First Aid Re: Hydrogen Peroxide

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read of some people having bad reactions to Neosporin too.  I use it and have no problem. 
I keep a bottle of Povodone Iodine too, and have used it for a relatively light skin infection.  It worked, though of course another product likely would have been better.  But it worked well to clean the area, before applying an antibiotic salve.
I wanted to try this as an 'emergency' application, in case of a situation where I am not able to get to a doctor or clinic.  I did watch it carefully, in case it worsened and I did need to go in. 
It helps to have a pretty strong constitution too.  I have always healed quickly.

Canine said:
What I would really like to see any of you take away from this is taking a first aid class.

I will never remember anything from the two first aid classes I have taken. My memory is shot. On the other hand, keeping a good first aid book on hand is even better. Knowing what to do or where to find info is better than relying on my memory.

BTW, I know what to do in case of an epileptic seizure. My daughter is an epileptic as is one of my cousins. Clear everything from around them and let the seizure take it's course. Never stick anything in their mouth. Do not hold them during the seizure. Do not restrain them in anyway.  Just try to keep them find hitting their head on something hard (like the floor). After a seizure is over, many people are disoriented. I have found stroking an arm and telling them they are okay repeatedly seems to be helpful. Do not over react. Having a seizure in public seems to embarrass many people. DO NOT MAKE A BIG DEAL OUT OF WHAT HAPPENED!!! (they leave that part out of first aid classes).

My impression is that modern first aid courses seem to be based on the theory that you only need to know what to do until the 911 responders arrive.  This may be enough for the urban stealthers here.  For the serious boondockers, I would suggest following up on this course with a wilderness first aid course, which assumes that professional help could be hours or even days away.

Regards
John

janncoo said:
Recent studies and opinions seem to agree that the best way to clean a wound is with normal saline(0.9%) solution or water. Hydrogen peroxide may destroy certain healthy cells needed for wound healing thus prolonging the healing process. I have also used hydrogen peroxide to clean a wound but will probably rethink this due to more recent studies. Medical treatment is ever evolving. I am also a retired RN. :) Jan

I am an EMT-IV and I was taught this as well. New studies show it kills the tissue so you are not supposed to use it on deep wounds. That being said, I keep it on hand because in a pinch, you do not want to leave a wound dirty. Last summer I cut my leg pretty deep camping and had nothing on hand but peroxide and Vodka which I used until I could get home to some saline. It (peroxide) wont kill you but if you have saline use it. Sterile saline is what is advised for cleansing wounds these days. I asked my doctor when he looked at my cut about the peroxide and he said it is better to clean it with peroxide if that is all you have rather than leave it dirty. I gashed my leg to the bone on a guard rail I was climbing over and wasn't taking any chances with a cut from metal. I also poured 90 proof vodka on it. But, not saying anyone else should do that :)

Yes, H2O2 can be irritating to tissues. It is also an effective disinfectant. Sterile saline is only sterile until you open the bottle. I have a few plastic capsules of sterile saline but these are not something found in every drug store. If I incur a fairly superficial wound--a bad scrape, for instance--where there is likelihood of bacterial contamination, I will use dilute hydrogen peroxide [H2O2] as the foaming action helps to clean out the contaminants. I would not use H2O2 in a wound dressing nor in a deep wound.

hahaha, SSW I thought you were going to say you used the Peroxide on the cut and drank the Vodka. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
hahaha,  SSW I thought you were going to say you used the Peroxide on the cut and drank the Vodka.  highdesertranger

HaHa!! I don't like vodka HDR but I did stop a drunken group of Paramedics from stitching me up with fishing line who were drinking the vodka!!! I love a good trauma as much as the next EMT but I draw the draw the line at fishing line stitches by drunken off duty medical personnel if I am close to a real hospital with sober employees :D Not that I went to the hospital (nice scar to prove it) but I stopped the bleeding and managed til Monday which by then it was time for an extra tetanus shot and some serious antibiotics. This is why you should not treat your own wounds when you are drinking, boys and girls. Trust me on this one. LOL

It's a topical penicillin creme that has penicillin in it and it works extremely well. It's $5 at almost all the pharmacies in Algodones. But its for after you've cleaned the wound.
Bob

Check the drug counters for saline nose spray, plain saline type. Very easy to find. Ocean is one brand of sterile saline in a small bottle. Another one comes in a pressurized container.

Saline will clean and is very safe to tissues but will not disinfect a wound. Most wounds do not require disinfecting but I will take my chances with peroxide on those that do.

I think of iodine as old time so it isn't on my radar. But if it's what surgeons are using it must be good So is this a good one for the first aid kit?

http://amzn.to/1llGoFY

In the reviews someone wiped it on their arm pots and said it eliminated body odor.
Bob

That is Povidone. Excellent for sanitizing skin before surgery or for burns. Leaves a stain. For deodorant I use hand sanitizer. Or wet-ones. The Iodine in my medical chest is the one with a skull and cross bone on the label. On common type small wounds it prevents infection and I find it promotes healing. Just pour it right in.

I seldom use an antiseptic.I sometimes use hydrogen peroxide to clean my ears.Vic says it's a waste of time,since I never listen to anybody anyway.

Bob Dickerson said:
I sometimes use hydrogen peroxide to clean my ears.Vic says it's a waste of time,since I never listen to anybody anyway.

Haha, we thought my mother was the same way! We all know she never listens to what we have to say and certainly wouldn't take any advice from us.

But over the past few months I definitely noticed that I had to speak loud, slow and clear to her for her to hear anything. When she was in the hospital my bro sarcastically suggested she clean her ears to which she proudly replied that she hadn't cleaned her ears in years... :rolleyes:

I had the Dr. check to see if there was so much wax build-up that she couldn't hear...Nope, she's going deaf. The chances of her getting a hearing aid are about zilch...too proud to admit to hearing loss and too cheap to spend the money for a hearing aid even if she admitted to being deaf.

On topic, if I use any antiobiotic it's in the form of a cream. Mostly I use a cream that a naturalist gave me.

Everything has its uses. That said, hydrogen peroxide doesn't have any for vandwelling. It is a far inferior topical medical treatment than betadine. 

Furthermore, for years I was told that the bubbling which occurs when you use hydrogen peroxide is from it killing germs (many of you likely learned the same). The reality is that the bubbling is caused by it destroying tisse. 

I keep a very large batch of medical equipment on the ranch. Another kit in the apartment, in the vehicles, and in my hiking gear. 

Those kits are mostly based on my time in the Army and seeing what is and isn't practically useful. 

For abrasions and burns all the kits include alcohol prep wipes and iodine (or betadine) wipes. The large kits have bottles of both.

Remember, there is no replacement for Research, Training, Planning, and Practical Experience. 

"Well, I've been doing it for years" is not a valid reason.

Gideon33w said:
"Well, I've been doing it for years" is not a valid reason.

I've also heard, "Well, my grandpappy done it, my pappy done, and, by-gum I'm gonna do it, too! And you can't-not tell me no nevermind anyhow."

Meh. As long as no one smears their home remedies on me when I need first aid, they can do what they want.

There is certainly some truth in that mindset and time-and-time again many old wives tales have been proven true. The medical field is not typically one of those areas though. More importantly, why would you use a questionable remedy or treatment when a proven option is equally as available?