Rosacea what it is and what OTC to get rid of it

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maki2

Reaction score
If you have Rosacea and have not kept up on the news about it in recent years... This is a long post but there are a number of things you can do to get Rosacea under control with OTC products.

They have found the cause of Rosacea. It is caused by bacteria that live inside of tiny microscopic sized Demodex (spider) mites. They are very common, most people have them but of course you can't see them without a microsope. Because they feed off the oils which are part of of skin covering system people who have oily skin are more prone to getting Rosacea. The mites feeding on the oil and dead skin is not the issue, that is causing no harm to us. They live inside of your hair follicles and sebaceous glands. Their life cycle is about 2 weeks, when they die the bacteria in them is released and causes an immune reaction in our bodies which is what is creating all that redness and thickened skin layer.  Sun exposure, alcohol and stress can all increase flareups. Sun exposure is certainly going to be more of a problem when you live a life where you are outdoors more than the average person. Remember there is no cure, you can't permanently get rid of  mites, but you can keep them under control so that you don't have that awful red look on your face. This really is a personal hygiene routine that some body types will have to pay more attention to than others.

So what can you do about it without going to a doctor? Is it possible to treat it at home with over the counter products?  Yes it is, but in some cases you do need to see a dermatologist. Some people have hypersensitivity to the mites themselves, people with compromised immune systems also need the care of a physician as they may have a more severe reaction to the bacteria in the mites. OTC treatments may never be sufficient for those individuals. As always some people will have allergic reactions to many OTC products, if you are such a person do not try an OTC treatments, instead work with your dermatologist. Fortunately I don't have any of the above issues and have been able to find relief with OTC products. The item (C) on the list was the first thing I tried and it worked immediately with very little cost or effort.

(A) The one that worked the best for me and the one that easily keeps it under control along with overall making my skin much nicer in appearance is to use a skin creme that contains Retinol A. Retinol A is a form of Vitamin A. It exfoliates the dead skin cells, takes the excess oil out of the sebaceous glands, kills the bacteria and it also seems to kill those microscopic critters as it is a mild acid. There are some reasonably priced Retiinol A products around even in some of the discount stores. Good news, just a little bit of it on your face at bedtime does go a long ways. Do not use it right around your eyes, especially if like me you have dry eyes and are prone to rubbing them. It is not good to get it into your eyes, it could harm them. See next tip for what you can do for your eye area that helps.

(B) They can and do get in the hair follicles of your eye lashes. For that baby shampoo is important since you can't use flea soap or Retinol A on them. Use a small amount of the baby shampoo on a wash cloth to clean your eyes in the morning and before bed time. A travel sized bottle will last quite a while. Or you can use non alcohol based witch hazel on a cotton facial cleansing pad. Makeup removers made for use around the eyes also work. The Thayers Alcohol Free Witch Hazel products are very nice and leave you with very smooth skin that is not dried out. It won't burn or sting if a little reaches your eyes. Of course always keep your eyes closed when you clean the skin surface around them. If you are having a more severe problem with your eyes itching then do see an eye doctor for a prescription antibiotic ointment to put on your eye area. I read one warning from a reputable eye clinic sight saying not to use OTC antibiotic ointments on your eyes as they can cause cornea scarring, a very good warning to pay attention to.

(C) When I learned it was caused by mites this method is the very first thing I tried. I got some flea soap from the pet supply store area and washed my hair and my face with it as well as my body and within minutes it got rid of the mites. I used it again several days later and then once a week or so for the next month. The life cycle of the Demodex mite is 2 weeks but of course they are not all on the same schedule of birth and death. People with Rosacea typically have been found to have 10 times the number of them as other people. However we all have some of them, that is completely normal. Use the flea soap  to quickly reduce a flare up . Of course don't get it into your eyes.  My suggestion for campers, even if you don't have rosacea and even if you don't have a pet, do have a small bottle or bar of flea soap in your first aid kit, you can pick up fleas and other microscopic critters when walking through grass. I used to garden a lot and had a long term persistent rash on my ankles, one day my brain finally kicked out that maybe it was caused by some invisible mite like insect I got while working in the garden. Sure enough the flea soap worked and the rash cleared up. That experience was what led me to try flea soap within minutes of finding out that Rosacea was caused by Demodex mites. Same result, it killed the Demodex mites too.

