Finally sharing my build out

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LookinUp

Reaction score
I hesitate to post this because there are so many amazing van builds out there. Mine's not new, not a hightop, but I'm in love with it. It's a 2012 Chevy Express 1500 and I did all the interior work myself (had never even built a birdhouse) a friend helped with the electric and solar. I tell people, it's not about the van, it's about the adventures it gets me to and I've already had many, starting a summer ago. I'm a backpacker/hiker and canoeist, so the minimalist lifestyle of van life is an easy fit. I just returned from my longest trip so far, 5 mos touring the western/northern states. Hoping to make it to Quartzsite this winter. For those interested, you can check out my blog for the build out at https://paddlehikeexplore.blogspot.com

Oh you lil humble bragger! That is a fantastic build! Looks great and you have waaaayyyyy better build out skills than me, I'm very impressed. Blog looks great to, I hope you don't mind if I post a direct link to your build, just in case bandwidth is an issue for some(it is for me at times). Again, VV nice! You can do mine next...lol. :cool:

https://paddlehikeexplore.blogspot.com/2017/10/the-van-build.html

Wabbit said:
Oh you lil humble bragger! That is a fantastic build! Looks great and you have waaaayyyyy better build out skills than me, I'm very impressed. Blog looks great to, I hope you don't mind if I post a direct link to your build, just in case bandwidth is an issue for some(it is for me at times). Again, VV nice! You can do mine next...lol. :cool:

https://paddlehikeexplore.blogspot.com/2017/10/the-van-build.html
Of course, and thanks so much! I've been a big fan of this site  for a while. I'm very proud of my accomplishment....then I see an amazing Sprinter that some 20 or 30 something did and I sort of melt....:) At 60 something I'm just happy to be healthy enough to enjoy life while I can, and the van has really made that possible.

Wow! I'm completely impressed with your building skills! I think you've done a great job, and it looks lovely.

Nice job! I have a Chevy 2500 Van that is almost done (See Stealth Race Van in this forum section). I like how you handled the battery box and shelving. I would like to do something similar in mine. Since I have not yet built a bulkhead the wardrobe closet would be a good thing to build. Then I need to figure out the other side leading over to the side barn doors...
Your work looks great and I like the practicality of it all. I also know what you mean about drilling out holes for the bed platform...Total pain in the ass!!!
Happy travels,
Artsyguy

Great job on the build out and thanks for sharing the pic's. I'm getting close to finishing mine and once I'm done I'll be able to take a breath and relax.. and then get some pictures up as well.

Artsyguy said:
Nice job!  I have a Chevy 2500 Van that is almost done (See Stealth Race Van in this forum section).  I like how you handled the battery box and shelving.  I would like to do something similar in mine.  Since I have not yet built a bulkhead the wardrobe closet would be a good thing to build.  Then I need to figure out the other side leading over to the side barn doors...
Your work looks great and I like the practicality of it all.  I also know what you mean about drilling out holes for the bed platform...Total pain in the ass!!!
Happy travels,
Artsyguy
Practicality is what was most important to me. Simple and functional.

Your van looks awesome and I love the turq/blue color. I hope to keep my interior light and bright as well!

Sailing VANessa said:
Nice job.  What size fridge is it?
50 L Dometic, I'm a vegetarian and eat lots of fresh stuff so it's a perfect size for me.

I love what you did. It looks like fresh air. Hope to meet you at RTR.

Sassy

I LOVE it! Everything from the clothes closet to the colors. Very Nice!

Sweeet! Nicely done, clean and simple. Congrats!

LookinUp said:
Of course, and thanks so much! I've been a big fan of this site  for a while. I'm very proud of my accomplishment....then I see an amazing Sprinter that some 20 or 30 something did and I sort of melt....:) At 60 something I'm just happy to be healthy enough to enjoy life while I can, and the van has really made that possible.

Your build looks light weight , very functional and very homey. I would say win win in all catagories. I myself laugh at some of the Sprinter builds. Overbuilding makes for too much weight to lug around. Thanks for sharing your build.

LookinUp said:
I hesitate to post this because there are so many amazing van builds out there ... For those interested, you can check out my blog for the build out at https://paddlehikeexplore.blogspot.com

You've done the most amazing job!  I'm so envious.  Goes to show ageism is nothing...  Your rig is awesome.  Extremely efficient and attractive.  Keep up the frat work and the beautiful travels!

You say that simple, functional practicality is important to you and yet you still turn out such a beautiful project, very impressive.