Fishing!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssminnow

Reaction score
Do any of you folks go Fishing in your spare time?
Being from MN I'm a little spoiled with all the fishing spots up here.
There's nothing better than frying up some shore lunch while sitting by the lake!!
I will not be leaving here without some fishing gear, that's for sure.
Is there any decent fishing in the river down by Quartzite?, Panfish?, Walleyes?
All I really hear about is Trout.

Trout is most prolific species in the west but they vary in size and taste. And pound for pound they give a good fight.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

oh heck yea on fishing. we fish from our kayaks all the time. off the shore of our campsites all the time. surf fishing at the beach. we carry our fishing gear, it is part of us, something we absolutely enjoy in our life and we ain't being without it ever. no matter where we are we find a great fishing spot :)
can't tell ya about Q but don't leave fishing gear ever behind, ya never know what spot you might come upon at any time!

Minnow. I fish quite a bit. Done a lot in MN, ND, and Canada. I’m bringing my fishing gear and gonna spend some time around Lake Havasu. They have some big panfish up there. Let me know if you find other places

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m from Missouri so I’m a big crappie and walleye guy too. Just checking a minute ago. Supposedly there are crappie and walleye in the Colorado river which we’ll be within a few miles of

Seems to me that I remember hearing of a 5 lb. sunfish coming from lake havasu! OMG! That was quite a while ago and i thought i heard it was a world record.

RoamerRV428 said:
oh  heck yea on fishing.  we fish from our kayaks all the time.  off the shore of our campsites all the time. surf fishing at the beach.  we carry our fishing gear, it is part of us, something we absolutely enjoy in our life and we ain't being without it ever.  no matter where we are we find a great fishing spot :)
can't tell ya about Q but don't leave fishing gear ever behind, ya never know what spot you might come upon at any time!
If you ever need help cleaning your fish, I be there!! :)

Is there a universal fishing license that is recognized in all states to prevent park ranger/game warden hassle ?

no universal license. I use to fish all the time but the cost of out of state licenses has pretty much put a dampener on my fishing. I still carry my backpacking pole and reel. highdesertranger

I've spent my entire life fishing and thinking about fishing while awake.

I've wanted to go to Minnesota fishing since i was probably 10-years old, but never found out where to go there.

The very best place I've found lately is Arkansas. It's a sportsman's real paradise, and I know exactly where to catch em.

Anyone want to do a fishing TRIP TRADE next spring or summer?

Steakchaser said:
Yeah. I tried to look it up. I think the Arizona non resident license was 55 dollars

Not a bad price if you plan on Wintering for 4-5 months.

Riverman said:
I've spent my entire life fishing and thinking about fishing while awake.

I've wanted to go to Minnesota fishing since i was probably 10-years old, but never found out where to go there.

The very best place I've found lately is Arkansas. It's a sportsman's real paradise, and I know exactly where to catch em.

Anyone want to do a fishing TRIP TRADE next spring or summer?

Hey Riverman, I don't have a boat so it would be difficult to take you out. If you have a boat I could get you on fish until you were sick of catching
them. If you want to come up fishing in late May or early June they're pretty much biting everywhere. A good trip for you would be MilleLacs Lake. You could probably drive your rig up and rent a boat and motor and  catch 30 to 40 Walleyes in the 2 to 9 lb range a day and the smallmouth bass fishing is phenomenal also. The indians pretty much control the harvest on the lake so you may only be able to keep one Walleye but it will be enough to get a meal for two. (2 or 3 LB's) I think that all smallmouth have to be thrown back before July 4 but you will catch a lot of them (2 to 8 LB's ) whenever you fish. Let me know if you want to come up and i will get you set up for a great time. There are thousands of lakes with great fishing. If you want to keep more fish we can go to a different lake. The sky's the limit!!! I'd love to help you out! :)

Steakchaser said:
Yeah. I tried to look it up. I think the Arizona non resident license was 55 dollars

Usually you can buy a 3 day or a week license also. :huh:

Hey Minnow... I have a boat and can travel.

I will pm you later tonight.

THANKS

RoamerRV428 said:
you can clean them any time for me minnow :) :)

There will be a piece of fish cost involved you know. My Electric fillet knife loves getting fish for his Master. :shy:

What I do is since I am an Arizona resident I buy a resident fishing license with a Utah stamp since most my summer is spent on the North end of Lake Powell. The fishing on the Colorado River can be life time great. I can also attest to Arkansas fishing as at one time I worked at Greers Ferry Hatchery for the federal Fish and Wildlife rasing rainbow trout for the Little Red River and fished Greers Ferry Lake but that was 40 years ago. You could catch Large Mouth Bass on a regular basis and at the dam deep water Pike. I would think it has only gotten better over the years. Lake Powell and many of the resevoirs/lakes that are formed by the Colorado River rise and fall with water flow and due to the drought the water level has mostly been falling the last few years which has caused a great decline in cover other than tumble weeds. Wayneswords.com is the web site / forum of the main fisheries biologist for the state of Utah. By joining that forum you can learn or ask anything about the Colorado River and get all the information you will need. The Red Eared Sunfish is one of the few fish able to eat the invasive Quagga Mussel which the Colorado River is being over taken by and yes there are 5 lb. fish being caught. Lake Poewll has so many fish that it has special limits if that gives you any idea how good the fishing is. No limit on Stripped Bass, no limit on Walleye (April to May the best times), 25 Catfish (possesion), 20 Small Mouth Bass, 10 Croppie ( I have seen several 16"), 5 Large mouth (Tournament large fish hve been up to over 6 lbs.), Trout , Pike and Sunfish/Bluegill (more of these lately) have been caught on the lake but rarely and mainly at the northern end ( the lake is about 165 miles long at this water level and still rivals the California coastline in milage if you include lake level river coves which are several miles long). No live bait is allowed but other than that just about anything else is including artifical lights (green lights). Stripped Bass showed up late this year to the docks and we locals willing to brave the cold temps at night have been getting 15 to 20 Stripped Bass weighing from 1 to 3 lbs in about 3 or four hours each night. PM me if you get this way. Fishing the lower Colorado gets crazy because of the California restrictions on some areas of the river.

Minnow I will gladly always give ya the whole smallest fish in the batch I catch....:) :) Your electric filet knife is always welcome!

Latest posts