down or run through a washing machine, or just toss it and get a new one when it's sufficiently trashed.

I saw a thing on FB yesterday where they essentially made clothing water repellent (I'm going to try it with some t-shirts). I don't know how long it lasts but if you are using painters drop cloths (which get nice and soft when washed) you might want to try it...

How to make toddler clothes indestructible:
1/4 cup dish soap
10 ml WD-40
5 second spray of 3m Super 77 spray adhesive
Combine. Add to washing machine along with clothes. Wash 6 minutes & dry.

some of the painters drop cloths have like a plastic coating on one side. however it's not very durable even when used as intended(drop cloth) the coating only last a couple of months. I read a couple of months ago how you mix 100% silicone caulking with mineral spirits and paint it on. a search finds several recipes for this. highdesertranger

I currently park on Dirt.

To keep the majority of dir off my Van floor, I use this as an Entrance mat inside my Van:

http://www.amazon.com/Crown-MASR42-...06783691&sr=1-20&keywords=rubber+mat+flooring

When new it was kind of stinky despite several washings of the mold release agent and kept it outside below my side doors, but now I can barely smell it with my nose right next to it, and keep it inside.

It is nearly 1 inch thick and can hold lots of Liquid. I often get out of my wetsuit on top of it and the rest of my van floor stays dry.

Homedepot sells a recycled rubber matt 2x3' for under 10$ which is pretty good, and I keep that on the dirt, and sometimes place it on top of the other mat if I go elsewhere.

Together they keep my van floor pretty durn clean.

I have staked a tarp down in the past to help keep down dust. Sweeping off a tarp makes more sense than sweeping dirt, and dropped things do not disappear never to be found again.

is there an issue with a common house welcome mat?

not a big fan just another thing to deal with I remove my sandals brush off my feet and step onto 19th/20th century persian carpet. I was parked near a guy that was constantly sweeping debris of the rv tarp wosh wosh wosh. OMG stop it already. LOL

I sold thes at flee market for several years far as I know only east of miss river . when I was selling them their was about 30 different ones