(D) Use astringent cleaner at bedtime and in the morning will help a lot by reducing their food sources of oil, dead skin, hormones on the skin etc and it also works by removing the bacteria released when they die.

(E) They can and do get in the hair follicles of your eye lashes. For that baby shampoo is important since you can't use flea soap or retinol A around them. Use a small amount of it on a wash cloth to clean your eyes in the morning and before bed time. And/or you can use non alcohol based witch hazel on a cotton facial cleansing pad.  The Thayers Alcohol Free Witch Hazel products are very nice and leave you with very smooth skin that is not dried out.  There are also eye lid and eye lash safe cleansing products at the drug stores in the aisle where they sell eye drops. Eye makeup remover pads will also work.

(F) OTC topical antibacterial ointments can help reduce a flareup. Antibiotic soaps can also help. The antibiotic acne creams also work. Remember it is our immune system response to the bacteria that is found inside the mites that is the cause of the Rosacea.

Of course as always do some research of your own and learn more about those tiny creatures that cause it and how it was discovered through research that they were the cause of it. It is a fascinating biological world out there. Always new scientific medical research going on turning up some amazing things.

Never stop learning, it is a great hobby for the road to d  ongoing education in all kinds of fields be they medical, engineering, computing, physical fitness, music, arts, photography etc. Sometimes what you learn might have immediate practical uses in your life.

Actually, tea tree oil does a better job than anything. You must dilute it in a carrier like coconut oil, or if acne is a problem, any good cream designed for the face (noncomedogenic). Tea tree oil kills the mites. To kill the ones in the eyelashes all you need to do is cover the base of the lashes with Vaseline. It suffocates the mites. Of course you don't want to get tea tree oil near the eyes! It won't harm them, but it will sting for a long time, no fun.

I would use great caution with retinoids in the desert. You can get a dreadful sunburn, heaping insult upon injury! Anyone using retinoids must cover their skin with at least SPF 70 sunscreen and wear a wide brimmed hat.

The Dire Wolfess

Everone has demodex mites....normal and you likely cannot be rid of them.

Thank you maki2 and Moxadox. 

I have Rosacea and Metronidazole 0.75% isn't working.  What the dermatologist wants me to try next is stinking expensive.  I'll try your suggestions instead.

Any recommendations for a noncomedogenic cream or oil?
And how dilute?

Moxadox said:
Actually, tea tree oil does a better job than anything.  You must dilute it in a carrier like coconut oil, or if acne is a problem, any good cream designed for the face (noncomedogenic).  Tea tree oil kills the mites.  To kill the ones in the eyelashes all you need to do is cover the base of the lashes with Vaseline.  It suffocates the mites.  Of course you don't want to get tea tree oil near the eyes!  It won't harm them, but it will sting for a long time, no fun.

I would use great caution with retinoids in the desert.  You can get a dreadful sunburn, heaping insult upon injury!  Anyone using retinoids must cover their skin with at least SPF 70 sunscreen and wear a wide brimmed hat.

The Dire Wolfess

Naturally you will want to exactly follow the directions on skin care products including the precautions. Most women are sensible when it comes to reading the directions.

RVTravel said:
Everone has demodex mites....normal and you likely cannot be rid of them. 

I did include in what I wrote that it is normal to have demodex mites. That there is no cure for Rosacea but it can be controlled.

Interesting stuff and I had never heard of any of this, thank for the write-up.

I had no idea we could have mites that were so small, either.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Thank you maki2 and Moxadox. 

I have Rosacea and Metronidazole 0.75% isn't working.  What the dermatologist wants me to try next is stinking expensive.  I'll try your suggestions instead.

Any recommendations for a noncomedogenic cream or oil?
And how dilute?
I'm partial to the Nutragena facial creams. I just add one drop of tea tree oil to a blob of cream in my hand, mix it up and apply. It stings at first, so be warned! After a few days the skin gets used to it. If it bothers your eyes, apply a tiny bit of Vaseline to the eye area beforehand.

The Dire Wolfess

I had rosacea for a number of years, and my doctor told me it was stress related. He gave me a prescription clear gel of some sort, which diminished it but did not clear it up.

It went away on its own after I retired.

I like Jason Vitamin E cream, which comes in a tub you can find at Walgreens, is under $10, does a great job of moisturizing and doesn’t clog pores.

I have wiped my face down nightly with witch hazel the past few years, which has helped enormously in reducing pores in oily areas.

Latest posts