Finally got my van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfShadows

Reaction score
Drove to Seattle today and picked up my van. It is a 1994 Chevy 30 HD 4x4 Dually Utility. After four months of research it has come to this van. I would attach pics but keep getting message that file is too big, and that is just for 1 pic. Would like to share it with you but cannot. It is snow white. Naming it Snow Bunny. It is so unique looking . Best description is expedition vehicle. Now to convert it.

Congratulations. It's a good feeling once you get the van. Now a whole new set of ideas go in your head, how to do your build, van mids etc.

Again, congrats
Jackson

Got new wheels and tires for Snow Bunny and A,C serviced. Installing Cruise control on it tomorrow. The 454 purrs like a kitten. Wednesday I am changing the rear pinion seal and the transfer case seal. Still trying to locate a drag link for the front end (chassis, custom built from the factory). Snow Bunny has 30" ground clearance and has a short turning radius for it's size. The box is 9.5 ft long x 76" tall x 64" wide. So far I have ordered and received a ventless on demand water heater, Wave 3 heater, Camp chef oven/range, Paxcess 2000 watt generator, And a Road Master Swing down Spare tire carrier for the hitch. 19.5  tires are heavy! 9000BTU mini split A/C will be here Tuesday, I will install the condenser in a lockable- large side bay with plenty of airflow. All side bays lock. Ordered 2 Costway 52 qt Fridge/freezers one to be utilized as Fridge other for freezer. Researched a long time for a fridge. The reviews on this fridge are fantastic. at 2/3rd's the cost of one 85 qt Dometic Fridge I have 2 52qt. The reviews of the new Dometics are lackluster nice looking though. Whynter dimensions would not work for my build. Plus if one Fridge falters I have a back-up. Also receiving a Disco-Cam bunkbed next week. I will be using the upper bunk  for my bed and storing the lower bed to be used later for a guest. Break down and setup is just 5 minutes. Already have 2- 4" memory foam mattresses from my Class C I will be using. Installing a Maxaire in the rear barn door on the left upper. Leaving the roof for future solar installation. Still debating placement of fresh water tank. Gray water tank will be installed on frame underneath box.The sidewalls of box have 2" insulation, leaving roof bare for future solar installation.

30" ground clearance, wow. Are you sure you're supposed to be calling this rig a "van"? LOL. What is the box made of? You are definitely going to be equipped. Are you going to run A/C and 2 frigs off the generator?

HalfShadows
Great News on Van! Snow Bunny is a great name. It must be exciting to find the "One" after 4 months. It sounds like you found a unique vehicle that will be great for exploring. I decided on my Chevy Suburban because it gave me Great Roof space-4WD and easy to truck for stealth parking I also plan to use as a Wide Load truck I'm installing the Yellow LED Lights ETC; I bet you have all kinds of ideas if possible share the build with the community CRVL has great folks who are willing to advise and help when you hit that "Brick Wall" during the build. I wish I could help on the picture thing but have no clue I'm sure someone here will have an answer.
Wishing You & Snow Bunney The Best!
Peace & Blessings
MikesgonenoMAD

"Researched a long time for a fridge. The reviews on this fridge are fantastic. at 2/3rd's the cost of one 85 qt Dometic Fridge I have 2 52qt. The reviews of the new Dometics are lackluster nice looking though. Whynter dimensions would not work for my build"
Yes there are many of Brand Fridges that have good review I have a Della 72 Qt Fridge bought a year ago for $300 and a smaller 20 QT I bought for $225 they both work great! I plan on using the big one as a Freezer and the small one for daily supplies which means I will only open the Big one may 1-2 a Day so it will maintain low temps easily and not drain much, the only drag is the big one takes up alot of space :)
Pease & Blessings!~
MikesgonenoMAD
PS I would attach links but can't find them available on Amazon

Congratulations on the purchase of your Snow Bunny! I'm having to wait for my van purchase. I'm getting good at waiting. Traveling anyway - in a car. Day trips... will have to satisfy me for now. I like the Disco-Cam bunkbeds and have considered them for my future van but right now am thinking a foldable, storable bed/cot would do fine, to start. Let us know how you like sleeping on your Disco-Cam...

Q. Going to run the fridges off battery/alternator/solar. Going to run the Mini Split A/C off of Solar. Mini Split A/C systems use little power compared to conventional A/C ,they also provide heat as well. I am unsure of the resilience of them. Will report back when it is up and running for couple of months. Snow Bunny will be the test bed for that.

QinReno said:
30" ground clearance, wow. Are you sure you're supposed to be calling this rig a "van"? LOL. What is the box made of? You are definitely going to be equipped. Are you going to run A/C and 2 frigs off the generator?

travelaround said:
Congratulations on the purchase of your Snow Bunny! I'm having to wait for my van purchase. I'm getting good at waiting. Traveling anyway - in a car. Day trips... will have to satisfy me for now. I like the Disco-Cam bunkbeds and have considered them for my future van but right now am thinking a foldable, storable bed/cot would do fine, to start. Let us know how you like sleeping on your Disco-Cam...
Check local government and state auctions. you will be surprised at the oddities of vehicles they have for sale. Snow Bunny was a Electrical Emergency Response Vehicle. This part of Washington, the trees and high waters provide obstacles for accessing downed Power Lines etc. Snow bunny has a large winch for dragging trees out of the way. Snow Bunny is huge yet small, if that makes any since.

