Using Hydrogen Peroxide to Clean Blood Stains

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canine

Reaction score
I thought about putting this in personal hygiene, but since H2O2 is so biodegradable, I put it here. It is one of the most biodegradable products that I know of.

I got bit by a dog, so I put the blood to use for this test. I used a pair of light blue underwear to blot up some blood. This way if the stain doesn't come out or I bleach the underwear, no one will see it.

Ahem. I just indirectly admitted something I really didn't want to share. Oh, well!

Recently, I had a blood stain and nothing I had on hand (Dawn dish soap, Dr. Bronners, Campsuds) would get it out. I ended up using Tide and that worked. But since Tide isn't biodegradable, I didn't want to rely on that.

After letting the stain set in for a couple of weeks, just before putting it in the laundry, I spritzed it with hydrogen peroxide. It fuzzed right up. Nice. I spritzed again, rubbed a little, spritz, rub, and it quit fuzzing. Put it in the laundry and it came out perfectly clean with absolutely no signs of bleaching. It took all of 15 seconds to treat the stain. No soaking or waiting. Could not have asked for better results.

I may try to treat other organic stains. H2O2 sucks on stuff like oil, but stuff like blood is great. Maybe grass stains now that I think about it. I am going to have to rub my undies in the grass and see if I can get that clean.

This works as Hydrogen Peroxide is an oxidizer it is a chemical reaction with the iron in the hemoglobin. It is also an exothermic reaction and depending on your strength of hydrogen peroxide and the material involved can have a thermal runaway and combustion

The H2O2 from the store is 3%. I used some in a treatment plant that was 50% and would burn skin.

Girl Talk

I know this is TMI for some but fact of life, works very well & worth the mention. Great information for Men who want to be aware of what women in their lives may need - partners, siblings, coworkers, or daughters (especially single/divorced fathers).

I use reusable feminine hygiene products - Rinsing/Soaking with 3% H2O2 + warm H2O is a god send for spot cleaning, cleaning or sanitizing such things as sponges, pads/tampons & clothing. After soaking, my products look BRAND NEW!!!! Then I clean & rinse with Dr Bronner's soap.

But H2O2 is also good for any of the body's mucus membranes in the right amounts. So if some is left behind it'll likely help rather than harm...

Thanks for sharing

Yes I know that my response is coming 2 years late. I was just browsing some of the old threads for bits of info and came across this doozy!!

Without question this is a very bizarre thread. Super creeped out by it.

So.. some dude? posts that they got bit by a dog and smeared the blood on light blue underwear to test if peroxide would remove it.... (just for shyts and giggles?)... Seems any kind of rags/dishcloth/scrap cloth would be better suited for a stain test.

If I misunderstand and it is indeed a female speaking about menstrual stain.. I am surprised they haven't learned long ago how to deal with that. I have 2 sisters...AND a mother... Pretty sure they have had this issue for years and have tested many things.

Any "cover story" about smearing blood from a dog bite onto underwear is just plain @zz bizarre.

Forums have some weird stuff on them.  I don't think I will browse around anymore.. who the hell knows what is going on in the next thread over???...yikes@!!

Oxy-clean types bleach product does the same thing.

I use laundry detergents that have enzymes in it, that will take out many types or organic stains including ones from food, grass, blood, coffee, etc. Getting stains out of clothes used to be a lot more difficult before they came out with the enzyme laundry products.

I know its no 100% but I am amazed at what the sun does to many stains. And - there is no dryer sheet that can make your laundry smell better than grandma's old fashioned wash line.

I much prefer naturally dried clothes, and I hate the stank of dryer sheets. never use them. highdesertranger

Count me as a person who loves the scent of sun dried clothes.

And don't forget, you can air out your bedding in the sun just because, no washing required, and it will smell pretty darn good.