MikesGonenoMAD said:
HalfShadows
Great News on Van! Snow Bunny is a great name. It must be exciting to find the "One" after 4 months. It sounds like you found a unique vehicle that will be great for exploring. I decided on my Chevy Suburban because it gave me Great Roof space-4WD and easy to truck for stealth parking I also plan to use as a Wide Load truck I'm installing the Yellow LED Lights ETC; I bet you have all kinds of ideas if possible share the build with the community CRVL has great folks who are willing to advise and help when you hit that "Brick Wall" during the build. I wish I could help on the picture thing but have no clue I'm sure someone here will have an answer.
Wishing You & Snow Bunney The Best!
Peace & Blessings
MikesgonenoMAD

Thanks MGM :D

Wow, you got it!  It's sitting in your driveway!  It just got real, HalfShadows!  Congratulations!  If you're documenting your build somewhere online, let me know where because I'd like to follow along.  Especially when it comes to installing that A/C unit because reviews on those units say installation can be tricky.  Also, let us know how the Costway fridge works out.  (Smart buy!  I refuse to spend near $1,000 for a fridge or a toilet, especially when there are great alternatives out there.)  I think the CampChef was a good choice.  Excellent reviews.  What made you choose the Disc-O-Bed?  I'm assuming it won't be a permanent install?

I want to do the same thing and save my roof for solar panels, but I'm not sure how I feel about installing a fan on the side of my van (when I get one).  I haven't ruled it out, but I haven't decided either.  How much solar are you going with?  

My suggestion when it comes to the fresh water tank is to get a bigger one than you think you need right now.  For example, if you're planning on a 7, 10, or 20 gallon tank, get a 30 gallon one instead.  You can still just put only 7, 10, or 20 gallons in it. You don't have to fill it completely.  But, if you're going off-grid for an extended period of time, the opportunity of having that extra water storage could come in handy by giving you the freedom to extend your stay without having to find a place to refill a smaller tank.  It'll save you some buyer's remorse later if you decide that you wish you had put in a larger tank in the beginning.  Switching it out later would be a headache.  But, if you go with a larger one now, then you're planning ahead.

As for the name, why Snow Bunny?  What kind of plans do you have for your build?

Jack said:
Wow, you got it!  It's sitting in your driveway!  It just got real, HalfShadows!  Congratulations!  If you're documenting your build somewhere online, let me know where because I'd like to follow along.  Especially when it comes to installing that A/C unit because reviews on those units say installation can be tricky.  Also, let us know how the Costway fridge works out.  (Smart buy!  I refuse to spend near $1,000 for a fridge or a toilet, especially when there are great alternatives out there.)  I think the CampChef was a good choice.  Excellent reviews.  What made you choose the Disc-O-Bed?  I'm assuming it won't be a permanent install?

I want to do the same thing and save my roof for solar panels, but I'm not sure how I feel about installing a fan on the side of my van (when I get one).  I haven't ruled it out, but I haven't decided either.  How much solar are you going with?  

My suggestion when it comes to the fresh water tank is to get a bigger one than you think you need right now.  For example, if you're planning on a 7, 10, or 20 gallon tank, get a 30 gallon one instead.  You can still just put only 7, 10, or 20 gallons in it. You don't have to fill it completely.  But, if you're going off-grid for an extended period of time, the opportunity of having that extra water storage could come in handy by giving you the freedom to extend your stay without having to find a place to refill a smaller tank.  It'll save you some buyer's remorse later if you decide that you wish you had put in a larger tank in the beginning.  Switching it out later would be a headache.  But, if you go with a larger one now, then you're planning ahead.

As for the name, why Snow Bunny?  What kind of plans do you have for your build?
Hi Jack. I am keeping the water system internal.(freeze reduction) Snow Bunny Weighs 6000 lbs base. Has GVWR of 14,600. That gives me over 8000 lbs to play with. Of course never will consider aspiring to that weight. I am considering 100 gallon tank now. Will fit perfect under disco bed. Will travel with 20-30 gallons. For an extended stay i can top it off. The disco bed is just so versatile, will be storing half of it in case of guest. Installing ventless water heater for shower and sink. Snow Bunny's name is derived from many characterisics that I cannot share. Plus it sounds great for the grand kids.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

100 gal of water is 800-pounds, and 30-gal is 240-pounds. I wonder about that amount of weight sloshing around when driving on a wet or snowy road, but I suppose people do it all the time in their regular RVs. Plus whatever is in the grey and black water tanks.

QinReno said:
100 gal of water is 800-pounds, and 30-gal is 240-pounds. I wonder about that amount of weight sloshing around when driving on a wet or snowy road, but I suppose people do it all the time in their regular RVs.
Q. It has internal baffles to reduce the effects of sloshing.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

QinReno said:
So this rig is more like a tank than a van! Sounds not unlike a Fuso. You might be interested in these guys' experiences.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiCG0ehE-Zc9GnwCcFqtAhw/videos

Q Their Exploration vehicle probably Cost them 200k plus. By the time I am done with Snow Bunny it will be 1/10th that price. Snow Bunny is smaller, but more maneuverable. Snow Bunny has way better turning radius than my F150. More of a APC than a Tank :D

We met two Unimogs in the desert. The folks were from Germany and Belgium. One of the men said it cost about $10,000 to have them shipped over for their trip. Amazing!

1/2 - congratulations on your Van. Are you able to post a photo?